The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 October 2022, 10:05 PM   #1
grn_zx6r
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor 78500 bracelet without markings?

Hello, can anyone confirm if Tudor produced 78500 bracelets that did not have “78500” engraved in the last links? Clasp is engraved “78500” and “Z5”. Has 10 links total, 5 on either side of the clasp. Just trying to confirm it’s genuine and not something someone put together using an aftermarket 78500/93150 knock off with a Tudor clasp/diving extension.
grn_zx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 08:42 AM   #2
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Show the band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 05:48 AM   #3
grn_zx6r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Show the band

images attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3337.jpg (224.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3338.jpg (257.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3336.jpg (278.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 17 October 2022, 08:36 AM   #4
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

You have the box there? Where did you get it?

Old 17 October 2022, 10:32 PM   #5
grn_zx6r
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You have the box there? Where did you get it?

Purchased it off eBay. It was shipped in that box but the seller said it came off a used watch. I sent it back for a refund I didn’t realize my dealer could order me one directly.
Old 21 October 2022, 01:30 AM   #6
Rwc1313
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grn_zx6r View Post
Purchased it off eBay. It was shipped in that box but the seller said it came off a used watch. I sent it back for a refund I didn’t realize my dealer could order me one directly.
I've been wondering this as well and I also spoke to that seller. I asked about the markings and authenticity and he replied like this "Some are stamped and some are not...This came off an origninal 79190 watch...it is not stamped 78500 on the end link...but it is 100% authentic."

I asked because I recently bought a late 1997 79190 submariner and it has the same unmarked linked bracelet on it, however it has the correct marked authentic 380b endlinks and a correct 78500 marked clasp with a Z4 date code. I initially thought maybe someone swapped out the links for aftermarket but now I am not so sure. A local watchmaker took a look at the links and screw pins and was leaning towards the authentic side.

I looked at a bunch of sold/unsold listings for the same reference and what I've come up with was that maybe the very first 78500 bracelets that were shipped on watches might not have been stamped. 79190's with serial numbers up until about B93xxx or B94xxx have the folded 9315 with the appropriate marked clasp and then switched to the solid 78500 bracelet. All of the 79190 listings with these serial numbers and later seem to have the unmarked bracelet if with the appropriate clasp date code. Any I have seen with the link stamped bracelet have a later date code on the clasp suggesting it was ordered and added later on. The bracelet posted by the OP has a Z5 date code on the clasp which would support my theory. So if I am right it looks like they might have switched around mid to late 1997 which was a transition period for Tudor anyways when they were moving away from Rolex marked parts, i.e. caseback, crown, ect... This said I am solely going of several listings I have been able to dig up on the internet and there aren't a ton around for this specific time period.

This is obviously fueled by wishful thinking on my part due to owning one and not wanting to buy another bracelet. However it is nice knowing that and AD can source one for far less than what I see people selling them for. I think the wait time is only a few weeks. But I guess it is worth knowing if someone wants to find out if their watch is all original. I would love to hear any info from people on here.
Rwc1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 02:05 PM   #7
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

I’m curious what you paid for it? I walked into a Rolex dealer and paid $1250 for a full 12 link 93150 w/580 endlinks for my 94110.

I bought a 78500 3-4 years ago for $750 or so, I bet they are 8-900 from a Tudor dealer. If you have a watch without a band you can order one from a dealer.

I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have the 78500 on it personally. Linesiders would be the one to ask about it.

Old 23 October 2022, 02:07 PM   #8
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Derp, I see you ordered one. I think you made the right move.

Old 26 October 2022, 03:20 AM   #9
Rwc1313
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m curious what you paid for it? I walked into a Rolex dealer and paid $1250 for a full 12 link 93150 w/580 endlinks for my 94110.

I bought a 78500 3-4 years ago for $750 or so, I bet they are 8-900 from a Tudor dealer. If you have a watch without a band you can order one from a dealer.

I don’t like the fact that it doesn’t have the 78500 on it personally. Linesiders would be the one to ask about it.

When I called and talked to the AD near me they confirmed they could order one and I believe it was $750 or $850, I can't remember exactly.

I see the ebay bracelet has been relisted but with clear pictures of the unmarked last links. The seller says it came off a 79190 with a H102xxx serial which would mean the watch head would have been one of the last in production, late 1998 or even early 1999? There are no photos of the watch to prove this serial number though. The Z5 clasp code would be correct for that.
Old 28 October 2022, 04:07 AM   #10
Rwc1313
"TRF" Member

I noticed two recent listings with the unmarked 78500 bracelet in the last couple of days. The first is on ebay with what I am assuming is a 1997 or 1998 produced 79190. However the date code on the clasp is just out of frame and the pictures are not the best quality. I messaged the seller asking if he could provide the first part of the serial number.

The second listing is for a 79090 that would not have come with a 78500 but it appears someone may have taken an early one off of another watch and put it on. No last link marking but you can see the end link stamp and the Z4 clasp code.

I am a new member so I cannot post links, if anyone is interested the ebay listing is the most recent under the search "Tudor 79190" and has the steel bezel insert. The second is on reddit's r/watchexchange and posted as "Tudor Submariner 79090" by the user u/SyndicateHouse

I realize I could be beating a dead horse here but I feel like this could be valuable information for those who may have one of these bracelets. The value and originality of a watch could vary a decent amount depending on if the bracelet is deemed original or not.