The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 1 May 2018, 02:13 PM   #151
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The older Oyster DDs are great. Congratulations.
thanks! just a little bit of anxiety until it arrives...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (109.9 KB, 634 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2018, 10:42 AM   #152
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

arrived!

Quote:
The older Oyster DDs are great. Congratulations.
it arrived yesterday and it is nice! Bracelet code is '86. Nice and slim. It gained 10 seconds day one, so that ain't bad and I will monitor it. Is yours acrylic? The bracelet, I guess these are known as folded links- do not give many options huh. It fits but barely. Also, I wonder if it is 35mm as opposed to 36. It is not really noticeable, and my measuring instrument is crude, but even 36 is pushing it for me. But Rolex has that way of laying out the dial...

And it weighs 80 grams!!! It is nice, I'm happy, thank you and the rest for the cool pics and details...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (102.8 KB, 621 views)
Old 5 May 2018, 09:20 PM   #153
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Looks good. Should be 36mm, as it's a Datejust case, I think. The 76200 has a sapphire crystal and solid links.
Old 5 May 2018, 11:48 PM   #154
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
it arrived yesterday and it is nice! Bracelet code is '86. Nice and slim. It gained 10 seconds day one, so that ain't bad and I will monitor it. Is yours acrylic? The bracelet, I guess these are known as folded links- do not give many options huh. It fits but barely. Also, I wonder if it is 35mm as opposed to 36. It is not really noticeable, and my measuring instrument is crude, but even 36 is pushing it for me. But Rolex has that way of laying out the dial...

And it weighs 80 grams!!! It is nice, I'm happy, thank you and the rest for the cool pics and details...
Very nice congrats..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:03 AM   #155
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks good. Should be 36mm, as it's a Datejust case, I think. The 76200 has a sapphire crystal and solid links.
thank you! I don't think the case is the same as a DJ... your pictures show them as different...
Old 6 May 2018, 04:04 AM   #156
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Very nice congrats..
thanks Chuck!
Old 6 May 2018, 04:10 AM   #157
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Now for another of my hard to answer questions... my Tudor barely fits me. I'd like it a little bit looser. I was told it wasn't resized. It has 18 links. I know mine is different than the older ones, but would anyone know if 18 links was standard? My wrist is big, and even with my new Explorer, I have it at the max, but I would think I should have more room.

This also has what I guess are folded links. New for me, never had them before. Am I right in guessing they are kind of cheap and difficult to work with? I imagine adding links- if available- would be difficult, and I'd like to keep it on the bracelet. It is comfortable and light.
Old 6 May 2018, 04:38 AM   #158
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Back of case

Quote:
oops! Your watch is different than mine. here is the back of mine, I'll try to compare it w the pic of your DJ. My DJs are gone, I wish I kept maybe one of them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (60.2 KB, 596 views)
Old 6 May 2018, 09:23 AM   #159
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
thank you! I don't think the case is the same as a DJ... your pictures show them as different...
There's a difference in my comparison pic because my DJ 1603 is 1966 and my DD 76200 is around 2016. If you compare a mid 1980s DJ with yours, I think you'll see a better match.
Old 6 May 2018, 09:26 AM   #160
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Now for another of my hard to answer questions... my Tudor barely fits me. I'd like it a little bit looser. I was told it wasn't resized. It has 18 links. I know mine is different than the older ones, but would anyone know if 18 links was standard? My wrist is big, and even with my new Explorer, I have it at the max, but I would think I should have more room.

This also has what I guess are folded links. New for me, never had them before. Am I right in guessing they are kind of cheap and difficult to work with? I imagine adding links- if available- would be difficult, and I'd like to keep it on the bracelet. It is comfortable and light.
There should be 22 links, I believe. They are hard to remove/replace, but there will likely be vids on youtube. I had the local RSC size mine (for free).
Old 6 May 2018, 09:45 AM   #161
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There should be 22 links, I believe. They are hard to remove/replace, but there will likely be vids on youtube. I had the local RSC size mine (for free).
I think ours are really two different watches. The links are different, correct? I suspect the newer ones may be fitted for a bigger wrist now. I wonder what was standard back then. I have read, with limited research, that the folded links are very hard to deal with and I think hard to put back on a bracelet... it is actually "bent" to secure the link, correct? If anything strikes anyone, suggestions, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll see. I have a nice leather I'd like to get on something.

A little observation. Mine is lighter than my Turtle, which is on a rubber strap! I like that!
Old 6 May 2018, 09:49 AM   #162
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
don't yours have screws?
Old 6 May 2018, 10:02 AM   #163
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I think ours are really two different watches. The links are different, correct? I suspect the newer ones may be fitted for a bigger wrist now. I wonder what was standard back then. I have read, with limited research, that the folded links are very hard to deal with and I think hard to put back on a bracelet... it is actually "bent" to secure the link, correct? If anything strikes anyone, suggestions, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll see. I have a nice leather I'd like to get on something.

A little observation. Mine is lighter than my Turtle, which is on a rubber strap! I like that!
Quote:
don't yours have screws?
Maybe I am not being clear. I was talking about my old DJ jubilee bracelet, which is similar to your DD bracelet, having 22 links originally, and being sized by RSC. Yes, my DD and your DD are different watches, produced about 30 years apart, and with different reference numbers. Mine has a sapphire crystal and a modern solid link bracelet with screws, but with folded endlinks.
Old 6 May 2018, 10:11 AM   #164
mineral
"TRF" Member

The Tudor DD is getting more popular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6 May 2018, 10:13 AM   #165
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe I am not being clear. I was talking about my old DJ jubilee bracelet, which is similar to your DD bracelet, having 22 links originally, and being sized by RSC. Yes, my DD and your DD are different watches, produced about 30 years apart, and with different reference numbers. Mine has a sapphire crystal and a modern solid link bracelet with screws, but with folded endlinks.
thank you! And once again, your DJ is from the '60s, right... so there's about 20 years difference. I kind of wonder if the Tudor is its own man...
Old 6 May 2018, 10:17 AM   #166
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
thank you! And once again, your DJ is from the '60s, right... so there's about 20 years difference. I kind of wonder if the Tudor is its own man...
Right, 1966.
Old 7 May 2018, 12:30 AM   #167
kimquyet88
"TRF" Member

congratulate to you . very cool
kimquyet88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 04:52 AM   #168
bharat
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the informative review Adam, watch looks great!
bharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:23 AM   #169
Old Expat Beast

Thanks Bharat
Old 7 May 2018, 10:54 PM   #170
skrtalal
"TRF" Member

very cool ..thanks
skrtalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 03:24 AM   #171
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Rolex is always a bit loose with measurements. The 36mm DJ has always been more like 35mm. If you measure diagonally, though, with some of the case in there, it gets to 36mm. Heck, if you measure the bezel alone, you may end up with something even smaller:

77T's pic:
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 04:35 AM   #172
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Well, after (almost) a week, this watch is certainly living up to expectations.........

Great write up and great looking watch.. Love it..
Congrats...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 07:05 AM   #173
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Rolex is always a bit loose with measurements. The 36mm DJ has always been more like 35mm. If you measure diagonally, though, with some of the case in there, it gets to 36mm. Heck, if you measure the bezel alone, you may end up with something even smaller:

77T's pic:
thank you Douglas! You may very well be correct. I have seen the datejust sometimes indicated as 35mm. And on my wrist, the Tudor does not seem smaller than a DJ, though I don't have one to compare it to and still have not got myself a calipers. Thanks again for that bit of reassurance!
Old 26 May 2018, 07:57 AM   #174
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thank you Douglas! You may very well be correct. I have seen the datejust sometimes indicated as 35mm. And on my wrist, the Tudor does not seem smaller than a DJ, though I don't have one to compare it to and still have not got myself a calipers. Thanks again for that bit of reassurance!
Yeah, I no longer have my 16220 around to compare to the 76200, but they feel the same size.
Old 26 May 2018, 11:11 PM   #175
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I no longer have my 16220 around to compare to the 76200, but they feel the same size.
*edit: Whoops, I meant 16200.
Old 27 May 2018, 01:04 AM   #176
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
agree, the "feel" is the same. The Tudor sure seems very similarly related to the Datejust. Although I'm no pro, I think I would notice it or feel uncomfortable if it seemed too small. I really like datejusts and have owned a good few but none stuck around. I also may regret parting with a few. My recent acquisition is a honey though. It looks great and I'd say satisfies my Datejust thing...
Old 27 May 2018, 04:17 AM   #177
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
agree, the "feel" is the same. The Tudor sure seems very similarly related to the Datejust. Although I'm no pro, I think I would notice it or feel uncomfortable if it seemed too small. I really like datejusts and have owned a good few but none stuck around. I also may regret parting with a few. My recent acquisition is a honey though. It looks great and I'd say satisfies my Datejust thing...
Yeah, I mean, what you essentially have is a Rolex DJ case and bracelet with with a slightly different dial and ETA movement. It's a bit like buying a current Lotus with their fantastic and reliable Toyota-based engines.
Old 27 May 2018, 11:26 AM   #178
jatco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Yeah, I mean, what you essentially have is a Rolex DJ case and bracelet with with a slightly different dial and ETA movement. It's a bit like buying a current Lotus with their fantastic and reliable Toyota-based engines.
..nothing wrong with that...

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 04:55 PM   #179
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
..nothing wrong with that...
Agreed. Tudor Date+Day is my favorite watch.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:00 PM   #180
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for your views on the Tudor! I sense top quality- Rolex quality in the case, hands and dial. This one has the Rolex crown too. And I love the acrylic crystal. I feel it is kind of warmer and maybe less bling. The bracelet fits, feels and looks great, but I sense a lower quality; am I correct here? It fits but barely, and I think it has all the links. From what I gather changing links or especially adding them on a folded link bracelet is difficult. Some running issues that I will mention, but overall happy with this watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1787.jpg (178.5 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1790.jpg (119.6 KB, 661 views)