The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 July 2018, 12:27 AM   #1
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
BMG - Bulk Metalloc Glass

Ok paneristi ... I just saw this on IG and thought I'd post as I haven't seen this topic covered here.

Does anyone have any insight as to the pros and cons of making watch cases using this process?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 12:53 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Ruud confirmed in another thread that the 692 is FINALLY for sale.

Here are a few excerpts from an article available on the internet (click here), but the whole article is worth a read (plus, lots of great pictures):

In short, bulk metallic glass is a metal alloy with an amorphous structure versus a crystalline structure. This allows for fewer surface imperfections in the base material, that translates into a number of benefits for the consumer.

Compared to traditional stainless steel, bulk metallic glass is 2-3 times stronger and more scratch resistant, lighter in weight, tougher in terms of rigidity, and also more corrosion resistant.

[...]

Unlike steel, bulk metallic glass has a lot more zirconium in it (which is why it has “glass” in the name), and it also happens to be non-ferrous (not magnetic). Panerai says that their particular bulk metallic glass alloy blend consists of zirconium, copper, aluminum, titanium, and nickel. What matters is that BMG-TECH looks a lot like steel, and can be decorated like steel – but it isn’t steel. Other alternative materials to metals sadly don’t look like metals – even if they are preferred by consumers and offer manufacturing benefits. Bulk metallic glass is essentially a metal alloy, so it can be polished like metal, and is tough like metal in that a fall on a hard surface would never shatter it (a possibility with ceramic). So the goal here is to find materials that offer the same aesthetic appeal as a metal, but that are easier to produce into finely-finished parts, and that offer consumers clear durability benefits.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:37 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Ruud confirmed in another thread that the 692 is FINALLY for sale.

Here are a few excerpts from an article available on the internet (click here), but the whole article is worth a read (plus, lots of great pictures):

In short, bulk metallic glass is a metal alloy with an amorphous structure versus a crystalline structure. This allows for fewer surface imperfections in the base material, that translates into a number of benefits for the consumer.

Compared to traditional stainless steel, bulk metallic glass is 2-3 times stronger and more scratch resistant, lighter in weight, tougher in terms of rigidity, and also more corrosion resistant.

[...]

Unlike steel, bulk metallic glass has a lot more zirconium in it (which is why it has “glass” in the name), and it also happens to be non-ferrous (not magnetic). Panerai says that their particular bulk metallic glass alloy blend consists of zirconium, copper, aluminum, titanium, and nickel. What matters is that BMG-TECH looks a lot like steel, and can be decorated like steel – but it isn’t steel. Other alternative materials to metals sadly don’t look like metals – even if they are preferred by consumers and offer manufacturing benefits. Bulk metallic glass is essentially a metal alloy, so it can be polished like metal, and is tough like metal in that a fall on a hard surface would never shatter it (a possibility with ceramic). So the goal here is to find materials that offer the same aesthetic appeal as a metal, but that are easier to produce into finely-finished parts, and that offer consumers clear durability benefits.

Bingo 👍
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:51 AM   #4
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
I won't post what I was going to, b/c Cru's excerpt he found was perfect.

I am drooling over this watch, and praying Panerai makes it in a 44mm. I will wait for as long as I have to if that happens.
Unfortunately, when I spoke to the guys at the boutique in Beverly Hills, I'm not terribly confident that will happen.

There will be a lot more of the carbotech watches that come out in the next few years from what I heard, but the BMG -- not so sure about that.
Much will depend on how the 47mm submersible is received, given that they have finally overcome the stumbling blocks that delayed the watch's release.
I would imagine people who get it are going to love it, so hopefully they see that and will produce similar models
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 07:29 AM   #5
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

It's a great looking piece. My only "but" is that I wish they had put the "BMG-Tech" designation on the case back instead of the dial.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 09:23 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Kind of hoping Paul sees this thread and comments ... I wonder if he’s seen it?
Old 12 July 2018, 10:30 PM   #7
nick c
Banned

We’re is Paul?^^
Old 12 July 2018, 11:37 PM   #8
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Kind of hoping Paul sees this thread and comments ... I wonder if he’s seen it?
Seen it, tried it and, if I’m honest, was a little underwhelmed by it. I don’t dislike it but, and this is going to sound a bit messed up, it was lacking something. I don’t know what, but it felt like there was something missing. It was if I had a non-functioning prototype on my wrist and not the real thing. Doesn’t look all that much in the flesh either, I’d much rather a 389

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=610960

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
We’re is Paul?^^
I’m here, mate.

My head is elsewhere of late; got a lot going on with moving back to the UK in just over three weeks and yet another injury keeping me out of the gym

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #9
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Seen it, tried it and, if I’m honest, was a little underwhelmed by it. I don’t dislike it but, and this is going to sound a bit messed up, it was lacking something. I don’t know what, but it felt like there was something missing. It was if I had a non-functioning prototype on my wrist and not the real thing. Doesn’t look all that much in the flesh either, I’d much rather a 389

I’m here, mate.

My head is elsewhere of late; got a lot going on with moving back to the UK in just over three weeks and yet another injury keeping me out of the gym

Wishing you all the best my friend 🙏
Old 13 July 2018, 12:56 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post

I’m here, mate.

Interesting info Paul, thank you. I'm always appreciative of your thoughts on anything Panerai.

I suppose there's no substitute for good ole SS

Old 16 July 2018, 03:54 PM   #11
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Wishing you all the best my friend ��
Thank you, my brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Interesting info Paul, thank you. I'm always appreciative of your thoughts on anything Panerai.

I suppose there's no substitute for good ole SS

Ah, don't listen to me, Brian. I'm too gaffe-prone

If the 692 interests you, then go check it out. As I said in my post about it, I'd have one as part of a collection if I had a lot more money to splash but there are other PAM Submersibles that I'd go for first, as well as the 424.

It might really blow your skirt up; we're all different, mate

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote