The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2010, 08:44 AM   #1
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Icon9 Watch for the Deer everyone!

Alot easier said than done sometimes. This time of year the rut is underway making these buggers even more active.
5:30 am...65 MPH (highway speed)...no where to go.

Could have been alot worse than just $3K in damage to a 6 month old Civic. Thankfully she didn't suffer.

CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 08:51 AM   #2
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Glad to hear that you are OK and the Deer did not suffer. Stinks about the car though.

Not to make light of the situation....but the "hair" and "poop" notations really cracked me up!
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
WoW !!

At least you are safe, that's all that matters. Material things can be replaced (or repaired in this case).

I have seen MUCH worse from hitting deer, but anytime you strike a large animal your almost guaranteed some damage :(
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:09 AM   #4
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Glad to hear that you are OK and the Deer did not suffer. Stinks about the car though.

Not to make light of the situation....but the "hair" and "poop" notations really cracked me up!
Scott
That's OK

I just wanted to remind everyone who live and drive near these guys that it can happen at anytime.
Old 23 October 2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I must be a bad person because your labels made me chuckle out loud.
I'm glad you made it out unharmed. A few feet closer to center and he could have ended up in your lap. Deer are a serious hazard where I live as well. I saw an elk in the street about 20 yards from my house last year. I stopped in amazement. I had no idea that there were any around here. He was a BIG bastard!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:10 AM   #6
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
WoW !!

At least you are safe, that's all that matters. Material things can be replaced (or repaired in this case).

I have seen MUCH worse from hitting deer, but anytime you strike a large animal your almost guaranteed some damage :(
Thanks Mike...this happened right near Danbury. So be careful you nutmegger!
Old 23 October 2010, 09:15 AM   #7
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I must be a bad person because your labels made me chuckle out loud.
I'm glad you made it out unharmed. A few feet closer to center and he could have ended up in your lap. Deer are a serious hazard where I live as well. I saw an elk in the street about 20 yards from my house last year. I stopped in amazement. I had no idea that there were any around here. He was a BIG bastard!
Thanks Doc. You're correct...a foot or two to the center and she would have been over the bonnet and on the windscreen...as our British mates would say

Elk in PA? I do think it's possible. We had a Moose come within a couple of miles of my house a few years ago. All the way down from Vermont looking for love.
Old 23 October 2010, 09:16 AM   #8
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
That's OK

I just wanted to remind everyone who live and drive near these guys that it can happen at anytime.
I saw a big buck & two does yesterday morning after we dropped the kids off at school. I scared the hell out of my wife because I yelled at her to stop because they were running parallel to us just beyond the ditch. I was afraid they were going to turn and cut across the road. They were close enough that I could see the felt on his antlers.
Scott

Member No. 922
Old 23 October 2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Glad your okay, Alan.
Could have been worse if it were a sheep from NZ.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:28 AM   #10
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Sorry to hear about the mishap Allan...It could have been worse though.!

Up here,it's rare to not see them on a short drive between towns...We have one highway here actually named by the locals as "Deer Alley"!
The worst part is the insurance issues.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap Allan...It could have been worse though.!

Up here,it's rare to not see them on a short drive between towns...We have one highway here actually named by the locals as "Deer Alley"!
The worst part is the insurance issues.
What insurance issues?

十人十色
Old 23 October 2010, 09:37 AM   #12
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Wow, that is pretty scary! Glad you're OK though....sorry about the car.
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:38 AM   #13
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
What insurance issues?
Well,I'm not sure how it works in the States...Up here you need to pay your deductible to repair the vehicle and then on renewal of your insurance when it comes due,your rates increase for making the claim!! (loosing your no claim bonus). The insurance company considers you at fault,thus raising your rates!

Old 23 October 2010, 09:40 AM   #14
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
That's nasty. Glad you're OK.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Deer are thick this time of year in Minnesota. If I smack one with my ozone killing/oil cartel worshiping SUV, no big deal. If I collide with one on my Harley, very big deal.

I have had two VERY close calls this year with the big brown menace. One encounter about left me with a drawer full of recycled White Castles if you get CoopJrs' drift...
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:49 AM   #16
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
One little police story.

It was about 10:00pm on a weeknight. Cold Falltime evening. I had gone my entire shift without a call.

The dispathcer sent me to a single car accident with a deer. I eased that way, and when I arrived all hell broke loose!

A man traveling on a 4 lane highway slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a deer. He still hit the deer. The man behind him rearended him. The vehicle behind that one swerved off the road bursting two tires........That's not all

The deer was hit, and flew into the opposite direction of traffic. A young girl hit the deer (which was dead from the first car). She stopped her car after turning the deer into nuggets.

A sweet young guy pulled in front of the young girls car, and went to console her (nobody else). Two other cars traveling at normal speed slowed behind the parked girls car.

And it continues......An elderly man driving mach 4.3 in a minivan was re-entering earths atmosphere from his orbit. (he couldn't see past the front bumper, so speed didn't really matter.) The old guy slammed into the line of cars.

I pulled up expecting a little car, and couple dents on the fender.......But found 8 cars stacked like chord wood, and patches of deer fur rolling all over. It stunk of deer crap, and car fluids.

I wrote the old guy a ticket for following too close. He took it to court, and I had to tell the story all over. The judge asked the man if I was the officer who wrote him the ticket. He said "I'm not sure. I can't see more than 5 feet". The entire courtroom was rolling.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 09:57 AM   #17
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
One little police story.

It was about 10:00pm on a weeknight. Cold Falltime evening. I had gone my entire shift without a call.

The dispathcer sent me to a single car accident with a deer. I eased that way, and when I arrived all hell broke loose!

A man traveling on a 4 lane highway slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a deer. He still hit the deer. The man behind him rearended him. The vehicle behind that one swerved off the road bursting two tires........That's not all

The deer was hit, and flew into the opposite direction of traffic. A young girl hit the deer (which was dead from the first car). She stopped her car after turning the deer into nuggets.

A sweet young guy pulled in front of the young girls car, and went to console her (nobody else). Two other cars traveling at normal speed slowed behind the parked girls car.

And it continues......An elderly man driving mach 4.3 in a minivan was re-entering earths atmosphere from his orbit. (he couldn't see past the front bumper, so speed didn't really matter.) The old guy slammed into the line of cars.

I pulled up expecting a little car, and couple dents on the fender.......But found 8 cars stacked like chord wood, and patches of deer fur rolling all over. It stunk of deer crap, and car fluids.

I wrote the old guy a ticket for following too close. He took it to court, and I had to tell the story all over. The judge asked the man if I was the officer who wrote him the ticket. He said "I'm not sure. I can't see more than 5 feet". The entire courtroom was rolling.
Geez, I hope this guy is no longer driving!

Good story Paul , but you were missing the pictures with poop notations
Scott

Member No. 922
Old 23 October 2010, 10:26 AM   #18
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
Well,I'm not sure how it works in the States...Up here you need to pay your deductible to repair the vehicle and then on renewal of your insurance when it comes due,your rates increase for making the claim!! (loosing your no claim bonus). The insurance company considers you at fault,thus raising your rates!
Rob...no doubt this is what they are going to do to me. No way I get off free while they fork over $2,500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
That's nasty. Glad you're OK.
Thanks Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Wow, that is pretty scary! Glad you're OK though....sorry about the car.
Thanks Karis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Glad your okay, Alan.
Could have been worse if it were a sheep from NZ.
Thanks Chip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Deer are thick this time of year in Minnesota. If I smack one with my ozone killing/oil cartel worshiping SUV, no big deal. If I collide with one on my Harley, very big deal.

I have had two VERY close calls this year with the big brown menace. One encounter about left me with a drawer full of recycled White Castles if you get CoopJrs' drift...
Way worse on the bike obviously...I get your drift
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
One little police story.

I was lucky Paul...no one was behind me...I had a truck on my right so that was one reason my high beams were not on. So with the darkness and low beams @ that speed...I saw her only when it was too late..couldn't swerve. The best I could do was move a couple of feet in my own lane so it wasn't straight on.
Old 23 October 2010, 12:10 PM   #19
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Glad you are ok Allan. I came within inches of hitting one last year. I saw a doe that was killed on the way to work today.
Old 23 October 2010, 12:21 PM   #20
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
Sorry to hear that Allan--as you said-could have been a lot worse! I live in deer country-North Hills of Pittsburgh--they are everywhere out here in Butler country where we live!!
Thanks for the warning--something we need to pay attention to as you never know when it could be your turn!! Best of luck--fix er up!!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 12:37 PM   #21
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
So did you throw it in the trunk for future grillin'?
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 12:47 PM   #22
skypilot
"TRF" Member

We recently had a local case in which a car hit a deer throwing it into the oncoming lane where it hit a motorcycle killing the rider. I'm doing my part, I have venison in the freezer.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 12:58 PM   #23
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
We recently had a local case in which a car hit a deer throwing it into the oncoming lane where it hit a motorcycle killing the rider. I'm doing my part, I have venison in the freezer.
Glad it wasn't worse, Allan.

This is not encouraging.

Check out Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=deer+...ient=firefox-a

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 01:00 PM   #24
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Sorry this happened to your car. Glad you are unhurt.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 01:04 PM   #25
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Glad You are Ok Allan.I have had my share of these incident's over the yrs as my main profession over the last 20 yrs has been as a Truck Driver.Just be Glad it didn't come through your winshield.
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 01:15 PM   #26
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Not good...but glad you came out unscathed Allan...

We have this issue with Kangaroos here....plenty of times I've had very close shaves .... Headlights and Roos....not a good mix!

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 01:24 PM   #27
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Not good...but glad you came out unscathed Allan...

We have this issue with Kangaroos here....plenty of times I've had very close shaves .... Headlights and Roos....not a good mix!
Were they anything like this one Dalip??
Attached Images
File Type: gif weird_cangaroo_www.free-avatars.com.gif (66.2 KB, 115 views)

Old 23 October 2010, 01:51 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Allan please be more careful.

Animals and roads are not a combination that can give anyone safe comfort.

Take care

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2010, 02:08 PM   #29
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
OH DEERRR!!!! Glad your ok Allan!!! Lucky it didnt hit your windshield...
Old 23 October 2010, 02:11 PM   #30
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

In general, at least with my insurance, if you hit a moving object, animal, rock, etc (vs something stationary in the road) it is covered by comprehensive insurance and not collision. Therefore your rates should not change. I had a $9000+ comprehensive claim a few years ago and I had a windshield claim and a $2000 comprehensive animal claim this year. No rate change, and still get the discounts for being accident free.

十人十色