The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
BMW X5D Need Advice Please

I came to this forum for horology but have learned so much from the excellent membership here. You guys have come through for so many people with a variety of concerns, from dentistry to buying a house.....

Hopefully you guys can come through again. I'm thinking of buying a family hauler and have settled on a nice CPO 2012 X5d with 36k miles, just about loaded as far as I can tell in excellent condition, $44.5k.

I've never owned a diesel or an SUV for that matter and feel really out of my element. Are there any inherent problems with this SUV, recalls or must do things to be aware of. Is this a reliable and durable machine for family traveling. I know maintenance may be high but I plan on getting an extended warranty and maintenance plan. For me there's a difference in "high maintenance" vs unreliable or a car that stays in the shop for repairs.....I don't mind maintenance costs as this comes with the territory but constant repairs is a nogo, can't have wifey stressing on the phone broke down on the side of the road while I'm overseas. You don't worry about reliability with a 4Runner for example(also being considered).

I've always bought performance sedans and have always known about that "it" problem you must fix or worry about, with this truck I basically have found nothing but good-to-great reviews regarding reliability, can this be really true....a german SUV that is as reliable as a grandma's Honda minivan or is there more to the story.

Please help.
Thanks in adavnce.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 03:19 PM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I came to this forum for horology but have learned so much from the excellent membership here. You guys have come through for so many people with a variety of concerns, from dentistry to buying a house.....

Hopefully you guys can come through again. I'm thinking of buying a family hauler and have settled on a nice CPO 2012 X5d with 36k miles, just about loaded as far as I can tell in excellent condition, $44.5k.

I've never owned a diesel or an SUV for that matter and feel really out of my element. Are there any inherent problems with this SUV, recalls or must do things to be aware of. Is this a reliable and durable machine for family traveling. I know maintenance may be high but I plan on getting an extended warranty and maintenance plan. For me there's a difference in "high maintenance" vs unreliable or a car that stays in the shop for repairs.....I don't mind maintenance costs as this comes with the territory but constant repairs is a nogo, can't have wifey stressing on the phone broke down on the side of the road while I'm overseas. You don't worry about reliability with a 4Runner for example(also being considered).

I've always bought performance sedans and have always known about that "it" problem you must fix or worry about, with this truck I basically have found nothing but good-to-great reviews regarding reliability, can this be really true....a german SUV that is as reliable as a grandma's Honda minivan or is there more to the story.

Please help.
Thanks in adavnce.
Rashid I have leased 2 e70 x5s. First was and 07 48i, second was a 11 50i. I cannot comment on the diesel engine specifically, although I've heard good things, so I will comment on the car overall.

It is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever had the pleasure of owning. The car feels big on the inside but is still very maneuverable. The interior is fantastic and boasts all the comforts you have come to expect in a modern bmw. The pan sunroof is just fantastic.

I had some issues with the 2011 but they were engine related. The tt v8 motor from that generation has a bad rep and bmw admitted so by cutting me a 1500 check to lease another bmw.

My fiancé had no issues driving the x5 and we nearly leased another before my nutcase gene kicked in and I reverted to the m3. Truth be told, if it were in the cards I would have both but I'm a firm believer in using my cars to the fullest and am not in a position financially to have 3 cars ( we also have a camry).

I've also come very close to buying a 4Runner. I love everything about those trucks and as I am sure you know, they are bulletproof. If it were me and I was sticking to a 45k budget for purchase, I would probably get a limited 4Runner brand new and call it a day. 4 runners are like rolex, realiable and easy to flip if you change your mind down the road
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 03:33 PM   #3
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
I have a x5 diesel and love it. Comfortable , great low end torque. I average 26.7 mpg (and I drive it not baby the gas petal)
I say go for it, you will be satisfied.
No problems whatsoever.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I was looking into diesel SUVs about a year ago. I looked into the X5D (last generation) and the Touareg TDI. Between the two, the Touareg was my favorite (by a mile). The X5D definitely felt more sporty (the typical BMW feeling, you could say), but the Touareg feels like a tank (and pulls like one, too). It's extremely stable. It is simple, yet luxurious. It doesn't scream luxury car, yet it is. If you care about off road capabilities, the Touareg is the also the clear winner.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 03:50 PM   #5
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Have the dealer print out the service hisotry to see if there were ongoing issues with this particular vehicle.

Aside from that, have confidence that you have the remiander of the manufacturers warranty and then the CPO warranty kicks in
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 09:25 PM   #6
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Do you live in the U.S. Or ....
Old 10 June 2015, 09:33 PM   #7
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
If you are in the market for a SUV and a diesel, why don't you also take a look at Mercedes. If you need space look at the GL, if not take a look at a ML350 blue tech. The mileage is amazing for both and they are quite nice. I know you are a BMW guy and you might be a brand loyalist but just a suggestion. Good luck, it's always fun car shopping.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2015, 09:54 PM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Rashid I have leased 2 e70 x5s.........

My fiancé had no issues driving the x5 and we nearly leased another before my nutcase gene kicked in and I reverted to the m3. Truth be told, if it were in the cards I would have both but I'm a firm believer in using my cars to the fullest and am not in a position financially to have 3 cars ( we also have a camry).

I've also come very close to buying a 4Runner. I love everything about those trucks and as I am sure you know, they are bulletproof. If it were me and I was sticking to a 45k budget for purchase, I would probably get a limited 4Runner brand new and call it a day. 4 runners are like rolex, realiable and easy to flip if you change your mind down the road
Great info. I chuckled at the bolded statement as I have the same gene....Great point regarding the 4Runner, to be honest, it's the one I want but then the "wife's nutcase gene" kicked in and she likes the X5d after getting used to the M3.

The X5 drives so well that it won me over after test driving them back to back, but as a vehicle I'm keeping for the long haul the 4Runner is also like a Rolex in I could pass that thing down to my kids as well. I've treated myself good this year so wifey is slapping down her "my turn" card with vigor and her pimp hand is quite strong(no offense to anyone).

Reading more reviews and researching it seems to come in at about 70% positive with those having a good model being problem free but those that had an issue seem to begin to do math as the issues start adding up.
The one I hear the most is the ERG cooler tank failure/issue(all seemingly fixed under warranty).
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
I have a x5 diesel and love it. Comfortable , great low end torque. I average 26.7 mpg (and I drive it not baby the gas petal)
I say go for it, you will be satisfied.
No problems whatsoever.
This seems to be the most common opinion, good to have another owner insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I was looking into diesel SUVs about a year ago. I looked into the X5D (last generation) and the Touareg TDI. Between the two, the Touareg was my favorite (by a mile). The X5D definitely felt more sporty (the typical BMW feeling, you could say), but the Touareg feels like a tank (and pulls like one, too). It's extremely stable. It is simple, yet luxurious. It doesn't scream luxury car, yet it is. If you care about off road capabilities, the Touareg is the also the clear winner.
The Touareg was my first choice.
Finding a CPO diesel in great condition is like trying to find an albino four leaf clover, a Justin Beiber song I like or an ISIS member that supports air strikes.....
I've looked pretty hard let me tell you, but to find one I need to think national as they are very rare. Buying a sports sedan is pretty enjoyable as I always knew exactly what I wanted and only that model would do, but shopping for a car when there are a couple options on the table is about as enjoyable as helping wifey shop for shoes, I would choose a day of volunteer wilderness firefighting in California over car shopping any day.

It goes to show how popular the VW must be. A new one is comparable to a new BMW in price depending on options and out of my budget. With a short timeline to get the car bought I don't have the time or patience to hunt one down, as the initial search process yielded a bunch of just solds or much older models than I'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Have the dealer print out the service hisotry to see if there were ongoing issues with this particular vehicle.

Aside from that, have confidence that you have the remiander of the manufacturers warranty and then the CPO warranty kicks in
Awesome suggestion, never even though of that. Will definitely request this when I go in today.

I know without knowing all the options it may be hard to gauge but does the price sound reasonable, it has sport package, tech or premium, hud and 19" wheels, and visually looks pristine, previous owner definitely cared for the car. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10 June 2015, 10:32 PM   #9
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Do you live in the U.S. Or ....
Good ole 'Murica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
If you are in the market for a SUV and a diesel, why don't you also take a look at Mercedes. If you need space look at the GL, if not take a look at a ML350 blue tech. The mileage is amazing for both and they are quite nice. I know you are a BMW guy and you might be a brand loyalist but just a suggestion. Good luck, it's always fun car shopping.
By no means a BMW guy at all, haha. The 3 series I have is my first ever Bimmer, I was even scolded the first time I posted in a BMW forum and called it beemer.
I actually think had the new C63s been out at the beginning of the year when I was shopping, I would have likely chose that. The only two real concerns I had were is the exterior design is rather bland or boring and not aggressive enough and the auto transmission, performance cars need manuals or DCTs imo. But otherwise it seems it will likely be the best C AMG MB ever built and give the Ms serious issues in comparos. The M3/4 cars seem to be the better drivers cars as usual with the AMGs being the better in most other categories, HP(510, wow!), interior and of course that V8. Either one would have me as giddy as a teenage girl front row at a boy band concert.

I honestly haven't even looked at the MBs as I was actually deciding between two 2015 models, a Subie Outback and a 4Runner. Wifey liked the Outback and I liked the 4Runner....on the boring test drive of the Outback we just happened to drive by the VW/BMW dealer to check a lead on a possible Touareg and saw the X5d on the lot. Unfortunately I have a tight timeline so I have to get this purchase done by today weds, latest thursday so we can start a road trip out west.
Old 10 June 2015, 11:17 PM   #10
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
2012 X5 is a great suv http://www.carsurvey.org
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 12:40 AM   #11
swils8610

I have a VW Touareg diesel. It's my first diesel. I love it. Fuel economy is great, great torque and it runs quiet and smooth. No regrets here.
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 12:41 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Good for your wife! Any woman without a strong pimp hand isn't worth marrying IMO

My sister just bought a new outback and with the right options, it's quite nice inside. That said, I know.

2012 I believe is the second year after the LCI (refresh) so it should have most bugs worked out
Old 11 June 2015, 01:34 AM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Awesome guys, Thanks a million.
How are these things in the snow and fire breaks, light trail roads. I know it can't compete with a 4Runner, though I would think it should be able to hold it's own in the snow with good tires and also going off pavement to a camp site several miles in.

I found one reviewer who took it out on trails and dirt roads and it did very good, again not x-games stuff just typical back country unpaved roads, I rock climb and this happens often getting to a climb site.
Old 11 June 2015, 06:04 AM   #14
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

When I picked up my BMW at the Performance Center in South Carolina, I got to drive an X5d through the obstacle course and it was awesome. Up and down hills, over rocks (boulders really), through mud, it seemed like a very competent, very comfortable, and quite luxurious machine.

My next ride is going to be a BMW diesel and it will be either the 328xd wagon, the 535d, or the X5d.

Nearly 40 mpg and the BMW ride? That's astounding.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 09:04 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Awesome guys, Thanks a million.
How are these things in the snow and fire breaks, light trail roads. I know it can't compete with a 4Runner, though I would think it should be able to hold it's own in the snow with good tires and also going off pavement to a camp site several miles in.

I found one reviewer who took it out on trails and dirt roads and it did very good, again not x-games stuff just typical back country unpaved roads, I rock climb and this happens often getting to a climb site.
Mine was a straight tank in the snow. Throw some good snow tires on there, as anyone should, and you have an excellent winter ride.

Best I did in terms of off road is some muddy fields. We still have old fashioned tailgating up here for football games. None of that paved parking lot full of cops bullshit I had no issues.
Old 11 June 2015, 10:12 AM   #16
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Mine was a straight tank in the snow. Throw some good snow tires on there, as anyone should, and you have an excellent winter ride.

Best I did in terms of off road is some muddy fields. We still have old fashioned tailgating up here for football games. None of that paved parking lot full of cops bullshit I had no issues.

So Tom, and you all you participants.....I ended up picking up the X5d and am very happy. Although I do feel a slight apprehension about now owning two BMWs and a slight knot in my stomach because I went over budget by $10k once the ink went to paper. Sort of the same feeling of buying that Rolex and seeing the account take that huge hit...ughhhh, but then after a few days go by and you stare at the watch and the dust settles you realise why you spent so much and become content with the expense.
I still would have preferred the 4Runner but my latin mami's pimp hand is "skrong"(not a spelling error) and I did treat myself to a few things this year so had comply to be fair and keep the Mrs happy.

In the end I know I'll enjoy the vehicle very much and tech is pretty cool and already familiar not to mention the 26+ mpg doesn't hurt either for such a big machine. I think with a switch to a smaller wheel and with some good tires it should be good enough to do moderate trails and handle snow if I ever went through any.
Pics will be up soon if anyone's curious.
Thanks guys.
Old 11 June 2015, 10:34 AM   #17
1st amg

Good for you! The mileage you get and the money you will save over the next few years will make the ten thousand over budget feel better! Enjoy!
Old 11 June 2015, 10:42 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So Tom, and you all you participants.....I ended up picking up the X5d and am very happy. Although I do feel a slight apprehension about now owning two BMWs and a slight knot in my stomach because I went over budget by $10k once the ink went to paper. Sort of the same feeling of buying that Rolex and seeing the account take that huge hit...ughhhh, but then after a few days go by and you stare at the watch and the dust settles you realise why you spent so much and become content with the expense.
I still would have preferred the 4Runner but my latin mami's pimp hand is "skrong"(not a spelling error) and I did treat myself to a few things this year so had comply to be fair and keep the Mrs happy.

In the end I know I'll enjoy the vehicle very much and tech is pretty cool and already familiar not to mention the 26+ mpg doesn't hurt either for such a big machine. I think with a switch to a smaller wheel and with some good tires it should be good enough to do moderate trails and handle snow if I ever went through any.
Pics will be up soon if anyone's curious.
Thanks guys.
Excellent rashid! Looking forward to the pics.
Old 12 June 2015, 08:33 AM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I have an X5M, best car ever.
Old 12 June 2015, 09:07 AM   #20
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post

As a member whos purchased several CPO BMW's this is the first and best thing to do.

Ask the dealer to print you out the service history and IF they tell you they cannot its total BS. In my experience with BMW most major problems happen around 50k miles give or take. If you see anything on the print out other than oil changes or cabin filters then be careful.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2015, 01:25 AM   #21
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Congrats on the vehicle. I have an X5d and really enjoy it for daily driving.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2015, 01:51 PM   #22
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

The x5 diesel is a beast. My buddy tows a gigantic boat with his. Very impressive low end torque.
Old 13 June 2015, 02:03 PM   #23
MoreCowdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
Another vehicle you might consider is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L diesel. I have a 2014 with the 3.6L gas engine, but if I were buying another, this would be the one I'd get. Probably right in the $45K or a little higher as a Limited.

So far it appears well-built, the 8-speed transmission is great, and the interior is very well appointed and comfortable. I have towed our 20' travel trailer camper about 10,000 miles with this vehicle so far, almost 28,000 total miles on it without any problems. The only downside to this purchase has been the dealer experience, I would be sure that the closest dealer has a good customer service reputation. The closest one to my home is awful and I have come to disliking something as simple as going in for an oil change there.
MoreCowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 01:48 AM   #24
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowdog View Post
Another vehicle you might consider is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L diesel....
The gas version of this vehicle was a consideration but the 4Runner won out. I have heard nothing but horror stories of the diesel version, so I quickly passed on it.
The diesel is a euro company which I think they used to save money and it isn't that great and priced not to far from a Touareg which was my first choice.
Thanks anyhow, already bought the X5 though.

Now after driving the X5d TX-CA let me tell you this truck is amazing. I've never had a diesel car and this things rumbles and makes all kinds of cool noises and the power is deceptive. You mash the skinny pedal and it launches, a dream on the highway, and goodness gracious, 29 mpg at 75-80mph average and the interior is so comfy. I love my M3 but this thing is incredible, I could see an X5/6M in the future if reliability turns out good. Thanks again for all the help everyone. Have some pics but having a hard time uploading, will be back in a few.
Old 16 June 2015, 04:05 AM   #25
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Let's see if this works...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1108.jpg (93.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1107.jpg (103.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 16 June 2015, 04:07 AM   #26
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Okay couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1105.jpg (99.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1114.jpg (80.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 16 June 2015, 04:12 AM   #27
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

And the Californian coast line...Laguna Beach, just so gorgeous here. You CA folks have it good, 70 degrees and sunny in June....I see the allure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1139.jpg (58.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1156.jpg (45.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 16 June 2015, 10:57 AM   #28
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Nice SUV. Sounds like a good purchase. Enjoy!
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 12:15 PM   #29
1st amg

Awesome truck, you also have the right wheels, it looks much more aggressive and sporty. I wouldn't have bought the diesel without those wheels!
Old 16 June 2015, 12:29 PM   #30
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Nice car my friend

You'll enjoy it !
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote