The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 07:08 AM   #151
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
So this isn’t the first time we have heard of unavailable watches from Rolex since it is a daily report by watch lovers and speculators alike, going to ADs leaving empty handed ....

My story is the one of someone passionate with watches (I even put some together on my own)but ready to simply call it quits with this enormous bs that is the current Rolex market.

So over 1.5 years ago in March, 3 days post Basel I put my name down w 5K cash at my local AD for the elusive blro. I was told like most that it would take a while but was #3 on their list (which was true since I ended up seeing their books later on that year). the first year the store sold at least 2 blro so I was told yup buddy next one is for you even though I was a tad suspicious and this was in Nov of last year ......so like a good puppy I waited until today.

Well, today here I go to check in and to my dismay the Rolex displays are all gone (fancy ones they were) and replaced by a ficus tree and a couch .....my suspicion is they sold out the back door and got caught

I start chatting w the head oncho which confirms that THEY just dropped Rolex since apparently they were too difficult to work with .....doubt it but whatev , gut punched and crotch kicked I asked what now? ....don’t worry a check is written and on its way to you ....k sounds good but this blows.

So here I am like a complete dumb a$$ after 1.5 year and some change waiting (some had been apparently on a list for 3 years for a Daytona and had paid in full) being told that hey sorry bud no soup for you. So I call another local ad the last one around here and they say sure but it will be five years ...fast forward an hour and after discussing w another ad 3 hours away i get to find out that the one that just told me 5 year wait is also losing its status. WTF...

So where I am at now is wanting to say F this hobby I really don’t need this crap in my life . Yeah yeah yeah go grey pay twice as much for something that isn’t a 18k product no thanks . Not a principle issue or a virtue moment simply is I work too hard to throw money out of the window.

So I pick myself up called two ads in my state that require in person deposits but they are three hours away one way. More but punch, but I am sorry i am not driving 3 hours one way to pay full deposit for a watch I might see in three years. It is a watch not a kidney.

So imho this is intended to be a fun hobby with folks that care more about the watch than making a few bucks out of it . The speculators have essentially ruined it for me.
Yeah I can go to other brands I experienced omega iwc ...and I am not interested in them anymore. Yeah I could go truly upmarket with VC but in all honesty what I want to do now is grab my decent collection and sell it all.

Maybe I will feel differently in the morning but when a hobby becomes a hassle to purchase an item for 10 grand where you have to drive 6 hours to possibly see a watch in three years or when you get screwed by your Ad then it is idiotic at best and insulting at worse .

End of rant

If you want it that bad just pay the premium lol. Personally I don’t think it’s a 20k piece. So regardless of my hearts desires, my brain makes the call. I could think of a handful of pieces I would pay 20k plus for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:20 AM   #152
erne75
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Who the hell waits years for something they want and can afford at the moment? It is different if you cant afford it and have a plan to save for it...
I guess I'm lucky that I dont chase the same things that everybody else and their cousins want.
R135
└┼┼┤ Save the manuals!
erne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:36 AM   #153
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

The salesperson at my AD never asked for a deposit. Since she is now retired, the new salesperson who took over doesn’t even acknowledge my emails. So now I’m out of the Rolex game because I refused to buy watches and jewelry that I don’t want to get on her list. I wish Rolex will start selling directly so it’s a fair game for everyone.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 02:55 PM   #154
VEK
"TRF" Member

Watch: only Rolex
Try another AD, miracle would happen :-)
VEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:51 PM   #155
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Get the 116520.....easy answer
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 03:56 PM   #156
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear. It's become a fu*ked up situation with the ADs. And through in closures and it's even more messed up. Hang in there. Your time will come inevitably when you least expect it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 04:21 PM   #157
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Congrats on the BLRO
Old 9 August 2020, 05:09 PM   #158
Brady2117
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy Submariner
Wow...that can definitely make you feel the frustration. I think timing and relationship building is the only thing that will help you find your first perfect Rolex. That is until you get your 2nd..3rd LOL
When I decided i wanted to purchase my first Rolex I called 30+:ADs and found one in Minneapolis willing to sell me their only sub..it was a Bluesy. I was looking for SS sub w/ date and decided to step up and just buy it. It was to beautiful to pass up. A gray market dealer HOOKED me up with my 2019 126300 DJ41 and 11 months after buying my 1st (Bluesy) the Rolex boutique called me to see if I was interested in a blk SS sub w/ date to make up for miscommunication on their end. So for me 3 in 11 months was all about timing and persistence. Hang in there..I'm sure your read some stories of encouragement or similar frustration.
Brady2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:04 PM   #159
topgear
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN, PAM390
I can relate to all the "no-stock/ reserved for VIP customers etc" excuses (BS).

Whilst I have accepted the situation as-is. It is my money and it is 'just' a watch, I am of the view that the deliberate little to no-stock is ridiculous. In the same vein, it is their business.
topgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:24 AM   #160
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

When I find myself frustrated at the state of the market, I take a 30x loupe to my Rolexes and convince myself that they are not worth the prices they're commanding. But after a few days on the wrist, I fall back in love.
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:06 AM   #161
djyolky
Banned

All that moaning and bitching and the OP finally gets his watch, his story... A good friend helped him. Cool story bro.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:47 AM   #162
nuwildcat928
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Those warlords have the coolest watches.
This made me lol. Thanks.
nuwildcat928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:03 AM   #163
nuwildcat928
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraKaLaCKiN View Post
You could always argue breach of contract and file a lawsuit. Ask for the equivalent of the cost of the BLRO that was promised. This lawsuit would also allow you access to the shipments from Rolex. You;ll see just how many times you were passed over. I'd file just to gain access to those records! You could actually research and file your own lawsuit and then ask for these records in discovery. It's not that difficult.
This is what’s wrong with our country. I think I’ll file a lawsuit on the grounds that I’ve been annoyed by this post.
nuwildcat928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:25 AM   #164
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

You can give up, go grey, or pick a reputable AD and make some significant purchases, that will realistically put you ahead of others. And be prepared to possibly never receive those unicorns. Like it or not, these are your options

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:30 AM   #165
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwildcat928 View Post
This is what’s wrong with our country. I think I’ll file a lawsuit on the grounds that I’ve been annoyed by this post.

LOL.

Old 10 August 2020, 02:34 AM   #166
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraKaLaCKiN View Post
You could always argue breach of contract and file a lawsuit. Ask for the equivalent of the cost of the BLRO that was promised. This lawsuit would also allow you access to the shipments from Rolex. You;ll see just how many times you were passed over. I'd file just to gain access to those records! You could actually research and file your own lawsuit and then ask for these records in discovery. It's not that difficult.

Most certainly! Just make sure you present your certified contract stating you are third on the list, and the dealer is committed to delivering in no more than 18 months. Make sure that it’s signed by the store manager and notarized by a third party. If you have all that, no problem winning the lawsuit!

Old 10 August 2020, 02:47 AM   #167
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Guys, AD’s are not dropping Rolex. It is the other way around, Rolex is dropping AD’s.

Rolex requires the AD to have a dedicated boutique special area for their watches, no sharing space with other watches. Rolex does not pay for this renovation. Some AD’s refuse, away goes their Rolex franchise.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:01 AM   #168
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Guys, AD’s are not dropping Rolex. It is the other way around, Rolex is dropping AD’s.

Rolex requires the AD to have a dedicated boutique special area for their watches, no sharing space with other watches. Rolex does not pay for this renovation. Some AD’s refuse, away goes their Rolex franchise.
Great point. No AD would ever drop Rolex. A jewelry store with Rolex always has traffic and sales.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:51 AM   #169
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
All that moaning and bitching and the OP finally gets his watch, his story... A good friend helped him. Cool story bro.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yup pretty much the end of it . If he hadn’t come through then zero blro there would be. I was essentially at a place where it either happened or not but was fundamentally ok either way.
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:53 AM   #170
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Great point. No AD would ever drop Rolex. A jewelry store with Rolex always has traffic and sales.

That specific AD was caught by Cartier selling jewelry that were NOT Cartier as Cartier . They got sued and lost and the loss of Rolex status I am sure was tied to it

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/majo...an-cleef-fakes
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 09:33 AM   #171
Mike Barnard
Banned

I doubt the AD dropped Rolex. More than likely the other way around.
Mike Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:14 PM   #172
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Just be happy you got back your $5K. As for getting the shaft by the AD, again ... be happy you got back your $5K. You'll find the watch you want somewhere. Remember, all good things come to those who wait and who don't put down significant deposits to get on a waiting list.
Old 10 August 2020, 12:24 PM   #173
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
no need to waste time with AD, overall it’s cheaper to buy from grey dealer

jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:17 PM   #174
frtorres87
"TRF" Member

After all that waiting I’d probably just go gray myself.

frtorres87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:22 PM   #175
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

This is a horrible situation. I am very sorry. So much about how this AD behaved is just wrong, starting with requiring a deposit on a watch the didn't have in stock/ordered and couldn't commit to selling on a clear, reasonable timeline.
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:26 PM   #176
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
There is a whole world of interesting watches out there other than current Rolex sports models and it is just as satisfying, at least to me, to collect them.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:07 PM   #177
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiretail View Post
I don't blame you for being a little hot right now.

If I ever start to get this way about a watch I tell myself

"I am so lucky to be able to get worked up about it"
Wise words! I am lucky in that the only deposit I ever had to pay was when I got the call and then balance on pick up. Personally I wouldn’t pay upfront or maybe a 10% tops just to show faith. Mine took 21 months and some spend but all on watches I wanted. When I thought it was never going to happen I checked out some v clean 16710s and was about to pull trigger then mine happened. IMHO a good 16710 from a grey at about 12-13k could be a good investment for the future and you get a cracking watch straight away? Feel your pain ....how frustrating.
Old 10 August 2020, 06:34 PM   #178
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barnard View Post
Agreed
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:20 PM   #179
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barnard View Post
Agree. Youse don't own Rolex, Rolex owns youse
Old 11 August 2020, 01:39 PM   #180
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats! Glad the watch came through.