The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Announcements/feedback & support

Old 27 August 2007, 06:20 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

Icon4 Currently Active Users

You may be aware that at the bottom of the home page there is a table that states "Currently Active Users".
This is not (and never has been) a record of who is presently (in real time) at their computer and presently viewing this site.
Currently Active Users gives an indication of who is and/or has been logged onto the forum in the preceding 2.2 hours. Accordingly, it indicates who has recently (within the last 2.2 hours) been active or logged onto the forum.
I apologise if there has been any misunderstanding as to the meaning of the term 'Currently Active Users'.
The number of stated users includes both members and guests (visitors).
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

There has been a bit of fine tuning to 'currently active users'.
As stated previously, this can never been a device to show who is currently online 'now' in real time.
There is one setting in the system, this setting is the time that cookies are refreshed. If it is set for 5 minutes, then if you are writing a long post (ie including photographs etc.) and it takes more than 5 minutes you will be logged off from the forum. This has the problem that can be very frustrating. So 5 minutes is not nearly enough.

Also there are times when you are reading a long thread. Sometimes you may be doing other things and it can easily take more than 5 minutes to read the thread, again you would be logged out of the web-site.

If the cookies are set to be refreshed for 1, 2 or more hours then you may close your browser and still be logged onto the web-site. Again problems can occur when some members like to log off by closing their browser and not 'logging off' from the forum.

So I have found that a happy medium is 30 minutes. Thus, you can take up to 30 minutes to put together a detailed thread, or read a detailed thread without being logged out. At the same time, if you log off, it will show you as a 'currently active member' this will remain for 30 minutes after you have logged off.

There is no other way the software can be tuned to show who is online in real time, and show that member to be logged off immediately once they log off without causing other problems, so it is a software issue, but at the 30 minute setting it is hopefully a happy medium for everyone.
Old 18 September 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
steve-o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue TT Sub
Steve,

I'm a super moderator on another forum that uses the exact forum set up...perhaps same provider. The panel you describe can provide lots of info.

I'm referring to www.airwarriors.com so if you ever need really good...experienced mod help, let me know.

r/
Steve-O

Last edited by steve-o; 18 September 2007 at 10:22 PM..
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2007, 12:55 PM   #4
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
Is there an issue on displaying current activer users? I guess I'm trying to understand why does it matter if you see someone on-line or not and if they have been on for 2 hrs or 2 mins.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
Is there an issue on displaying current activer users? I guess I'm trying to understand why does it matter if you see someone on-line or not and if they have been on for 2 hrs or 2 mins.
One of the best features of this is to know if someone is online that you want to PM or email. Just an easy way to catch up with friends.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still trying to figure out how this site works. Where do I go to find out if someone responded to one of my posts? Thanks.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2007, 02:50 PM   #7
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Boopie, just click on your own name next to one of you posts, and then select "Find more posts by Boopie", then you'll go to all the topics you've replied on and then you can see if there's a new post (if the envelop is open) or not (when the envelop is closed)... Pretty easy stuff!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks ABS Another way is to go into your 'usercp' which is on the left of the menu bar at the top of the forum page. Then go into subscriptions and activate automatic subcription to each thread where you have posted.