The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 September 2007, 06:50 AM   #1
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Word censor?

I believe vBulletin has a word censor built in... why isn't it activated? A troll just barged in a cussed up a storm in one of the threads. None of his "choice words" were blocked.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 06:51 AM   #2
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
I believe vBulletin has a word censor built in... why isn't it activated? A troll just barged in a cussed up a storm in one of the threads. None of his "choice words" were blocked.
Because mods would be tempted to use it for the word 'JJ'
timebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 06:56 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I don't know the answer to your qustion, Jeff. We'll have to wait for Steve to get back on. He's the only one with the keys to that closet.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Word censor?!? Really???
Old 26 September 2007, 07:07 AM   #5
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I don't know the answer to your qustion, Jeff. We'll have to wait for Steve to get back on. He's the only one with the keys to that closet.
Closet you say. We got someone coming out of the closet???
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvEr34 View Post
Closet you say. We got someone coming out of the closet???
Yeah, but we can't tell you who it is...
Old 26 September 2007, 07:11 AM   #7
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Yeah, but we can't tell you who it is...
I think I already know.!!!

Old 26 September 2007, 07:46 AM   #8
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvEr34 View Post
I think I already know.!!!

He's not a mod
Old 26 September 2007, 08:25 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I would need to use that function all the time with some of these tossers!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 09:07 AM   #10
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanitis View Post
What is this? Kindergarden? Who cares what somebody types... read over it if you don't like it.
I can see why racial and discriminating words are a problem, but some "choice words"? Come on!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 09:21 AM   #11
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsecret View Post
What is this? Kindergarden? Who cares what somebody types... read over it if you don't like it.
I can see why racial and discriminating words are a problem, but some "choice words"? Come on!
I've been out off kindergarden for about 35 yrs +. So I would have to say that it's not. As for the "choice words" you describe are still offensive to many people. I am personally not to offended by them but I'm sure many are. This is also a "family" forum ie. its not R rated and thus we need to respect that also.

My 2c
Old 26 September 2007, 09:35 AM   #12
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
I prefer not to see "choice words". Gentlemen and ladies can find an assortment of other words to express their ideas. There are actually many words out there not used.
Old 26 September 2007, 11:31 AM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

There are trigger words that are censored for the initial posts of a new member.

After a specified number of posts, a member is trusted to post responsibly. This not only applies to profanity in words, but also photographs and links to undesirable websites/pages.

If a member does not act responsibly, then he/she will be liable to sanction and ultimately exclusion from the forum.

I could ban altogether the use of certain words, but the question is where does one stop. If a word is censored for all members then a member will maybe not use that word, but use other inventive ways to use that word i.e. a photo or image with the profanity.

Just as there is no point in banning certain words, there is no way one can (after a qualifying period) ban the posting of photographs.

It would be impossible for all posts to be vetted by the moderators. Delinquent members will be dealt with swiftly and firmly. There has to be a balance of censorship and responsibility given to members, so that the forum can function with efficacy and provide a medium for the free expression of material.

I think that experience has shown that occasions are infrequent when offensive profanity is used. Say you use a software censor on the 'f' word. Then this will quickly be recognised and a person will use a different word, or set of words to describe the same idea. Before you know it, there becomes problems where legitimate statements are being censored because of catchwords. e.g. screw. Screw is a legitimate word and an item that is used in all bracelets. It would be logistical nightmare if every post that had the word 'screw' in it had to be approved by a moderator.

I hope you understand, this is a free forum, the moderators give up their valuable time for free and out of the goodness of their hearts. I don't want a commercial site with adverts in every post, so that money can be raised to pay moderators to sit around all day and vet posts.

In conclusion I really don't think there is any problem to worry about, and the moderators do an outstanding job
End of rant, now flame me down

Last edited by Lol-x; 26 September 2007 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: new smilies
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2007, 02:20 PM   #14
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
There are trigger words that are censored for the initial posts of a new member.

After a specified number of posts, a member is trusted to post responsibly. This not only applies to profanity in words, but also photographs and links to undesirable websites/pages.

If a member does not act responsibly, then he/she will be liable to sanction and ultimately exclusion from the forum.

I could ban altogether the use of certain words, but the question is where does one stop. If a word is censored for all members then a member will maybe not use that word, but use other inventive ways to use that word i.e. a photo or image with the profanity.

Just as there is no point in banning certain words, there is no way one can (after a qualifying period) ban the posting of photographs.

It would be impossible for all posts to be vetted by the moderators. Delinquent members will be dealt with swiftly and firmly. There has to be a balance of censorship and responsibility given to members, so that the forum can function with efficacy and provide a medium for the free expression of material.

I think that experience has shown that occasions are infrequent when offensive profanity is used. Say you use a software censor on the 'f' word. Then this will quickly be recognised and a person will use a different word, or set of words to describe the same idea. Before you know it, there becomes problems where legitimate statements are being censored because of catchwords. e.g. screw. Screw is a legitimate word and an item that is used in all bracelets. It would be logistical nightmare if every post that had the word 'screw' in it had to be approved by a moderator.

I hope you understand, this is a free forum, the moderators give up their valuable time for free and out of the goodness of their hearts. I don't want a commercial site with adverts in every post, so that money can be raised to pay moderators to sit around all day and vet posts.

In conclusion I really don't think there is any problem to worry about, and the moderators do an outstanding job
End of rant, now flame me down
Alan I need a flame emo help!

All kidding aside, exactly right X, people who use profanity are a definite minority on here and just look at the spam messages you get by mail.
They just change the words or some other method of getting it through the filter and they're back.

Instead can't you get a filter up for people from new zealand, older than 60 years, more than 30 000 posts and bald?
That would help me out a lot!
Old 27 September 2007, 01:12 AM   #15
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Thanks for the response, Steve.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote