The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 05:21 AM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The Perfect One Watch (for me)

I got my Daytona about 3 1/2 years ago. It's hard to believe it's been that long. It started with falling for the white SS 116500, and then tiring of the wait. I was fortunate to be in a position to spring for the platinum version, and to do it back when slightly used ones were a lot cheaper. I started out wearing it most days, but "forcing" myself to put on my old favorite -- my TT Datejust that I wore pretty much everywhere from 1984/5 (not sure when I got it) until buying the Daytona. After a while, I gave up putting on the DJ.

It goes everywhere, isn't too flashy, few outside of AD salespeople know what it is, and is super comfortable. Once you get past the idea that it IS going to pick up hairline scratches, there's no downside to enjoying it. I changed the time to EST in early January, and haven't wound it or set it since. We were scheduled to come back to CST around the time of daylight savings, so I didn't bother changing for that. Covid delayed our plans, but bottom line is that the watch hasn't been wound or reset in over seven months. To paraphrase Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, it's "dead on balls accurate." Down to the second. I know some folks don't care, but I find that a mechanical watch that can be accurate down to the second is kind of amazing. And yes, I do know that there are 9 billion, 700 million seconds in a seven month period, and that my life wouldn't materially change if my watch was off by a minute or two!

I love wearing it with nice clothes, I love wearing it walking the beach, and everything in between. I put it on when I wake up in the morning, and usually only take it off for the three S's -- sports, showers and sex.

So far, so good. And it isn't SO expensive if it makes you happy enough to stop buying a bunch of other watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0829.jpeg (106.2 KB, 1431 views)
Old 9 August 2020, 05:30 AM   #2
EconTigerOrange
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 MKI
Fantastic shot with a beautiful watch! I don’t think it’s flashy at all, but is definitely not the average watch. Glad you are able to enjoy it as your one and only! Not sure if I could given the cost. Then again, the cost is why I don’t own one!
EconTigerOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 05:37 AM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Beautiful pics.

It should withstand the 3 S’s, depending on how extreme any of them are :)

Just kidding. Enjoy!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:04 AM   #4
sportsmaven20
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The Platona is my grail and realistically it will never see my wrist, but that’s ok...I am so blessed!

Beautiful watch you have...continue wearing it in good health!
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:11 AM   #5
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Right nice watch and the sunset isn't bad either.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:12 AM   #6
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

"B-But it doesn't even have a date !!! There's no way it's fit to be an only watch !!!!!"
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:20 AM   #7
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Such a good feeling to find the one you love. Is that a sunrise over Lake Michigan pic? My wife and I walk along the lakeshore every weekend we're out there visiting her family.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:30 AM   #8
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

There aren't many PERFECT watches in my opinion but that watch is SURELY one of them!!! It checks all my boxes too and does fly under the radar for what it truly is. It would be on my wrist too if I could afford it! Keep posting pictures so I can enjoy yours too. haha!!!
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconTigerOrange View Post
Fantastic shot with a beautiful watch! I don’t think it’s flashy at all, but is definitely not the average watch. Glad you are able to enjoy it as your one and only! Not sure if I could given the cost. Then again, the cost is why I don’t own one!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Beautiful pics.

It should withstand the 3 S’s, depending on how extreme any of them are :)

Just kidding. Enjoy!
My wife, for some reason, wants to be the undisputed center of attention at those times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsmaven20 View Post
The Platona is my grail and realistically it will never see my wrist, but that’s ok...I am so blessed!

Beautiful watch you have...continue wearing it in good health!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173rdabn View Post
Right nice watch and the sunset isn't bad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montremoi View Post
"B-But it doesn't even have a date !!! There's no way it's fit to be an only watch !!!!!"
Somehow I manage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Such a good feeling to find the one you love. Is that a sunrise over Lake Michigan pic? My wife and I walk along the lakeshore every weekend we're out there visiting her family.
This was down in Naples, FL.
Old 9 August 2020, 06:42 AM   #10
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Cool looking watch and great photo
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #11
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Yes,well,thats as perfect as can be .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 06:49 AM   #12
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
So so great in my book! Sweet shot and looks like plenty of good memories all along!!!
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 07:27 AM   #13
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I got my Daytona about 3 1/2 years ago. It's hard to believe it's been that long. It started with falling for the white SS 116500, and then tiring of the wait. I was fortunate to be in a position to spring for the platinum version, and to do it back when slightly used ones were a lot cheaper. I started out wearing it most days, but "forcing" myself to put on my old favorite -- my TT Datejust that I wore pretty much everywhere from 1984/5 (not sure when I got it) until buying the Daytona. After a while, I gave up putting on the DJ.

It goes everywhere, isn't too flashy, few outside of AD salespeople know what it is, and is super comfortable. Once you get past the idea that it IS going to pick up hairline scratches, there's no downside to enjoying it. I changed the time to EST in early January, and haven't wound it or set it since. We were scheduled to come back to CST around the time of daylight savings, so I didn't bother changing for that. Covid delayed our plans, but bottom line is that the watch hasn't been wound or reset in over seven months. To paraphrase Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny, it's "dead on balls accurate." Down to the second. I know some folks don't care, but I find that a mechanical watch that can be accurate down to the second is kind of amazing. And yes, I do know that there are 9 billion, 700 million seconds in a seven month period, and that my life wouldn't materially change if my watch was off by a minute or two!

I love wearing it with nice clothes, I love wearing it walking the beach, and everything in between. I put it on when I wake up in the morning, and usually only take it off for the three S's -- sports, showers and sex.

So far, so good. And it isn't SO expensive if it makes you happy enough to stop buying a bunch of other watches.
Great story! Unfortunately for me, this watch is worth more than my entire collection. I hope someday to be in your shoes. Enjoy that beautiful watch and be well.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 08:16 AM   #14
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
There aren't many PERFECT watches in my opinion but that watch is SURELY one of them!!! It checks all my boxes too and does fly under the radar for what it truly is. It would be on my wrist too if I could afford it! Keep posting pictures so I can enjoy yours too. haha!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Cool looking watch and great photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Yes,well,thats as perfect as can be .
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro View Post
So so great in my book! Sweet shot and looks like plenty of good memories all along!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Great story! Unfortunately for me, this watch is worth more than my entire collection. I hope someday to be in your shoes. Enjoy that beautiful watch and be well.
Thank you, all! Here's one I took in Lucerne.:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1230.jpeg (136.7 KB, 1115 views)
Old 9 August 2020, 08:17 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Heck yeah

What a relationship with a watch should be like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:21 AM   #16
BOXMAN76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 Daytona
Amen Brother!
The only other watch I have other than a Casio is this!
I feel ya!!! Shake - N - Bake!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 16FB6A15-CB79-4A8E-B64A-452B23192AF6.jpeg (142.1 KB, 1062 views)
BOXMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:35 AM   #17
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Nice!
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:38 AM   #18
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

So it’s essentially +/- 0 over seven months?

That’s bonkers!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 09:54 AM   #19
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

sweet
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:01 AM   #20
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Great post! And great photos. Excellent point about it not being so expensive if it stops the shopping around.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 10:12 AM   #21
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Awesome watch! It is so great when you find the special piece that ticks all the boxes. Enjoy that beauty!
Old 9 August 2020, 10:19 AM   #22
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Both are great pictures- thanks for sharing them and the story!

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:00 AM   #23
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Geez thats a beautiful watch, congrats!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:14 AM   #24
campfire
"TRF" Member

So nice.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:31 PM   #25
HaiovR
"TRF" Member

Very cool)
HaiovR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 12:52 PM   #26
Gdaso
"TRF" Member

What a beautiful watch!
Enjoy wearing it in good health
Gdaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:30 PM   #27
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Heck yeah

What a relationship with a watch should be like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXMAN76 View Post
Amen Brother!
The only other watch I have other than a Casio is this!
I feel ya!!! Shake - N - Bake!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
So it’s essentially +/- 0 over seven months?

That’s bonkers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
sweet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Eyes View Post
Great post! And great photos. Excellent point about it not being so expensive if it stops the shopping around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Awesome watch! It is so great when you find the special piece that ticks all the boxes. Enjoy that beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
Both are great pictures- thanks for sharing them and the story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
Geez thats a beautiful watch, congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
So nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaiovR View Post
Very cool)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdaso View Post
What a beautiful watch!
Enjoy wearing it in good health
Thank you all for the nice comments.
Old 9 August 2020, 01:37 PM   #28
hornetrb
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You take off your watch for sex? Weird...
hornetrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:42 PM   #29
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
The Perfect One Watch (for me)

Quote:

Awesome pick for a 1 watch rotation, congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:48 AM   #30
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetrb View Post
You take off your watch for sex? Weird...
No big deal. It's only off for a minute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Awesome pick for a 1 watch rotation, congrats!!!
Thanks. It's been a perfect fit for me.