The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2020, 03:39 AM   #1
emtee
"TRF" Member

Tudor movements made by a company called Kenissi?

So my significant other is doing a paper and decided to do it on the watch industry (my influence 😂). Anyway during her research she was like ‘I thought you said Tudor made their own movements in house as well as using ETA?’ I was like ‘Yeah I think so...’”

Then she said “Well who are Kenissi and why does it say they make Tudors’s movements and that it’s a joint venture with Rolex and why does Chanel have a stake?”

So I said “Well look no offence but I spend more time on TRF than most would consider healthy and I’m sure I would have read something about it if it were true”

So anyway here’s a couple of links. Did I miss a discussion? I would have thought this would be a topic of interest....

Keen to know more about this set up

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/norqain...-tudor-chanel/

https://www.revolution.watch/hk/chan...h-manufacture/
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:11 AM   #2
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

It’s true. The “in house” claim was always a bit of a red herring to me to be honest. Especially since Breitling uses the same movements.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Kenissi

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/01/cha...dor-rolex.html
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:16 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You are reading it wrong.

Tudor, with investors, has started up an international company to produce movements, and to provide movements, to those watch manufacturers that will fall into Swatch/ETA companies decision to stop providing movements to non-Swatch companies.

Tudor's new company is named Kenissi, and has invited investors, like Chanel, who have bought into it to ensure that they, too, will have movements available into the future.

Tudor will be moving out of the Rolex building and will construct their own watch making facilities, jointly, with their new movement making company, all on Rolex property.

So, like Rolex used their in-house movement maker Aegler to provide movements, Tudor will use their in-house movement maker Kenissi, to provide movements going into the future.

Since Tudor is Rolex, you can be sure that there will be a huge Rolex engineering influence in Kenissi movements.
Old 10 August 2020, 05:13 AM   #4
emtee
"TRF" Member

Thank you, very informative. Why has there not been more discussion on this subject? I find it very interesting. Obviously not as interesting as “is this Rolex investment worthy” but interesting none the less.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:34 AM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
It’s true. The “in house” claim was always a bit of a red herring to me to be honest. Especially since Breitling uses the same movements.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Kenissi

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/01/cha...dor-rolex.html
That herring ain't red anymore, thanks to Tools's perfect explanation above. Pretty sure Tudor & Breitling collaborated on the chrono movement. These kind of cross branding collaborations are [were] not unique.
d
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:44 AM   #6
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

Excellent question, and a terrific answer from Tools. I love this site.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:59 AM   #7
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Thank you, very informative. Why has there not been more discussion on this subject? I find it very interesting. Obviously not as interesting as “is this Rolex investment worthy” but interesting none the less.
Meh, I’d rather read pictureless “incoming” posts or “what can I do against this very minimal hairline scratch on the contact part of my watch”.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:04 AM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i guess the rolex daytona with zenith are red herrings too.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #9
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Tudor, with investors, has started up an international company to produce movements, and to provide movements, to those watch manufacturers that will fall into Swatch/ETA companies decision to stop providing movements to non-Swatch companies.

Tudor's new company is named Kenissi, and has invited investors, like Chanel, who have bought into it to ensure that they, too, will have movements available into the future.

Tudor will be moving out of the Rolex building and will construct their own watch making facilities, jointly, with their new movement making company, all on Rolex property.

So, like Rolex used their in-house movement maker Aegler to provide movements, Tudor will use their in-house movement maker Kenissi, to provide movements going into the future.

Since Tudor is Rolex, you can be sure that there will be a huge Rolex engineering influence in Kenissi movements.

Looks like you just helped the significant other write the paper haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:29 AM   #10
Aish
"TRF" Member

Watch: me at the top!
https://youtu.be/SkrZBuhLKU8

This should help, Federico explains what they are doing. Was news to me as well.
Aish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:32 AM   #11
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

But is a Tudor inhouse a good investment?!

(Joke, Great question and informative answers!)

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 10 August 2020, 09:08 AM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

I wonder how that will work with the Rolex non-profit umbrella; seems like it will no longer be under the umbrella.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 09:16 AM   #13
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:

Thanks for clarifying it for the OP with facts.

Unfortunately, I am sure the Tudor haters will still have something nasty to say about the brand regardless or post misdirecting fallacy.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 09:53 AM   #14
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All the above is true except the last statement! Tudor is NOT Rolex. That’s a fact

watchdisplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 10:19 AM   #15
Mike Barnard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdisplay View Post
All the above is true except the last statement! Tudor is NOT Rolex. That’s a fact

That's right, but it makes some people feel better.

Cheaper form of kudos.
Mike Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 10:52 AM   #16
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
It is true that a Tudor watch is not a Rolex watch, but Tudor is Rolex in the sense that Rolex owns Tudor and their operations are intertwined.

As Tools noted, the new movement facility will be on Rolex property.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 11:14 AM   #17
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Thanks for clarifying it for the OP with facts.

Unfortunately, I am sure the Tudor haters will still have something nasty to say about the brand regardless or post misdirecting fallacy.
Yes, the snowflake hands are ugly otherwise I'd probably own one.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:05 PM   #18
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Interesting post
Old 10 August 2020, 01:37 PM   #19
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Yes, the snowflake hands are ugly otherwise I'd probably own one.
It took a long time for me to warm up to the snowflake hands, but learning a bit about their history did help a little bit.

Mostly, though, it was just a matter of time.

When the BB36 came out, the look came together for me.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:40 PM   #20
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:

great info!
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:41 PM   #21
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:

LOL wrong.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:40 PM   #22
snyde
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Huh

snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:57 PM   #23
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
But is a Tudor inhouse a good investment?!

(Joke, Great question and informative answers!)

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Based on the BBGMT date wheel issue, they're off to a bad start.

Assuming that Kenissi is doing this GMT movement, could we possibly see GMT models for other member brands in the future?
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:31 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
So my significant other is doing a paper and decided to do it on the watch industry (my influence ��). Anyway during her research she was like ‘I thought you said Tudor made their own movements in house as well as using ETA?’ I was like ‘Yeah I think so...’”

Then she said “Well who are Kenissi and why does it say they make Tudors’s movements and that it’s a joint venture with Rolex and why does Chanel have a stake?”

So I said “Well look no offence but I spend more time on TRF than most would consider healthy and I’m sure I would have read something about it if it were true”

So anyway here’s a couple of links. Did I miss a discussion? I would have thought this would be a topic of interest....

Keen to know more about this set up

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/norqain...-tudor-chanel/

https://www.revolution.watch/hk/chan...h-manufacture/
Well in the real world it was not till around 2004 that Rolex bought out there movement manufacturer Aegler as then it was totally owned by the Borer/Aegler family.Although factory now owned by Rolex the movement side manufacturer is still managed by members of the Borer/Aegler family.And this term in-house made in the real world dont mean a lot,as over the years from some manufactures so called in-house movements were quite mediocre to many others, and in-house dont always mean its better,and firms like Seiko and ETA make everything in-house.But even today Rolex dont make everything in-house quite a few things are still out sourced by Rolex, like mainsprings, they are made by Schwab-Feller AG,movement bearing and cap jewels,watch crystals,spring-bars,and a firm called Aiguilles makes all the watch hands for all models.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:47 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
'So I said “Well look no offence but..."'

How did that work out?
Old 10 August 2020, 06:54 PM   #26
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Great answer from Tools all makes perfect sense
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:09 PM   #27
TudorTommy
"TRF" Member

Excellent question and great answer- Thank you emtee and Tools!
TudorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:09 PM   #28
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Kenissi. Sounds like a little girl's toy hairdressing salon.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 09:19 PM   #29
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Refreshing to read an interesting and informative thread as opposed to "what watch do I wear with my jeans at a beach party".

Thanks for the info all.

Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 10:16 PM   #30
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great thread and interesting information.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote