The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 August 2020, 11:49 AM   #1
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub since 1984
Needing advice on how to fix my Rolex

I have had a 16800 black submariner on my wrist since dec of 1984! Bought it new. Never owned another watch since then. I have had it serviced 4 times and replaced the stretched out band once and 2 complete bezels fm rolex. I just lost my 3rd one overboard thanks to my cast net ( again).
I am done. The watch runs well and loses about 2 minutes every 5 days so I figured I would have it cleaned, polished and oiled along with an authenotc bezel install and then sell it.
Would I be best off sending it to rolex for the works or is there a more economical company anyone can recommend? I am not opposed to putting on a used bezel assembly as my watch is worn and has battle scars.
thanks for any help. chris
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:07 PM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

RSC service should help you sell it more easily and/or at a higher price.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:10 PM   #3
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

With the Rolex service it will have a two-year warranty. That would be an advantage to some buyers.

I wouldn't replace the dial and hands if they are still the originals.

Good luck.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:14 PM   #4
lsupcar
"TRF" Member

What watch are you going to replace it with?
lsupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:18 PM   #5
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Why not keep it, without the bezel?
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:48 PM   #6
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Post photos- we'll let you know what to do. No shortage of opinions on this forum!

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris

My two cents worth is get it repaired/serviced and keep it. Buy a Seiko diver, and wear the sub as well, just not when using the cast net!

That watch has been with you through so much, it's like part of the family. I suspect you will regret selling it afterwards.

I'd love to see a pic as well.
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:24 PM   #8
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiexplorer View Post
I suspect you will regret selling it afterwards.
THIS. How can one just sell a watch they've owned and worn for 36 years of their life? Don't get it.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:31 PM   #9
pav1987
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
THIS. How can one just sell a watch they've owned and worn for 36 years of their life? Don't get it.
Totally Agree! At the end of the day it’s yours to do with as you please but I would pass that watch down to a loved one.
pav1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:18 PM   #10
ToyotaMoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40,DJ41,OP41,Sub
Why not just add another watch and keep that one?
You will regret the day you sell that watch.
ToyotaMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:22 PM   #11
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Why do you want to sell it?
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:45 PM   #12
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesoro View Post
I have had a 16800 black submariner on my wrist since dec of 1984! Bought it new. Never owned another watch since then. I have had it serviced 4 times and replaced the stretched out band once and 2 complete bezels fm rolex. I just lost my 3rd one overboard thanks to my cast net ( again).
I am done. The watch runs well and loses about 2 minutes every 5 days so I figured I would have it cleaned, polished and oiled along with an authenotc bezel install and then sell it.
Would I be best off sending it to rolex for the works or is there a more economical company anyone can recommend? I am not opposed to putting on a used bezel assembly as my watch is worn and has battle scars.
thanks for any help. chris
How does your cast net strip the whole bezel right off a Submariner while its on your wrist? IF there is no way to stop losing bezels, then here are the choices I would consider:

1. Keep the Rolex to wear when you aren't fishing, and by a smooth fixed-bezel Rolex that won't be an issue, like Explorer, Explorer II (5 digit, if you want the same size), Milgauss, Air King, or Oyster Perpetual.

2. If you can't afford option 1, then just get a beater to wear fishing.

3. If you can't afford option 1, and you are ready to marry a different watch, then sell your Sub and by a different Rolex.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:52 PM   #13
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
The watch has paid for itself many times over, so why not get it serviced, keep it and treat yourself to another watch?

You have so many memories tied up in that watch it would be a shame to let it go.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 04:55 PM   #14
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
Just a watch, some people don't form an emotional attachement or have sentimental value with them, such as myself.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:41 PM   #15
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I doubt if you can recover the added service costs, would try to sell without myself.

If you do want to service use an official RSC.
I don’t buy any watches serviced by 3rd party watchmakers. Surely there are more potential customers thinking the same
Old 10 August 2020, 08:20 PM   #16
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I doubt if you can recover the added service costs, would try to sell without myself.

If you do want to service use an official RSC.
I don’t buy any watches serviced by 3rd party watchmakers. Surely there are more potential customers thinking the same
Doubtful, been selling watches for years and never came across this thought process.
Not to mention the majority of forum users would recommend a handful of 3rd party watchmakers to service a vintage piece before RSC
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 11:07 PM   #17
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Keep it. Just buy a Seiko SKX007 for the heavy work. A few hundred bucks. You're allowed to have more than one watch.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 11:27 PM   #18
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
I don’t buy any watches serviced by 3rd party watchmakers.
While that may be a viable option for fairly new Rolexes, I can't imagine there are many...if ANY...vintage pieces out there that haven't been worked-on by an independent/third-party watchmaker over the decades.
Being a collector of vintage Rolexes, third-party watchmakers come with the territory.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 01:15 AM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Several of the recommended independents (Ridley, LAWW, etc.) could probably source a used bezel for you and service the movement. Or you can buy the bezel for yourself on eBay or the forum. It might be a little cheaper than RSC, but I don't know if the difference will be very substantial. The main advantage of using an independent is that they are likely to be more sensitive to your wishes regarding maintaining the vintage nature of the watch, whereas Rolex may require certain repairs that you may or may not want to do. It's hard to know in advance.

However, my thinking is that it would be best to sell it as-is. That way, whoever buys it can decide for themselves what type of restoration to do. Maybe they will want to install a service bezel/insert, or maybe they will want to find something more period-correct. If you make the decision for them, you are putting money into the watch in a way that the new owner might not want, so it might be hard to get that money back in an increased sale price.
Old 11 August 2020, 03:09 AM   #20
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

well I will answer a bunch of posts at once! It was my college grad gift. My dad and mom are rolex people. I was a scuba diver since day one and spent 24 yrs in Belize with it on my wrist, other than spending multiple thousands over the years sending it off for servicing and repairs. And now to lose another complete bezel was the last straw! Thats a grand plus who knows how much for a servicing and polishing out many scratches. I am not a jewelry guy and I kept the rolex because it was the most comfortable no sweat/smell watch to wear once the band got broken in. It has been in blood and dust ( I was a logger) and under water more than most.

Interesting I found that many watches of the same size fit the band. I had a seiko diver pre college with a rolex band and now have an old luminox with my old band on it. ( I call it my repairs watch).

I actually like the spinnaker bradner model with the internal bezel...unique. a friend has one and my spare rolex band will fit. I use my bezel more now for timing bbq than anything else.

I will post some pics of my 16800 that has been 'thru the mill'
Old 11 August 2020, 04:17 AM   #21
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
While that may be a viable option for fairly new Rolexes, I can't imagine there are many...if ANY...vintage pieces out there that haven't been worked-on by an independent/third-party watchmaker over the decades.
Being a collector of vintage Rolexes, third-party watchmakers come with the territory.
Yes indeed and there are some really great 3rd party watchmakers who i would blindly trust. LAWW, Ridley’s i.e.
Unfortunately also a lot of people not worth it being called a watchmaker who do more damage than good. I was referring to the latter “watch guys” trying to give a sensible answer to the OP’s question and not meant to talk down the true professionals
Old 11 August 2020, 04:43 AM   #22
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Here are some pics I just took of my watch. It runs great and no issue other than the obvious. Any idea what it is worth as is? I dont have the box and papers anymore but can verify it was sold to me via rolex dealer in Eugene, Oregon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (285.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.jpg (180.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.jpg (285.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0413.jpg (285.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 11 August 2020, 05:13 AM   #23
Sherbie
"TRF" Member

I think most of the value has already been stripped away at historic services - as you have a service Luminova dial and hand set ( and no bezel nor insert)

This would have originally come with matte tritium dial and hands

So i say just wear as it is, or replace the bezel and insert (again) and wear it only on high days and holidays

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 05:15 AM   #24
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Yes indeed and there are some really great 3rd party watchmakers who i would blindly trust. LAWW, Ridley’s i.e.
Unfortunately also a lot of people not worth it being called a watchmaker who do more damage than good. I was referring to the latter “watch guys” trying to give a sensible answer to the OP’s question and not meant to talk down the true professionals
Understood!
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 05:37 AM   #25
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbie View Post
I think most of the value has already been stripped away at historic services - as you have a service Luminova dial and hand set ( and no bezel nor insert)

This would have originally come with matte tritium dial and hands

So i say just wear as it is, or replace the bezel and insert (again) and wear it only on high days and holidays

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking back 20 yrs ago and yes rolex had replaced my dial as it had some spotting on it..and I guess they put on new hands...remember it didnt light up as well at night when I got it back!
Old 11 August 2020, 08:41 AM   #26
statsman
"TRF" Member

I don’t know...I hear my dad say things like, “That Seiko I bought on the troop ship on the way to Vietnam was the best watch I ever had” and I ask him- “where is it?”

“Aah, I sold it in a garage sale.” Argh!

Or “I wish I had held onto my Hammerli 102 That I won the 1971 Pan Am games gold medal with”. Yeah, Dad, I kind of wish you did, too.

Do you have any kids or grandkids? They might want “the Rolex I put through the ringer in decades of dives”.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 10:07 AM   #27
77T
2024 Pledge Member

If it’s working, and you’re going to continue castnetting, leave it as is.

If you get it serviced and a replacement bezel, then move it to the other wrist from now on when you go castnetting.

But I suggest reconsidering selling it.

I still have an Omega from the 60’s that was from my parents and not selling it ever.

It’s going to be with you for life hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 10:18 AM   #28
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

I hear you guys. I am getting sentimental! I called a rolex trader I know and he is checking on price for a service/bezel job/polishing thru the guy he has used for 20 yrs, who is a retired rolex repairman. probably be the way to go as he says it is about 1/2 price of rolex for servicing.
A friend just offered me his grandpa's 16610 from early 90's for 5k. It looks like been in the box most of its life. not a scratch. But it isnt my watch!
Old 11 August 2020, 10:22 AM   #29
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You should buy that 16610 for $5k. That's a steal.
Old 11 August 2020, 10:44 AM   #30
Tesoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
You should buy that 16610 for $5k. That's a steal.
he is a friend! he needs radar for his boat. what is it worth roughly?