The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 June 2018, 04:24 AM   #1
Usanghai
"TRF" Member

Icon17 Rolex 1803 Day Date -- Questionable seller constraints buying from Italy / Chrono24

Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first adult watch (just turned 25) -- I settled on an 1803 Day-Date with a Buckley dial, that I found listed from an Italian seller (I am based in the US) on Chrono24. The seller is Steel Watches (steelwatches dot it)

I met the sellers asking price of EUR 5,000 ~ $6,000. The seller cancelled the transaction, and came back with the following:

---
Hello US thank you for your order,

this watch is part of my private collection and I can't invoice it as Steel Watches (I will invoice under my name, I have vat also as watch reseller). In this case you will have to do a direct payment via wire transfer (no TCO). [I imagine this is Trusted Checkout Offer]

Otherwise my business parter will be in NY starting from June 20th and he can delivery the watch directly in your hand (if you like it you can pay directly him by cash or you can do a wire transfer).

I stay at your disposal for any furhter question you might have and thank you for having choosen SteelWatches

Best Regards
Alfredo Vergani
President&Chairman

---

I have learnt to be cynical / skeptical the hard way, but I wanted to see what you all made of the note above? I am skeptical for the following reasons:

-- Not having Chrono24's trusted checkout offer mechanism
-- Not having the purchase protection of Chase Sapphire Resserve
-- I do not understand the "private collection" comment - is that really something I have to deal with, or shouldnt the seller be responsible for bearing the costs / logistical trouble associated with this?

That being said, I do really really like this watch (even relative to close comparables), which is why I am wondering if it is worth the risk.

My current plan is to agree to buying the watch in person at the Rolex store or at an Authorized Dealer in New York and having them verify it on the spot...(if they would even do such a thing)

Would appreciate any thoughts / advice / suggestions.

Thank you!
US
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803 Day Date.jpg (46.5 KB, 342 views)
Usanghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Magnification is wrong. Overall looks fake and buyers conditions add more red flags. Sellers in Italy require additional caution.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 09:51 AM   #3
MinMay
Banned

You're the buyer with the money. You tell the seller your condition and terms. There are millions of Rolex out there...you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

Sounds like you know what to do...like meet up at at Rolex dealership to authenticate. Just make sure you protect yourself.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 10:09 AM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Magnification is wrong. Overall looks fake and buyers conditions add more red flags. Sellers in Italy require additional caution.

A aftermarket glass does not make a watch fake ? Best not comment on day dates if you have no knowledge of them

To the other person if you have concerns as you do with the whole situation pull out of the deal I would in this case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2018, 11:48 AM   #5
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
A aftermarket glass does not make a watch fake ? Best not comment on day dates if you have no knowledge of them

To the other person if you have concerns as you do with the whole situation pull out of the deal I would in this case

That said, watch does not jump out as all "genuine" - ??
adam
Old 13 June 2018, 12:55 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1803 Day Date -- Questionable seller constraints buying from Italy / Chrono24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
That said, watch does not jump out as all "genuine" - ??

adam

In what way ? Granted hands are incorrect for a Buckley, typical inner lug wear from misfitted original Bracelet they were always not the greatest fit, known Dial ? Open 6 on the date wheel,and likely a broken tooth on the day wheel causing misalignment. Typical Rose gold patina of tarnished yellow gold ???

Old 10 June 2018, 10:53 PM   #7
KLEJNOT_NILU
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Magnification is wrong. Overall looks fake
I think you jumped to that conclusion too fast. I saw many vintage DD's with aftermarket crystals and many of them had no service done it years. It resulted in a day and date disk being a little off and low mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dob1 View Post
If it is your first high-end watch, consider buying from an AD.
That's kinda hard with new DD's prices
KLEJNOT_NILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 12:10 PM   #8
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usanghai View Post
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first adult watch (just turned 25) -- I settled on an 1803 Day-Date with a Buckley dial, that I found listed from an Italian seller (I am based in the US) on Chrono24. The seller is Steel Watches (steelwatches dot it)

I met the sellers asking price of EUR 5,000 ~ $6,000. The seller cancelled the transaction, and came back with the following:

---
Hello US thank you for your order,

this watch is part of my private collection and I can't invoice it as Steel Watches (I will invoice under my name, I have vat also as watch reseller). In this case you will have to do a direct payment via wire transfer (no TCO). [I imagine this is Trusted Checkout Offer]

Otherwise my business parter will be in NY starting from June 20th and he can delivery the watch directly in your hand (if you like it you can pay directly him by cash or you can do a wire transfer).

I stay at your disposal for any furhter question you might have and thank you for having choosen SteelWatches

Best Regards
Alfredo Vergani
President&Chairman

---

I have learnt to be cynical / skeptical the hard way, but I wanted to see what you all made of the note above? I am skeptical for the following reasons:

-- Not having Chrono24's trusted checkout offer mechanism
-- Not having the purchase protection of Chase Sapphire Resserve
-- I do not understand the "private collection" comment - is that really something I have to deal with, or shouldnt the seller be responsible for bearing the costs / logistical trouble associated with this?

That being said, I do really really like this watch (even relative to close comparables), which is why I am wondering if it is worth the risk.

My current plan is to agree to buying the watch in person at the Rolex store or at an Authorized Dealer in New York and having them verify it on the spot...(if they would even do such a thing)

Would appreciate any thoughts / advice / suggestions.

Thank you!
US
There are So Many Trusted Sellers right here on TRF, why would you try to make a Questionable Purchase of a watch that is Thousands Of Miles Away?

Be Patient, Do Your Research (Includuing Posting Photos Here), Take Your Time and you will make out just fine.

Good Luck.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 12:15 PM   #9
dob1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Icon14

If it is your first high-end watch, consider buying from an AD.
dob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 12:33 PM   #10
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

The few things I see besides the shady seller tactics. The magnification is super low, the day wheel is off and the inside of the lugs look like they are not square. I would pass and try to find what you are looking for here in the states.
Old 10 June 2018, 01:14 PM   #11
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I'd definitely pass on that deal.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 10:27 PM   #12
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
I would walk from this piece
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 11:13 PM   #13
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
For peace of mind, I wouldn't buy that watch, I would contact trusted sellers on here to see what they have, as others have pointed out, there are lots of pre owned Rolex watches out there, and if there is an element of doubt in my mind I would walk away.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2018, 11:28 PM   #14
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
Unless transaction is smooth as silk, walk away.
Old 10 June 2018, 11:41 PM   #15
Usanghai
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your thoughtful advice! I will be walking away from it.
Old 11 June 2018, 12:49 AM   #16
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usanghai View Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice! I will be walking away from it.
Good decision. Be patient and continue to look and research; including checking out the classified section on here.

Good luck with the search.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 03:53 AM   #17
DoDe
"TRF" Member

To many questions. Walk away.
DoDe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:37 PM   #18
Usanghai
"TRF" Member

Thank you!
Old 13 June 2018, 12:52 PM   #19
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

$6,000 is a lot of money but if you’re able to hold out a little longer and save a bit (or find a seller more credit card friendly) you can find an 1803 with the matching gold bracelet. That’s a huge boost and I’ve seen some for around 9k. Make sure you’ve tried one on before pulling the trigger as well. I’ve been in love with watches only to see it fade once it’s on my wrist (usually too big or too small).
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 10:00 PM   #20
Usanghai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
$6,000 is a lot of money but if you’re able to hold out a little longer and save a bit (or find a seller more credit card friendly) you can find an 1803 with the matching gold bracelet. That’s a huge boost and I’ve seen some for around 9k. Make sure you’ve tried one on before pulling the trigger as well. I’ve been in love with watches only to see it fade once it’s on my wrist (usually too big or too small).
Thank you for your comment.

I actually prefer a non-gold bracelet (I work in a conservative environment, and a full solid gold watch would be too much). I tried one on in store and also tried a vintage full gold one with at a vintage dealer, and really liked it but thats still a great suggestion.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:45 AM   #21
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The seller states that he does not want to issue a doctored invoice on who's request btw and you question his integrity
Old 14 June 2018, 03:27 AM   #22
Usanghai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The seller states that he does not want to issue a doctored invoice on who's request btw and you question his integrity
I’m paying $6k for a watch with undisclosed aftermarket parts and servicing, to someone in a foreign country, who is asking me to waive all my protections as a buyer (cash or wire, no TCO). Sorry if I hurt his feelings (or yours), but I’m going to do my diligence.