The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 June 2014, 01:39 AM   #1
GhostInTheMachine
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5167A questions

I read somewhere that the 5167A does not have a hacking second when setting the time. How do you set the second hand then?
GhostInTheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2014, 02:03 AM   #2
kxux
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
I was worried about this at first, but with the accuracy of the watch this is a non-issue for me.

I just wind it up knowing that the mechanism starts after about 7-10 full revolutions. I know it takes me about 10 seconds to wind-up. If I'm within 10 seconds I don't worry about it. If it's more you can stop the second hand by gently holding the crown and go slightly backwards. But this sometimes stop the mechanism completely.

I basically learned not to be OCD about it. +\- few seconds is no big deal.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2014, 02:04 AM   #3
kxux
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
I should say that I have 5165, same watch in slightly smaller form factor.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2014, 02:11 AM   #4
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
the second hand slows down (or stops) when you apply pressure on the crown in the opposite direction to setting time - it's a "feature" in the 324 movement

Not sure if it works for the 5167 but I can set the seconds to the exact time on the 5726

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2014, 02:37 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipjin View Post
the second hand slows down (or stops) when you apply pressure on the crown in the opposite direction to setting time - it's a "feature" in the 324 movement

Not sure if it works for the 5167 but I can set the seconds to the exact time on the 5726

Yes this works on the 5167. I don't actually bother though. It basically starts up right away so if you want to be within 5 seconds there will be no issues.
Old 15 June 2014, 02:52 AM   #6
GhostInTheMachine
"TRF" Member

Hmmmm thanks everyone. It's two fold for me, setting the time, and making sure the hands align. And then, I was looking past the date because it's such a handsome design, I actually would prefer no date.

Not much to choose from PP with no date/automatic in white metal >= 38mm
Old 15 June 2014, 02:58 AM   #7
GhostInTheMachine
"TRF" Member

Impossible right now…what I am asking for. The 5167A sure is a beautiful design…it's taking hold of me...
Old 15 June 2014, 03:48 AM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMachine View Post
Impossible right now…what I am asking for. The 5167A sure is a beautiful design…it's taking hold of me...
It's a stunner. Make sure to try it on, as it does run small IMHO.

Great Patek to dress up or down.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2014, 06:16 AM   #9
GhostInTheMachine
"TRF" Member

The Patek boutique in Tiffany's says they are hard to come by now. They have only seen 2 this year alone. Could not try one on.
Old 15 June 2014, 06:20 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Patek boutique in Tiffany's says they are hard to come by now. They have only seen 2 this year alone. Could not try one on.

Your best bet is to try on the rose gold 5167 or 5164 (ideally both) as a proxy then give George at govberg a call. I did and was pleased.

Old 25 June 2014, 06:07 AM   #11
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the UK as well, I had to try a 5167/1A (bracelet version) and order it on rubber. AD said they are only getting a few a year, finally got mine today.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 06:19 AM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspark View Post
Your best bet is to try on the rose gold 5167 or 5164 (ideally both) as a proxy then give George at govberg a call. I did and was pleased.

Good luck finding those as well! None of the Aquanauts are easy to find much like 5711 although not quite as hard.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 07:21 AM   #13
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Watch: CROWN MARKED
Agree with the recommendation of Govberg. Another salesperson named Joshua there is excellent as well. I highly recommend them/him - a wonderful AD experience and a great guy to deal with. If you happen to be in the Philadelphia area I would also recommend Butcher and Singer (a few doors down) for a nice post purchase steak.
Old 25 June 2014, 09:51 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Good luck finding those as well! None of the Aquanauts are easy to find much like 5711 although not quite as hard.
Yeah truth be told ken I was basing this off my experience at a particular AD in naples Florida, Yamron. They had a fantastic stock compared to others I have visited recently in Virginia and Miami. Yamron had about 20 or more pieces on hand among them the 5164 and 5167r. Told me they rarely get 5711s or 5167s and when they do they are typically spoken for.

That said, I had no trouble sourcing mine through govberg
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 10:26 AM   #15
HL65

Quote:
Yeah truth be told ken I was basing this off my experience at a particular AD in naples Florida, Yamron. They had a fantastic stock compared to others I have visited recently in Virginia and Miami. Yamron had about 20 or more pieces on hand among them the 5164 and 5167r. Told me they rarely get 5711s or 5167s and when they do they are typically spoken for.

Got it! Yamron is owned by Govberg. George got my 5980R from that store as they didn't have it in Philly. Either way the 5167 is a great watch and I look forward to my new 5167R! Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 25 June 2014, 10:48 AM   #16
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Govberg have a great relationship with them. In march they had patek bigs in for a 175 Anniversary Celebration - may mean something but who knows.
Old 25 June 2014, 10:58 AM   #17
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got it! Yamron is owned by Govberg. George got my 5980R from that store as they didn't have it in Philly. Either way the 5167 is a great watch and I look forward to my new 5167R! Cheers,
Congrats on this! - the pictures you posted of the 5167R just a wonderful looking piece. The R part is beyond my range but remove the R and I'm only 3 days away!
Old 25 June 2014, 11:02 AM   #18
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGROLESAR View Post
Congrats on this! - the pictures you posted of the 5167R just a wonderful looking piece. The R part is beyond my range but remove the R and I'm only 3 days away!
Thanks and then congrats to you as well on your new 5167A!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 25 June 2014, 01:12 PM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
First off congrats! I've been waiting for someone to acquire the 5167r!
Dying to see some better real life shots. Thought mike was moving in on one awhile back with his sneaky poll

Thanks for the info! I actually feel great knowing I didn't skirt around Yamron in the end. I tried on the 5167r and 5164 (layed them on my wrist lol you can't really try an aquanaut on) at the waterside shops. I then pondered my options over dinner, contacted you regarding George, and called George from Vanderbilt beach to confirm availability the next day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGROLESAR View Post
Congrats you will not be disappointed! Does this mean we will be seeing some of your famous shots in the patek forum??
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 01:29 PM   #20
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
It's a very nice piece
CWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 01:50 PM   #21
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I look forward to my new 5167R! Cheers,
can't wait
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2014, 01:56 PM   #22
HL65

Quote:
First off congrats! I've been waiting for someone to acquire the 5167r!
Dying to see some better real life shots. Thought mike was moving in on one awhile back with his sneaky poll

Thanks for the info! I actually feel great knowing I didn't skirt around Yamron in the end. I tried on the 5167r and 5164 (layed them on my wrist lol you can't really try an aquanaut on) at the waterside shops. I then pondered my options over dinner, contacted you regarding George, and called George from Vanderbilt beach to confirm availability the next day!

Congrats you will not be disappointed! Does this mean we will be seeing some of your famous shots in the patek forum??
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
can't wait

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 25 June 2014, 03:42 PM   #23
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Learn something new everyday... I didn't realize Yamron was affiliated with Govberg! I stop by Yamron whenever I'm back in Naples to check out the PPs.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote