The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2019, 07:37 AM   #1
Orthogonal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713LN
Talking with TS's

I have never dealt with a TS before. If I want to proposition them for a trade do you just email them hit them straight up with it? Or do you need to become friendly with them and so on? Will they commonly barter back with you?
I want to inquire about a trade, my gmt and S&G for a DD and I am curious to see what additional cash they would like.

Any advice is welcomed
Orthogonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:39 AM   #2
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Don’t expect a straight value for value trade. Much like trying to trade in a car, yours is always worth less then theirs. It’s a business no need to waste each other’s time, just tell them what you have and want and go from there
Old 24 May 2019, 07:40 AM   #3
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthogonal View Post
I have never dealt with a TS before. If I want to proposition them for a trade do you just email them hit them straight up with it? Or do you need to become friendly with them and so on? Will they commonly barter back with you?
I want to inquire about a trade, my gmt and S&G for a DD and I am curious to see what additional cash they would like.

Any advice is welcomed
What is S&G?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:41 AM   #4
Orthogonal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
What is S&G?
A Tudor TT BB...steel and gold?
Old 24 May 2019, 07:42 AM   #5
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:

Any advice is welcomed
I don't think you need to become friendly with them. It's just a business transaction for them. As mentioned, it's like trading in a car, they have to take it in and make money off of it, so you won't get as much as you would selling it yourself but you don't have to deal with any of the potential headache either.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:42 AM   #6
tie219
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT, BBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
What is S&G?
I think it's a steel and gold Tudor
tie219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:46 AM   #7
Orthogonal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I don't think you need to become friendly with them. It's just a business transaction for them. As mentioned, it's like trading in a car, they have to take it in and make money off of it, so you won't get as much as you would selling it yourself but you don't have to deal with any of the potential headache either.
Yeah I understand it's a business to them. I'm more curious on if they get mad if they make a quote and you end up walking away from it. Does it end up looking bad on you? Do they refrain from doing business with you in the future or do they just move along?

I think I get the idea here that they could really care less, give them an email and if I don't like the deal now, then walk away. That simple
Old 24 May 2019, 07:49 AM   #8
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Yeah I understand it's a business to them. I'm more curious on if they get mad if they make a quote and you end up walking away from it. Does it end up looking bad on you? Do they refrain from doing business with you in the future or do they just move along?

I think I get the idea here that they could really care less, give them an email and if I don't like the deal now, then walk away. That simple

Yeah, I think it’s that simple. I don’t think they will care of you don’t take their deal. What I wouldn’t do is beat them up over a price if you’re unsure you want to buy. Being in sales myself I can’t stand that.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:50 AM   #9
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
OP, just message or email them, give description of what you have, attach pictures of the watches and all they come with, inquire about the DD you are looking to buy. They will say yes to your trades + a cash amount, or no to one or both. You could then discuss an out the door price for the DD with no trades and sell yours as a private individual. That has been my experience with TSs. Good luck!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:50 AM   #10
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Unless you commit to buy something, why would it bother them? Just let them know that you're throwing out some feelers and what you're looking to do.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:53 AM   #11
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea it’s silple email any dealer and they will offer you half of what your watch is worth and want full retail for theirs....seen it 1000 times
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:01 AM   #12
Bigblu10
Banned

I did a trade of 2 Subs plus a cash wire for a BNIB YG Sub. Was a very fair deal and I couldn't be happier. Sent an email to the TS. Texted him pics of my watches. Seller was JustRolexes Tony and he was awesome to deal with. Only requirement is he wants full sets.. boxes, papers, et al.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:30 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Everything is up for negotiation and as you have this forum as a platform no decent TS is going to behave unfairly to you and risk being called out here.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #14
zengineer
"TRF" Member

The only way you will have an issue is if you waste their time. Offer your Hummel collection for a Platonia if you want but do it in one email, not 9.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:48 AM   #15
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Trading is easier but you pay for the convenience, you'll do better by selling your watches privately then buying the new one but that comes with risk, headache etc

To answer your question a bit more directly, just send them an email (or PM though TRF) explaining what you are wanting and they will counter with what they are prepared to do, simple as that
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote