The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2019, 01:53 AM   #121
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

That out of the way, I’m realizing after all these years my passion for watches is truly dwindling. Yes, I do love watches. That won’t change. But I think I’m over the need to have a “collection”. And to continue the hunt for the perfect daily, which has always been my driving factor.
I completely agree and I am right there with you
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:55 AM   #122
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Was going to hold off to post. But what the heck.

They drove to my house to ensure it fit in my garage. It looks pretty good there.
Outstanding!

I am not ready to go that far, but I am strongly considering the same move with several of my watches to get into a higher level Mercedes or something similar.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 24 May 2019, 04:47 AM   #123
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I completely agree and I am right there with you
Quote:
Outstanding!

I am not ready to go that far, but I am strongly considering the same move with several of my watches to get into a higher level Mercedes or something similar.
Thanks for the comment, Brian.

Would love to hear what you decide to do.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:06 AM   #124
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They drove to my house to ensure it fit in my garage. It looks pretty good there.

Wow, brother congrats!!! What an amazing machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Albusdabbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:16 AM   #125
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Congrats Seth, that's awesome, haven't seen much criticism yet and honestly didn't expect to. Watch forum yes, but also general discussion, most of the watch fanatics don't care much for the general discussion's and we all seem to have a love of cars here. Not quite to your level but you have like minded brothers all drooling at that black-stallion.

Out of curiosity, where are you going to be able to open that baby up? Track-days, 3-4AM on the local freeway? I mean where can you put that baby through it's paces?
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:25 AM   #126
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Congrats Seth, that's awesome, haven't seen much criticism yet and honestly didn't expect to. Watch forum yes, but also general discussion, most of the watch fanatics don't care much for the general discussion's and we all seem to have a love of cars here. Not quite to your level but you have like minded brothers all drooling at that black-stallion.

Out of curiosity, where are you going to be able to open that baby up? Track-days, 3-4AM on the local freeway? I mean where can you put that baby through it's paces?
so this is a super question. very likely it will be rare that i really enjoy what this sucker can do. i mean.... even on a track, this thing will be way more than my skill level can handle. obviously.

I do plan on taking more driving lessons in both this and the 911.

and a massive part of buying this car is for marketing purposes for the new venture. so just cruising around town, going on organized drives and various get togethers will be the main purpose.

I would be lying though if i did not expect to enjoy the abilities of this monster. since my last incident, i have gotten really good at knowing my limits. and 0-70 or so from an on ramp can be a lot of fun. windy roads are a ton of fun as well.

heck it is similar in the 911. just driving around is a lot of fun. that car is also way more than my skill level.

i do have one track day already planned. i will never "race" this thing. but I will be at the track a fair amount simply to improve my driving and enjoy the feeling. i will only be racing myself at these events.

and i did expect a few detractors. i am used to it, and open to it. i know my tastes are not for everyone, and I am okay with that. but it is nice that those folks have decided not to rain on this particular parade today. if any of those guys are reading this....thank you.

Old 24 May 2019, 09:22 AM   #127
encarter13
"TRF" Member

So, honest question. I have seen a few post where you talk about your wife and I know you really love her.

1 - Does she get free range of all the cars?

2 - What does Mrs. Superdog Seth drive?

Old 24 May 2019, 10:21 AM   #128
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
So, honest question. I have seen a few post where you talk about your wife and I know you really love her.

1 - Does she get free range of all the cars?

2 - What does Mrs. Superdog Seth drive?

Ha. Good question. She has access as long as it’s an automatic. So far, she’s been very uncomfortable about driving anything besides the range. That said, she’s been talking non stop about taking the 458. So we will see. She’s welcome to if she wants.

She drives a C43 AMG sedan. She loves it.

Old 24 May 2019, 10:24 AM   #129
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I've sold watches in the past to justify buying expensive camera lenses, and I've regretted doing so every time. I've never bought a Rolex, or any other watch for that matter, with the idea of developing a collection. I've done it because I enjoy them, and I have no plans of ever selling another. I may give some away to grandchildren, daughters or sons-in-law however.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:33 AM   #130
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
the only thing it is missing is the rear view camera. i think i will miss that and it was almost a deal breaker until i remembered that we just got those 10 years ago. or so.
You won't miss it unless you have the carbon fiber rear diffuser and like to back into spaces - even then you'll get used to it
Old 24 May 2019, 02:20 PM   #131
Albusdabbledore
"TRF" Member

Hard Decisions Today

Quote:
Ha. Good question. She has access as long as it’s an automatic. So far, she’s been very uncomfortable about driving anything besides the range. That said, she’s been talking non stop about taking the 458. So we will see. She’s welcome to if she wants.

She drives a C43 AMG sedan. She loves it.

Your wife and I drive the same model I’m okay with that though. I have a coupe although

Albusdabbledore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:37 PM   #132
Lawman77
"TRF" Member

Do you park all of these cars in the street or driveway? No criticism, but I'd be hella nervous doing that.
Lawman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:58 PM   #133
Cru Jones

Quote:

Oh yes. You’ve done well, Seth. Very well.

Congratulations and enjoy!!

F’ Patek. That’s the way to go!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:05 PM   #134
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Cool thread Seth and thanks for taking the time to explain why your interest in watches has faded while at the same time your interest in cars has grown exponentially.

Yeah, the majority of the social media side of watch collecting seems to be about boasting or bragging, than appreciating the aesthetics, design, workmanship and engineering.

Can't go wrong with a 911, 458 and Range Rover! That's a dream garage right there! Please post pics of that 458 when you can and tell us what she drives like. I can see the 458 being a future collectible, being the last NA mid-engined Ferrari.

Quote:
interesting how communication works.

i can't imagine how my post prompted your response. but i am sure something i wrote triggered it.

anyway, to address your comment, I really like my AD and have a very nice relationship with them. i have little to no problems with most AD's and their place in the market.

my issue, which is not really an issue, is the actual watch collectors and how it has exploded on social media and everywhere else. i don't really like the attitudes i see either. it is just not for me. i prefer to be the geek not the cool guy. watches were better when they were for geeks.

and hey, its not an issue. i am not complaining. i honestly don't care. i have a nice little collection that gives me some diversity and i like it.

for some very good reasons, i just prefer cars.

on my way to work this morning some tool was tailgating me. i was in 3rd just coming out of a school zone, driving super slow. i mean....school zone. anyway, as i come out and pass the crossing guards, i dropped it into 2nd to take a turn and left tailgater in my dust. it was, and always is exhilarating.

to me, there is very little else that gives me the excitement and feeling of being alive than torque and the sound of an exhaust.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:01 PM   #135
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Seth, I'm feeling exactly the same. Watches isn't as exciting anymore. Been looking at 1980ties Beemers lately.
Old 24 May 2019, 06:25 PM   #136
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albusdabbledore View Post
Your wife and I drive the same model I’m okay with that though. I have a coupe although

It’s an incredible car.

Old 24 May 2019, 06:35 PM   #137
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman77 View Post
Do you park all of these cars in the street or driveway? No criticism, but I'd be hella nervous doing that.
Ummm, I don’t get it. “Hella nervous”. Cars are typically outside. They can have problems related to being outside while driving, parking, etc. but they are cars. If anything, I’m far more nervous about pot holes, other seiners and tool bags parking too close in parking lots. But nervous about my driveway? Not particularly. I do agree though, I’d not be comfortable street parking any of these.

I’ve had to park my cars outside since I was 18. In fact, my folks parked in the garage when I was a kid (16). So I’ve never really had a garage spot. No problems.

Until recently with a one car garage in the townhouse. So besides a weekender the last few years, Ive always had cars outside.

Would I prefer the 911 indoors all the time. Yes. I would. But she’s fully wrapped and I’ve protected the Targa top. The 458 will occupy the garage spot. Until winter when one of them will go into storage. But that’s just to avoid the winter elements. Oh, and I’ve done the research. Plenty of folks on rennlist keep their 911 outside year round in east coast type weather.

So not nervous. They are still just cars. And they are insured.

Old 24 May 2019, 06:36 PM   #138
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Seth, I'm feeling exactly the same. Watches isn't as exciting anymore. Been looking at 1980ties Beemers lately.
Let me know if you ever want to chat about that. 80’s was a great decade for BMW. The style of those cars is forever classic and classy. Would love to document your journey on the upcoming website. Or just chat about it in general.

Old 24 May 2019, 06:46 PM   #139
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Oh yes. You’ve done well, Seth. Very well.

Congratulations and enjoy!!

F’ Patek. That’s the way to go!
Thanks brother. I happen to agree.

Don’t miss the watches at all. Don’t imagine I will. One more sleep before I pick up the 458. Very exciting.

Old 24 May 2019, 07:33 PM   #140
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Let me know if you ever want to chat about that. 80’s was a great decade for BMW. The style of those cars is forever classic and classy. Would love to document your journey on the upcoming website. Or just chat about it in general.
Absolutely , really busy this weekend, as we're up and running again for the season.

I've had two E34 M5's (S36 & S38) back in early 2000's. Looking to had a nice example, possibly after the summer or late summer.
Old 24 May 2019, 09:14 PM   #141
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comment, Brian.

Would love to hear what you decide to do.
Thanks.

I still have two years of extended warranty and two pre-paid service visits left on my E350 but I have been shopping.

Something for touring, want to retire and take some road trips. Looking at a lot of things, the new GT53, a CLS perhaps, The Audi RS5, Porsche maybe, something electric . . .

We will see!
Old 24 May 2019, 10:16 PM   #142
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I still have two years of extended warranty and two pre-paid service visits left on my E350 but I have been shopping.

Something for touring, want to retire and take some road trips. Looking at a lot of things, the new GT53, a CLS perhaps, The Audi RS5, Porsche maybe, something electric . . .

We will see!
Fun and exciting. Some nice cars you listed. My favorite out of that list (depending on the Porsche) is the RS5. I fell in love with the Audi sports like a long time ago. If they bring the RS4 back to the states I’d have to figure out how to get one.

Old 24 May 2019, 10:32 PM   #143
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fun and exciting. Some nice cars you listed. My favorite out of that list (depending on the Porsche) is the RS5. I fell in love with the Audi sports like a long time ago. If they bring the RS4 back to the states I’d have to figure out how to get one.
Agreed, the Audi is nice as is the A/S6

My issue with them is the ZF transmissions they use, same as the nightmare BMW I had (two transmissions in). That was why I bought the E350 last time which has been flawless.

My other issue is that I still really like this car

Old 25 May 2019, 08:37 AM   #144
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Whoa! As the song goes "0 to a hundred real quick, real f*ckin' quick..."

Nice car, man. I wish you many trouble-free miles. I also hope you don't have to recreate the scene from the original Fast & Furious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg5aNzA19VQ
Absolutely love that scene.

And I can assure you that’s never going to be me.

Old 25 May 2019, 08:38 AM   #145
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

My issue with them is the ZF transmissions they use, same as the nightmare BMW I had (two transmissions in). That was why I bought the E350 last time which has been flawless.

A lot to like right there.

Incredible vehicle. The E class as a whole is just really nice!!!

Old 25 May 2019, 09:11 AM   #146
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
Beautiful car Seth, nice ‘collection’ on both ends. As for the rearview, someone has to make a system to add to it.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:13 PM   #147
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:

Gorgeous car. I am as huge a MB fan as anyone here. But, the knock on MB today is it sooo diluted as a brand. Too many entry level classes to list. But, your E class is for me the real MB car. Just like for BMW, I know I will get flamed, but the 5 series is the real deal. Anyway, you have an incredible car!

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:20 PM   #148
Erod24
"TRF" Member

What are the options for the new car
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:12 PM   #149
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life. Literally, dreams over a lifetime came true.

And this car is everything you would expect from the brand. It actually far exceeds my expectations. In fact, I never even imagined it being this much of an animal. Between the sound and the performance, this vehicle is truly intoxicating.

I got lucky and there is a cars and coffeee happening today. I’m getting in a workout, picking up a buddy, and heading over with a pocket full of business cards.

In two weeks she goes in for a full plastic coating with a satin matte finish. I’ll post a few interior (which is amazing) shot today. Along with some other cars at the meet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2A869062-ECA5-40E2-8E11-34F26EE1E5DE.jpeg (99.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpeg DF61C9C8-D01B-4DF8-B95A-262D9DD82EB8.jpeg (241.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpeg FE503DC7-4580-4653-86AB-4CEA1450D79A.jpeg (153.8 KB, 132 views)

Old 26 May 2019, 08:19 PM   #150
Brew
"TRF" Member

WOW!!!

Congratulations. Simply amazing.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote