The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 11:53 AM   #1
obruno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub no date
What’s the real problem with the hulk availability?

Some says it’s just a demand x offer issue but it seems a little overrated the level of “demand” on it. I mean it’s far a complex watch among the range of Rolex models.

In the end of the day it seems an artificially lack of availability.

As I noticed it seems there are long waiting list all over the world, what doesn’t happen with a black one (and the only difference is the collor).

Anyway just an outflow regarding this

Best regards

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
GMT-Master II - Black | Submariner No date - Black | Submariner Date - Gold/Blue | Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 42 - Black | IWC Pilot's Watch Cronograph - "Le Petit" | Hublot Classifusion - Aerofusion Black Magic
obruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:13 PM   #2
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obruno View Post
Some says it’s just a demand x offer issue but it seems a little overrated the level of “demand” on it. I mean it’s far a complex watch among the range of Rolex models.

In the end of the day it seems an artificially lack of availability.

As I noticed it seems there are long waiting list all over the world, what doesn’t happen with a black one (and the only difference is the collor).

Anyway just an outflow regarding this

Best regards

The green Submariner is very popular. I do, too, believe the lack of supply is artificial.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Coolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obruno View Post
(and the only difference is the collor).

Best regards

Never under-estimate the power of color.

People will pay more for a car that is their favorite color, even when the one next to it is cheaper yet better in all other aspects.
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:38 PM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
No joke a retail secondary seller I visited had 10 of them in the case. 5 were stickered. Owner tells me each week people come in to sell their stickered ss Rolex to him.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
No joke a retail secondary seller I visited had 10 of them in the case. 5 were stickered. Owner tells me each week people come in to sell their stickered ss Rolex to him.
I believe it. Not too long ago LVcs just sat around ADs or for sale on the secondary market. Minus the crazy “premiums” of course.
Old 23 May 2019, 12:45 PM   #6
zjd168
"TRF" Member

believe or not, demand >>supply at retail price period.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Firstly, the Submariner LN is also hard to get hold of. Assuming less LVs are produced it stands to reason that it would be harder to get. Also, there is no reason to assume that Rolex models are hard to obtain because of high demand.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 06:00 PM   #8
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
There was a time Hulks sold for 10% off.

Those times are long gone.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 06:15 PM   #9
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

This says it all. There is no artificial shortage.

Demand exceeds supply. Add in the power of social media and it’s influencers and all of a sudden certain Rolex watches become an opportunity to make money.

LVCs didn’t suddenly become desirable because of the colour. They became desirable because a) they became hard to get and b) their market value skyrocketed. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It’s capitalism at its “finest”

There’s no conspiracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
In the pre-owned market there are plenty of Hulks around. At a watch trade market in Munich I saw 100+ 116610LVs for sale by greys. Probably the most offered Rolex SS model at the fair. So scarcity is IMHO artificial.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 06:28 PM   #11
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

Demand exceeds supply. Add in the power of social media and it’s influencers and all of a sudden certain Rolex watches become an opportunity to make money.

LVCs didn’t suddenly become desirable because of the colour. They became desirable because a) they became hard to get and b) their market value skyrocketed. Nothing more. Nothing less.

There’s no conspiracy.

Couldn't sum it up better if I tried
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 07:09 PM   #12
grimps
"TRF" Member

I bought mine years ago when they was easy to get , As soon as I'd purchased it the sales assistant pulled another one out and put it on display .
I would say that behind the Daytona ( which was always a little hard to get ) The hulk become the first watch to be difficult to get . I was watching the prices rise on the grey market well before any of the other professional watches began to rise .

There could be many reasons for this and maybe others can confirm but I have been told that Green is very popular in China and also heard that it's popular i the Middle east due to Green being the Prophets colour ?
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:26 PM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
What’s the real problem with the hulk availability?

In a word....hype.
Five years ago this watch sat on shelves like the five digit LV before it.
I don't necessarily believe there is a shortage but demand is up.
Problem? new middle layer of aggressive resellers, all the watches are available by the dozens on the second hand market. That's not shortage.

You want to see real shortage, demand, low production numbers... another one word, 5711.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

There’s no conspiracy.

Exactly, just saw a video on youtube about a Porsche GT3 explaining how he bought it...real estate, stocks and luxury watch sales....it wasn't DSW or any respectable seller, not even an enthusiast who knows watches. Just another "business man" who sees an opportunity and has financing to invest.
We all know the easiest way to get a Daytona is buy a pm, post it on IG, then flip them both. Easy money.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:59 PM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:

There’s no conspiracy.

Indeed. More frustrating was him bragging about their Instagram presence. He had no interest in selling a watch to me. A watch offered at 28.5k he would not move below that price. Even though on Ebay he would lose 3.5k on the sale. I left respectfully but a little let down. Could have made a deal.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:18 AM   #16
phow
"TRF" Member

I don't know... My AD made it sound pretty easy to put one in my hands. When I requested the last SS model I bought, he asked if I would rather have a Hulk instead.

The way it was said leads me to believe that the AD's are not allowed to just sell them to new customers but the AD's do have them (or have the ability to get them) rather easily.

I have noticed and I could be wrong that most first time buyers are interested in the Hulk and most repeat buyers seem to pass over it in favor of other references (e.g. GMT). This may be creating an issue for Rolex AD's.

Yes, if they opened up sales to everyone there would likely be no inventory but if repeat clients aren't buying them in great numbers, they probably have a surplus and that is likely why I keep getting offered one.

So I think the answer here is both. The demand from new customers definitely outweighs supply but the demand from repeat customers doesn't seem to do so.

Again, I could be totally wrong here but that's my take on it.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:20 AM   #17
Rosex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
There was a time Hulks sold for 10% off.

Those times are long gone.
I remember that, they were in windows everywhere. Now Rolex is making the same amount and people are up in arms, not the fault of Rolex. They not Nike!
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #18
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
They are currently enjoying great popularity. They use to be 20%-25% off. If you like the look, they are a nice watch. I would not buy any luxury item as an investment, but that's just me.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:28 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Have you tried getting a black one lately? Impossible even as a regular customer in most places.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:25 AM   #20
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
I remember that, they were in windows everywhere. Now Rolex is making the same amount and people are up in arms, not the fault of Rolex. They not Nike!
Yep and black subs would go for 20-25% off... Times were good.
Those were grey dealers offering that...The shops were a bit more reluctant to offer that high unless you were buying en-masse. Just like what the greys do nowadays but prices have shifted.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:34 AM   #21
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Wanting what isn't easily available and FOMO plays a big role
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:27 AM   #22
obruno
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub no date
My point is if a company notice it can make profit with some product it may try to boost its offering.
I agree it’s artificial

GMT-Master II - Black | Submariner No date - Black | Submariner Date - Gold/Blue | Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 42 - Black | IWC Pilot's Watch Cronograph - "Le Petit" | Hublot Classifusion - Aerofusion Black Magic
obruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 01:14 PM   #23
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:

There’s no conspiracy.

People lying about it being discontinued hasn’t helped any. We have been hearing for 4 years now it is going to be axed and it is impacting the price regardless if people want to admit it or not.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:27 PM   #24
RastabanStar
"TRF" Member

I've been watching LVs on watchrecon.com for a while, hoping for the dip that everyone is predicting.... but prices are going up. A month ago you could find them for $12K to $13K. Now its $14K to $15K.

Probably for the best. I don't need another Rolex anyway. I think it's time for me to step back and enjoy what I have. Maybe I'll save some money and check back in whenever Rolex puts out their new model case designs down the road.
RastabanStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:36 PM   #25
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
People lying about it being discontinued hasn’t helped any. We have been hearing for 4 years now it is going to be axed and it is impacting the price regardless if people want to admit it or not.
The real impact was these stupid rumors causing people to sell them for higher and higher. However, if no one bought them for those prices then that would have been the end of it. Unfortunately, all it takes literally is 1-2 buyers on EBay to buy them for the higher/crazy price and then everyone adjusts their pricing....

All it takes, rumors or not, for prices to creep higher....is for one or two people to buy at the inflated price. That is what has been happening.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:05 PM   #26
NKLV
"TRF" Member

The ADs I have talked to said they are seeing an 80% drop in their SS allocations compared to 5 years ago..
NKLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:51 PM   #27
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There’s no conspiracy.

Spot on

Nobody wanted this bloody thing in 2013 - which is why they were sitting in windows and I got a 12% discount on the RRP back then. About £5,100

Most people hated the green. Few liked it and many said it’s an awkward colour to match with clothes.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 04:53 PM   #28
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKLV View Post
The ADs I have talked to said they are seeing an 80% drop in their SS allocations compared to 5 years ago..
Doubt it. Would be very surprised if units delivered to AD had dropped.

I’d say they might be only managing to fulfill 20% of wait list per year.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote