The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2019, 11:59 PM   #31
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
But, is he? I thought he lost a lot of that love after the sexual abuse (if I remember correctly) allegations came out against him? My friend loved him when we were kids but lost a lot of respect for him when that all came out. It may have even been after he died?

I'm a Brewer fan but we had the Twins A-ball team here for many years before they left town so guys like Chuck Knoblauch, Pat Mahomes (Chiefs' QB's dad) played here way back when I was a kid.
Players fondly recall him as the ultimate team player. And time seems to have diminished the memory of the allegations against him. This statue of Puckett stands at Target Field, the Twins stadium.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:46 AM   #32
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Anyone been to Target Field this season? I here ticket promotions on the radio...seems like they’re having a hard time filling the stands despite their current record. It’s a shame, some have tuned them out based on past years.

I fondly remember fan reactions after the 2 World Series wins. If only...
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:52 AM   #33
dmb359

The weather has kinda sucked so far this season with the exception of a few days here in MN, it will get back to normal eventually.

I'm guessing it will be a lot more full come June/July, especially if they continue to do so well.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:32 AM   #34
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Attendance is a trailing indicator of interest. I gave up partial season tickets after 15 years of subscribing. I still go to games, but they have taken away a lot of the incentive to subscribe. And some horrific baseball has been played at Target Field since the 2010 season, with only one exception in 2017.

This trend definitely had an impact early on as they have only 10,000 full season ticket equivalents in place. It will rebound in attendance moving forward with team's play and weather, but the days of 25,000 season ticket equivalents driving attendance are gone for a long, long time. They will probably get around 1.8M-1.9M this season, when the goal is to consistently run at 2.4M.
Old 24 May 2019, 03:43 AM   #35
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL31 View Post

I fondly remember fan reactions after the 2 World Series wins. If only...
I went to one of the ALCS games at the Metrodome in 1987. Other than NHRA dragsters, I've never heard anything as loud as the crowd at that game. My friend standing next to me was screaming something in my ear, and I couldn't hear a single word he said.

I'm hoping that the fans come back as the season progresses. I think people are so accustomed to the Twins playing poorly that they've been taken off the summer activity list.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:42 AM   #36
Boothroyd

Boy, these guys are something. 17 games over .500, 8 game lead over Cleveland, 6-1 on west coast road trip. 8 HR's today with solid defense. Every one contributing. 1/3 of the season completed approximately. Let's hope it lasts! And still the best record in MLB, with the second best run differential.

Hey, Steve-O (lol-x), if you are watching MLB in AUS, try to tune in a couple of Twins games!
Old 1 June 2019, 09:00 PM   #37
Waxtactic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko 6138-0030
Another win for the Twins. If this team just had another solid starting pitcher...
Waxtactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 01:51 AM   #38
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Some great Twins over the years

As a child, I saw Jim Kaat pitch at Yankee Stadium against Mel Stottlemyre.

I remember Killibrew, Allison, Carew, Oliva as a kid.

Great tradition! Keep goin’ Twins!

But as a Yankee fan, with our best players injured, our “AAA” team is in first place.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 02:32 AM   #39
Boothroyd

The Twins continue to play promising baseball, with a great start, one of their best ever. A .500 record the rest of the way would give them 91 wins.

But I am under no illusion that getting into the playoffs against the Astros, the Rays, a healthy Yankees team or anyone else would be easy. Their bats have to continue to be hot, and it's all too easy to lose a key playoff game 1-0 when it counts. But I am enjoying the ride!
Old 6 June 2019, 10:19 AM   #40
Boothroyd

Dodgers finally caught them yesterday, and Astros tied. Fun while it lasted. Best start in Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins franchise history (since 1901). Hope the rest of the season is as interesting.
Old 16 June 2019, 03:09 AM   #41
Boothroyd

Beginning to believe this team is for real. If they can get some bullpen help at the trading deadline, they could be a real factor come postseason. They are deep in outfielder prospects in their farm system, so they have the necessary trade bait.

Joe Mauer is having his number retired by the Twins tonight. I saw an interesting case that he could be a MLB Hall of Fame candidate, which I dismissed previously. His catching numbers were tremendous, when injuries forced him to 1B for the remainder of his career, but the overall numbers still stack up.

Nice to finally see Target Field selling out to support this run of good fortune. Perhaps they will actually get 2M at the ballpark this year, which looked impossible with the rotten weather and attendance they had for spring homestands.
Old 16 June 2019, 04:21 AM   #42
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I'm starting to feel a twinge of optimism about the Twins as well, Daniel. But being a life-long Minnesota sports fan, I will probably only get truly hopeful during Game Seven of a World Series with a ten run lead in the ninth.

They gave away 10,000 purple Twins/Prince jerseys last night. I saw many on eBay before the game ended. They were actually pretty cool, and I think I'll look for one when the excitement--and prices--go down.