The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2019, 08:44 AM   #1
HIGH TIME
Banned

Explorer mark ii questionable power reserve

I bought my Explorer less than 3 months ago. It stopped on 2 occasions so I brought it into the AD. I informed the AD I alternate wrist time between my Explorer and my Tudor BB 58. He checked it and informed me that I had 52% power reserve and instructed me in the future to wind my Explorer (at least 20 times) when I put it on. He assured me that that there was nothing wrong with my Explorer. I believe the AD's advice was reasonable and prudent particularly when I consider the variables involved (1) whether my Explorer sufficiently wound when I took it off or (2) whether I was sufficiently active during the time I wore it. Consequently, I am adhering to the AD's advice notwithstanding that there is a substantial significant difference between a 48 hour power reserve and a 30 hour power reserve which ought to have been addressed in the instruction booklet.
HIGH TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:16 AM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I can agree with the advise given to you by the AD.
I can't reconcile your assumption regarding the information or lack thereof in the instruction booklet.

On the infrequent occasions you wear the Rolex you may simply choose to wind it manually up to around 40 turns before you put it on. It's not possible to overwind the mechanism anyway so you are ok to do that. It won't damage anything.

To ascertain power reserve, the watch must be fully wound at the time you take it off and set it aside. This is a requirement.

I assume the watch is functioning correctly whilst on your wrist, so for all intents and purposes it's functioning correctly.
There are so many variables and no two scenarios are the same as far as wearing habits go. So the manual could concievably be 12 mm thick and potentially not cover every possible scenario.
Perhaps you could return the watch and ask for your money back because of the inadequate nature of the manual?
Alternately you may consider a quartz watch to better suit your needs?

Enjoy
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Hercmax
"TRF" Member

There needs to be a fair amount of wrist movement throughout the day (as in more than just sitting at a desk for 8 hours) to even keep the power reserve at the same level when you put it down at night compared to when you picked it up in the morning. An average day will keep your watch wound and ticking but if you alternate each day then you will find the reserve to whittle away unless you give it a good workout on the active day of wear.

Stating that the watch is only a 30 hour power reserve without winding it fully and then timing it to let it wear down to empty is like complaining about a 200 mile range to empty on your car when you only ever fill up the tank halfway. There may be issues with the rotor not winding the mainspring or slipping if there's a fault but in most cases it's just not enough wrist movement. Rarely is it ever a case of the power reserve being short by so much when fully wound, in fact most people get more than the stated figure.
Hercmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:36 AM   #4
exador
Banned

Just out of interest, are you seeing 70 hours on your BB58?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:35 AM   #5
HIGH TIME
Banned

I couldn't be more pleased or proud to possess and wear my Explorer. It never entered my mind to return it nor would I entertain ever doing so. The 39 mm Rolex Explorer is the perfect watch for me. I can wear it in any environment and on any occasion. It's size is perfect. It appearance is understated almost unnoticed and underestimated. It is everything I need and gives me exactly what I want - a quality every day mechanical time piece. To me it is the classic example of what da Vinci's statement that simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. I did underscore it was reasonable and prudent and thus correct advice to wind my Explorer prior to putting it back on given understandable variables I cited. I also wear a FitBit. Moreover, I average walking 21 to 27 miles a week I'm wearing my Explorer every other day - I don't believe it is unreasonable to expect that is sufficient activity to generate and maintain the expected 48 hour power reserve. My Explorer stopped on two occasions which is why I had the AD test it There is a significant difference between 15 and 48 hour power reserves. I am following my AD's advice and I have been winding my Explorer as he recommended. Perhaps, I was mistaken when I literally interpreted a 48 hour power reserve meant that I could take off my Explorer and put it back on within 24 hours and expect my Explorer to still being running. On those 2 occasions the down time was less than 15 hours. All things considered I couldn't be more pleased with the Rolex I selected and I am adhering to my AD's counsel and winding my prized Explorer.

Last edited by HIGH TIME; 24 May 2019 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 24 May 2019, 11:40 AM   #6
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Interesting. I too have the 214270 and I too am planning to pair it (and rotate) with a BB58 once I can acquire one. Since you've begun regularly winding your Explorer have you experienced better results?
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 11:47 AM   #7
HIGH TIME
Banned

Exador thank you for the question. I had to wait 2 months for my Tudor and I have only had it since April 24th. I have to tell you that I haven't had any issue with my BB 58. I love it as much as I do my 214270 Mark II. One thing I can mention though my AD had an event which I attended and 2 gentlemen wearing APs weren't too impressed with my 58. But who cares? I'm so pleased with my selections and that is all that counts!
Old 24 May 2019, 11:52 AM   #8
HIGH TIME
Banned

Mgsooner:
It has only been 2 days and so far so good. I've only wore my Explorer once. I just looked at it. It is running perfectly. I will be wearing it tomorrow and I "guarantee" I will also be winding it prior to putting it back on my wrist.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:55 AM   #9
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Good to hear, thanks. Once I can get my hands on a 58 I'll have to keep your experience with your Explorer in mind. Also - I wouldn't worry about the snooty AP guys. You have great taste my friend! Two classic, timeless watches.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:11 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Explorer mark ii questionable power reserve

I suggest 40 full crown rotations when winding a stopped Rolex. The 20 rotations may get you by if the power reserve is at 50%.

But when you put it back on after a day of rest, who knows?

It’s just easier to wind it fully when you take it off and when you put it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Hercmax
"TRF" Member

Just an anecdotal observation and crass generalisation but the people I've run into who wore AP royal oaks were not really into watches over a broad spectrum. The royal oak is now the new statement piece and generally taken over the stereotype who wore a black sub date or two tone Datejust.
Hercmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 02:41 PM   #12
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercmax View Post
Just an anecdotal observation and crass generalisation but the people I've run into who wore AP royal oaks were not really into watches over a broad spectrum. The royal oak is now the new statement piece and generally taken over the stereotype who wore a black sub date or two tone Datejust.
How interesting
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
How interesting
Almost a revelation in dubious context. Neef.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote