The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 June 2014, 12:23 AM   #1
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
5053R: Any red flags?

There are several of this model on the internet (known companies), all roughly the same price: 24K or so. I realize I may need to have the one I eventually buy serviced.

I tried one on in local tourneau (they were asking 30K plus for one in only fair condition, no papers) and the wife and I really liked the pre-2007 model better than the new Officer's model.

I included this link and text just for inspection: I may not buy from this company, or at all if there are issues with the model. 35mm.

http://www.europeanwatch.com/19050.html

More about Patek Philippe Reference No. 5053R-001

This is an 18K rose gold Patek Philippe Calatrava 5053R-001. It has a four-body, solid polished, half-hunter case with a hinged case back over a sapphire crystal for viewing the movement. The dial is matte silver with black, painted Breguet numerals and oxidized gold Breguet hands, including a centered sweep second hand. The date aperture window is at 6 o'clock and there is an outer seconds/minutes track. The bezel is rounded and the straight lugs have gold screwed bars. The alligator leather strap has a matching 18K rose gold Officer's tang buckle.

The automatic winding, Patek calibre 315 movement is rhodium-plated with fausses cotes decoration and stamped with the quality mark of the Seal of Geneva. It's made with 18 jewels, a straight-line lever escapement, a shock absorber, and an 18K gold rotor. It has the patented Patek Gyromax balance that adjusts for cold, heat, isochronism, and five positions, and a self-compensating free-sprung flat balance spring. The case, dial, and movement are all signed.

Made in 2006, and now discontinued, this is an elegantly simple Calatrava, very much like the first Calatrava watches introduced in 1932 by the Stern brothers when they purchased Patek Philippe. With just time and date, the distinctive, round Calatrava shape remains timeless and the flagship of the Patek collections.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 01:38 AM   #2
el1125
Banned

never bought from them

but they are a reputable seller from my knowlege.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 02:19 AM   #3
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
The movement was improved upon by Patek, but outside some changes I have not heard of problems with the 315. Search "patek 315 vs 324" for some discussion.
Have you tried one on? Hard to judge by the pictures (and your personal preference being unknown), but at 35mm with a relatively wide bezel, I expect the watch wears on the small side given the current penchant for larger watches.
I'm surprised a 35mm, discontinued Calatrava commands such a high price? I don't have my finger on the pulse of the market, but it seems there are many smaller discontinued Calatrava's available for mid-teen$. The officer model must be an exception.
These are only personal opinions, so regard or ignore as desired!
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 02:48 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Thanks. I appreciate your detailed reply.

First, I have very thin wrists, so the 35mm looks fine. And the wife can wear it, too.

As to price, I think the Officer's Watch (vintage) commands a premium because of the hunter's back, and sapphire observation back once you open the hunter's back. And it is an automatic with some good features. And it looks cool with the arabic numbers.

Anyway, I'm still deciding, and will compare the movements as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
The movement was improved upon by Patek, but outside some changes I have not heard of problems with the 315. Search "patek 315 vs 324" for some discussion.
Have you tried one on? Hard to judge by the pictures (and your personal preference being unknown), but at 35mm with a relatively wide bezel, I expect the watch wears on the small side given the current penchant for larger watches.
I'm surprised a 35mm, discontinued Calatrava commands such a high price? I don't have my finger on the pulse of the market, but it seems there are many smaller discontinued Calatrava's available for mid-teen$. The officer model must be an exception.
These are only personal opinions, so regard or ignore as desired!
Old 5 June 2014, 04:45 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Don't be at all put off by the 315 movement, as it is extremely robust and reliable. The 315 is a slightly slower beat rate than the newer 324 that replaced it, and although that would theoretically result in slight decreased accuracy, it has a longer power reserve.

I'm not aware of any consistent problems with the 315, though there have been some complaints about the 324 reliabilty. In reality both are fine movements but forums tend to attract more complaints than compliments regarding movements. Nature of the beast I suppose.

Very nice officer's case, and personally I think the size is terrific. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Also I would say that the source you referenced has been very reputable in my limited experience, I've only heard good things.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 04:59 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Don't be at all put off by the 315 movement, as it is extremely robust and reliable. The 315 is a slightly slower beat rate than the newer 324 that replaced it, and although that would theoretically result in slight decreased accuracy, it has a longer power reserve.

I'm not aware of any consistent problems with the 315, though there have been some complaints about the 324 reliabilty. In reality both are fine movements but forums tend to attract more complaints than compliments regarding movements. Nature of the beast I suppose.

Very nice officer's case, and personally I think the size is terrific. Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Also I would say that the source you referenced has been very reputable in my limited experience, I've only heard good things.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:47 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Great choice, I really like the Breguet numerals, altho it is still strange to me to say that on a Patek.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 05:55 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Thanks. although I have not decided yet. Going back and forth between the 5053 and another rolex (SS or YG Daytona or YG and Blue Sub). This site really causes my money to burn a hole in my pocket. My wife likes the Patek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Great choice, I really like the Breguet numerals, altho it is still strange to me to say that on a Patek.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:59 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Thanks. although I have not decided yet. Going back and forth between the 5053 and another rolex (SS or YG Daytona or YG and Blue Sub). This site really causes my money to burn a hole in my pocket. My wife likes the Patek.
I would actually take the Blue YG sub of all of these.
Old 5 June 2014, 06:37 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

My only reservation with the YG Sub, which is my personal favorite, is that I already have the Hulk. Are they different enough?

I sold my other watches (Cartiers) and am down to the Hulk. So I want one I can rotate with the Hulk. I am retired and don't dress up often. But that Patek is seductive...

Quote:
I would actually take the Blue YG sub of all of these.
Old 5 June 2014, 07:28 AM   #11
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
oooh tough call. I love Rolex but Patek is much nicer. When I didn't have a watch I could dress up, I really really missed it. So I would still lean Patek. Dressing up a sporty Rolex is like trying to wear fancy sneakers with a suit. You could do it, but...
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 09:15 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
My only reservation with the YG Sub, which is my personal favorite, is that I already have the Hulk. Are they different enough?
Definitely, I am planning on buying the black YG subc and will probably add a TT sunburst Bluesy as well, maybe a GMTc TT would be most people's choice for the TT but I am a sub man and the colour/metal difference on the bracelet, case, bezel, dial and dial print make the watches very different.
Old 5 June 2014, 10:56 AM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Really appreciate your input. Very helpful. Thanks.

Quote:
Definitely, I am planning on buying the black YG subc and will probably add a TT sunburst Bluesy as well, maybe a GMTc TT would be most people's choice for the TT but I am a sub man and the colour/metal difference on the bracelet, case, bezel, dial and dial print make the watches very different.
Old 5 June 2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Soleless Shoes
"TRF" Member

I really like the Patek.
Soleless Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reference 5053r