The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2014, 04:06 PM   #61
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

What a beautiful dilemma you find yourself in!

As much as I try to like the 5170, I can't fall in love with it.

However the superb Daytograph, especially the newer version is just stunning. I would love to own one of those.

So, with that said, I would choose either the 5970G or the 5270.

I always thought that I would choose a 5970P over the other metals, that was until I saw how more difficult it was to see the time.

In fact an owner that I met also told me the same thing.

Perhaps it is for owners with younger eyes! LOL
Old 22 June 2014, 04:38 PM   #62
keenufan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona & Pateks
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
What a beautiful dilemma you find yourself in!

As much as I try to like the 5170, I can't fall in love with it.

However the superb Daytograph, especially the newer version is just stunning. I would love to own one of those.

So, with that said, I would choose either the 5970G or the 5270.

I always thought that I would choose a 5970P over the other metals, that was until I saw how more difficult it was to see the time.

In fact an owner that I met also told me the same thing.

Perhaps it is for owners with younger eyes! LOL
Thanks Tony. Just feel that 5970G white dial is a bit versatile than black dial.
keenufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2014, 10:52 PM   #63
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
No. The J will never top the Plat in price. Not now, not ever. The Plat is prob the most desirable watch in the most desirable metal. Followed by G and R. Check market prices and auction results. Are you perhaps selling a J?
Perpetual man is one of the smartest watch guys around. I am not saying it will or won't but I will tell you that Philippe and Theirry think it J will be the one of them all in 20 years. They made less than 100 (Thierry said probably 80 is the estimate) vs 400 plus of the P. It is the only 5970 that Thierry and Phillipe personally own. Time and condition are small production runs greatest assets.
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2014, 09:12 AM   #64
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
No. The J will never top the Plat in price. Not now, not ever. The Plat is prob the most desirable watch in the most desirable metal. Followed by G and R. Check market prices and auction results. Are you perhaps selling a J?
Well as is the case with me I am sure you do not have a crystal ball either
The fact is the J can be had for a great deal compared to the P which I already think is reaching close to its peak price. The J has lower production numbers which the average collector would not know. The fact is Platinum has often been the lowest produced metal of each series of watches making it command the highest prices on the second hand and retail markets. But in this case I think once the word gets out and collectors really start looking at numbers the J will look much more attractive in the future. As I said before and I will say it again. If I were looking at the 5970 reference and looking for an investment piece it would be the J
Also to answer your condescending questions No I am not selling a 5970J

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopiccoog View Post
Perpetual man is one of the smartest watch guys around. I am not saying it will or won't but I will tell you that Philippe and Theirry think it J will be the one of them all in 20 years. They made less than 100 (Thierry said probably 80 is the estimate) vs 400 plus of the P. It is the only 5970 that Thierry and Phillipe personally own. Time and condition are small production runs greatest assets.
Thanks Clark. You are very astute yourself !
Of course my thoughts are speculation but I think as we have seen in the past that low prodction run time and low production leads to higher prices. Only a matter of time IMO
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2014, 10:46 AM   #65
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
the 5970 is obviously a fantastic watch last of the lemania but......
if I was going to buy a watch in this family it would have to be J as it is the rarest and if I were you and looking to spend that kind of cash I would want the most collectable and I see the J as toping the plat one day in price and desirability just because there were less made than any other metal.

In this case I would go 5170G+plat but if you switched to a 5970J then hands down it would be my pick :)

Also the 5960P with the black dial is tops for the 5960 family.

Make sure you buy into the 5170 and plat at the right price or you will get burned in the rump on the resale
Again, The J will never top the P in price. That statement sounds quite absurd. Let me know when this happens and I will tip my hat to you. This is not a new reference. Price is and has been dictated by supply and demand AND desirability. I love this reference, I own 2 of them, but the statement you made IMO is totally inaccurate.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote