The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 09:25 PM   #31
crownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregShakeshaft View Post
Shameful behavior. I would question whether it is legal. It's like Toyota forcing all car owners to get servicing and repairs done through their dealerships or Samsung making you take your phone back to them every time. This is when the law needs to step in and protect the consumer.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I am sure Rolex has gone through the legality of this. Unfortunately, I am a Rolex Fanboy.
crownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:43 PM   #32
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Nothing ever happens for no reason.

That is not meant to disrespect the watchmaker that has lost his account, but something has prompted it. We only have one side of the story; second hand.
While you are correct I am delivering this news second hand, I do not think anything on the watchmaker’s side prompted it. I didn’t want to post their name openly but I think if I did you would agree this is all on Rolex’s end.
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:47 PM   #33
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
While you are correct I am delivering this news second hand, I do not think anything on the watchmaker’s side prompted it. I didn’t want to post their name openly but I think if I did you would agree this is all on Rolex’s end.
Why can’t you post the watchmakers name so the forum knows? If this is Rolex induced and will continue to happen. It’s good for the membership to know who still has an account and who does not.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:52 PM   #34
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

The other thing I find strange in this is that the whole point of a watch like a Rolex is the appeal that, if well cared-for, it can outlast its owner, be passed down, etc. Especially the more modern references from the 80s on. If Rolex really is going to focus on the 6 digit models moving forward and we see the option for older watches to be serviced diminish, it seems to me to go against everything Rolex (at least used to) stands for. That’s my take anyways. It’s a shame if a nice Sub or DJ bought in the 90s becomes prohibitively expensive to service, or if it just becomes no longer possible. I bought my 16014 as a birth year watch, and now it feels like a foolish move.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:54 PM   #35
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
Why can’t you post the watchmakers name so the forum knows? If this is Rolex induced and will continue to happen. It’s good for the membership to know who still has an account and who does not.
I’m fairly new here so I wanted to be sure it was kosher to do so. He shared this with me openly and did not instruct me not to share it, so I suppose you’re right.

The watchmaker is Rik Deitel.
Old 23 May 2019, 09:59 PM   #36
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Personally, it sounds like a conspiracy theory crafted of scattered small facts that have been projected into a vast strategy. A strategy that makes little sense.

If all Rolex service needs were suddenly funneled to RSC’s, they would be swamped and lead times would soar from several weeks to several years.

Thus far, Rolex has never displayed such stupidity - that alone debunks the story methinks.

In the long run, Rolex may simply decline to renew contracts for parts with watchmakers outside the AD channel. Something like Nikos said.

This could enhance the servicing revenue stream to ADs who have watchmakers who may be complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:01 PM   #37
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Personally, it sounds like a conspiracy theory crafted of scattered small facts that have been projected into a vast strategy. A strategy that makes little sense.

If all Rolex service needs were suddenly funneled to RSC’s, they would be swamped and lead times would soar from several weeks to several years.

Thus far, Rolex has never displayed such stupidity - that alone debunks the story methinks.

In the long run, Rolex may simply decline to renew contracts for parts with watchmakers outside the AD channel. Something like Nikos said.

This could enhance the servicing revenue stream to ADs who have watchmakers who may be complaining.

This certainly makes sense. From what I understand a watchmaker at an AD makes considerably less money than an independent.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:01 PM   #38
77T

Rolex pulling most indy parts accounts

Quote:
I’m fairly new here so I wanted to be sure it was kosher to do so. He shared this with me openly and did not instruct me not to share it, so I suppose you’re right.

The watchmaker is Rik Deitel.

True, Rikki lost his parts account a while ago.

Old 23 May 2019, 10:06 PM   #39
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, Rikki lost his parts account a while ago.

He told me it just happened (in the past couple of weeks) and they were letting him make a final order.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:08 PM   #40
77T

Quote:
He told me it just happened (in the past couple of weeks) and they were letting him make a final order.
ok - I would defer to his statement about the timing then. But would not rely upon any sweeping statements about Rolex long-term strategy.

Old 23 May 2019, 10:09 PM   #41
77T

Dupe

Old 23 May 2019, 10:10 PM   #42
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ok - I would defer to his statement then.

Gotcha. He did say he expected it was coming down the pike because it’s been happening to lots of watchmakers.
Old 23 May 2019, 10:23 PM   #43
wigdog63
"TRF" Member

Watch: me prevaricate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
UK is a different thing than mainland EU.
Isn't it just...
wigdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:27 PM   #44
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Well I guess the cats out of the bag yes there’s been a fundamental paradigm shift at Rolex and most Swiss watch companies about how they retail and repair their products. This is a decision made by Geneva about the direction Rolex will go for the next 10 to 20 years and most likely the industry as a whole. I had a great run with the crown the last review I got was exemplary so this has nothing to do with the quality of your work. My door hasn’t been completely shut and I have thousands of parts and acquiring more all the time so for now no worries life goes on and I thank you all for your support over the years it’s been a true pleasure. I’m still here you all have a great day.
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:29 PM   #45
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

If this is 100% true, and.........
Given that Chinese 'homages' are, allegedly SO difficult to differentiate from the genuine article (even by "experts").
Could there be a danger of another supply 'route' for parts developing?

......just a thought.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:32 PM   #46
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
When there’s a vacuum and money to be made someone will fill it imo
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:33 PM   #47
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Vintage market could crash if the options are Rolex trash your watch vintage piece with new parts or not get it fixed at all
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:36 PM   #48
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
This will have next to zero impact on me and the average Rolex purchaser.
Such empathy is admirable.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #49
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
if the supply/demand situation remains as it is now they can arguably do whatever they want and people will still buy them.

I am conflicted on this, I get what they are trying to do in own the experience and that when you leave things up to independents the quality can vary, especially if those folks don't have the proper tools, and they aren't the only ones to do this as I remember Omega doing much the same as well as others.

But on the other hand there are supposedly some really good independents out there who do things Rolex service won't...so I would hate to see access to them go away.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:46 PM   #50
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
This will have next to zero impact on me and the average Rolex purchaser.
Ahhh........the 2019, Rolex buyer perspective.
Watches flipped and stored in safes, probably don't need too much servicing.

Selfish stick, anyone?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:11 PM   #51
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
I know off some in the UK
Same here, although the example I am aware of relates to a friend and former Rolex AD whose dealership was pulled by Rolex with no warning a few years back at the commencement of the 'cull'. He still has a Rolex trained technician on his staff and can thus still service Rolex, though it is the technician who can get the Rolex parts as opposed to his employer! Based upon what the OP states however, this might now be a risk. The potential for legal redress has also been mentioned earlier in this thread, though is that ever likely to go anywhere? Rolex is a giant and who is likely to ever take them on? I really hope that they do not go down the road of making life harder for everyone though given where we are now, this would not come as any surprise...the Rolex world has possibly changed forever and what a pity!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:12 PM   #52
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
If this is 100% true, and.........
Given that Chinese 'homages' are, allegedly SO difficult to differentiate from the genuine article (even by "experts").
Could there be a danger of another supply 'route' for parts developing?

......just a thought.
I agree. I dont how how many vintage watches are being faked but it doesn't seem impossible that parts can be made elsewhere. These are mechanical parts, not magic.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:16 PM   #53
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Well I guess the cats out of the bag yes there’s been a fundamental paradigm shift at Rolex and most Swiss watch companies about how they retail and repair their products. This is a decision made by Geneva about the direction Rolex will go for the next 10 to 20 years and most likely the industry as a whole. I had a great run with the crown the last review I got was exemplary so this has nothing to do with the quality of your work. My door hasn’t been completely shut and I have thousands of parts and acquiring more all the time so for now no worries life goes on and I thank you all for your support over the years it’s been a true pleasure. I’m still here you all have a great day.

True enough - several have had their contracts “not renewed” and it had nothing to do with quality of work.

I think only 1 or 2 still have their contracts here in ATL area. I will check my best one later today to see if he has been told anything.

Old 23 May 2019, 11:20 PM   #54
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
This is a good video to watch https://youtu.be/GaJvmQtoVjs I watched it years ago when they took all the parts account in Australia

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:50 PM   #55
g_luck
"TRF" Member

I can't stand the idea that Rolex is killing off independent watch makers and service centers. With that said, if Rolex stops servicing their vintage pieces, it will "eventually" kill their demand. Let's face it, part of their appeal is that they are well made serviceable timepieces that can and do last generations.

Part of the reason current models are going for crazy prices is the social media posts of vintage pieces that are climbing in value.

Watch the video of the Antique Road Show Veteran who was flabbergasted that his GMT Master was worth over 60K. Now pretend that it's useless (instead of 60K) because he can't service it.

Again, I hate the idea of Rolex doing this to Independents and I have to wonder if the Grey's aren't part of the problem. I know a couple of independent service people that are flippers as well. Most aren't, but some are. Rolex probably hates that.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:02 AM   #56
kohe321
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
This is a good video to watch https://youtu.be/GaJvmQtoVjs I watched it years ago when they took all the parts account in Australia
Excellent video that highlights the indispensable value of independent watchmakers in the hobby. Even if the video is from 2012, it's more relevant now than ever.
Old 24 May 2019, 12:20 AM   #57
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Respect.

Sad to see this... I guess the shift to a pure “luxury brand” platform is becoming more apparent each day.

I hope that some of these soon to be retiring independents will get a nice windfall if they sell out their spare parts inventory. Might be a nice silver lining.
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:26 AM   #58
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Another great example of Rolex customer first policies. Just had my wife’s DJ serviced by Rikki and he did a great job. The thought of only having the option to send it to RSC for service doesn’t sit well. Not much of a fan of Rolex lately. This hobby used to be a lot more fun.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:28 AM   #59
iheartrolexx
Banned

it's happening
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 12:31 AM   #60
crownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Rolex needs to be very careful, especially in the United States and Europe. Antitrust laws look dangerously looming with this type of behavior.
This is Rolex you are talking about and they do not care about some Anti-Trust Laws.
crownprince is offline   Reply With Quote