The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2019, 01:13 AM   #1
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Cigar Humidor - Advice?

Fathers day is around the corner!

I always like to give my father cigars that are given to me by friends & clients as he appreciates them more than me. I also get him a box every so often. I enjoy them but I know he appreciates them more.

He currently has two places and I would like to get him a Humidor for one. It doesn't have to be able to hold more than 25-50 cigars. I also don't want to spend a ton as I want to see if he actually keeps the thing at optimal operating levels etc. before getting the "grail humidor" lol

So i'm deferring to the TRF folk who can help. Any and all suggestions are appreciated in advance!
Old 24 May 2019, 01:43 AM   #2
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
3 thoughts
1 - wine coolers / active ones work well
2 - cheap ones are available and work
3 - really nice ones are out there too and you may be able to pick one up second hand.

I got my bro an S.T. Dupont table lighter. Really nice but I'm not sure he ever uses it lol.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:02 AM   #3
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I can recommend Orleans Group Humidors as I have 3.

Great price
Good looking wood options
Very good seal which is the point of humidor.

Best Cigar Prices has them...well at the best price.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Sundaydriver
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Seamaster, GMT II
If you want to go cheap, try Holt's cigars. They have pretty solid humidors.

If you want the 'grail', go with Elie Bleu.

My .02

Good luck

Sundaydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:12 AM   #5
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Davidoff or Elie Bleu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 03:28 AM   #6
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
3 thoughts
1 - wine coolers / active ones work well
2 - cheap ones are available and work
3 - really nice ones are out there too and you may be able to pick one up second hand.

I got my bro an S.T. Dupont table lighter. Really nice but I'm not sure he ever uses it lol.
I have a large wine cooler set to 54, I suggested he can use that as he comes by my house often. Does everyone who answered agree with the wine cooler working & also not having to have him care for anything?
Old 24 May 2019, 05:38 AM   #7
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
I have a large wine cooler set to 54, I suggested he can use that as he comes by my house often. Does everyone who answered agree with the wine cooler working & also not having to have him care for anything?
It depends on what your goal is for storage. If for long term storage that promotes good cigar aging then using a separate humidor kept around 70 degrees & 70% RH will give you the best results. You can keep them in your wine cooler for short term storage (less than 2 months) as long as you keep the RH between 68 & 72. The colder temp will slowly dry out the natural oils in the tobacco. Not good for aging.

If you want to go cheap buy a Tupperware container and throw in a couple or Boveda packs until they start to crystalize. Then replace them. Works fine. Just keep in out of the sun.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:46 AM   #8
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
It depends on what your goal is for storage. If for long term storage that promotes good cigar aging then using a separate humidor kept around 70 degrees & 70% RH will give you the best results. You can keep them in your wine cooler for short term storage (less than 2 months) as long as you keep the RH between 68 & 72. The colder temp will slowly dry out the natural oils in the tobacco. Not good for aging.

If you want to go cheap buy a Tupperware container and throw in a couple or Boveda packs until they start to crystalize. Then replace them. Works fine. Just keep in out of the sun.
The goal is if I get him a box of 25 he doesn't have to smoke 1 a day of the same cigar because they will go bad if he doesn't. So 1-3 months max.

Whats RH? The only setting I have on my wine cooler is temperature, I think.
Old 24 May 2019, 05:50 AM   #9
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Relative humidity.

They like it moist.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 05:53 AM   #10
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

Humidor with Boveda packs is about as maintenance free as possible without leaving them at the store.

The cheapest option is store in closet or under in Tupperware or even a large plastic bag with Boveda packs...no RH fluctuation using those.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 06:01 AM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Davidoff or Elie Bleu.

This. Although I prefer Elie Bleu, have two and love them like the art that they are. Excellent humidification as well. Only need to hydrate every two or three months.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 06:08 AM   #12
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
This. Although I prefer Elie Bleu, have two and love them like the art that they are. Excellent humidification as well. Only need to hydrate every two or three months.

I also prefer the beauty of an Elie Bleu. Davidoff has excellent humidification and usually less expensive than Elie Bleu. Both are lifetime purchases.

swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 07:31 AM   #13
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:

I always like to give my father cigars that are given to me by friends & clients as he appreciates them more than me. I also get him a box every so often. I enjoy them but I know he appreciates them more.

He currently has two places and I would like to get him a Humidor for one. It doesn't have to be able to hold more than 25-50 cigars. I also don't want to spend a ton as I want to see if he actually keeps the thing at optimal operating levels etc. before getting the "grail humidor" lol

So i'm deferring to the TRF folk who can help. Any and all suggestions are appreciated in advance!
Check out the humidors at Cigarsinternational.com Plenty to peruse there!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 08:21 AM   #14
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I also prefer the beauty of an Elie Bleu. Davidoff has excellent humidification and usually less expensive than Elie Bleu. Both are lifetime purchases.
I love Elie Bleu, mine is sort of wasted now though, I stopped smoking anything about 10 years ago, my humidor just holds important papers.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 04:58 AM   #15
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I love Elie Bleu, mine is sort of wasted now though, I stopped smoking anything about 10 years ago, my humidor just holds important papers.

Beautiful
Old 25 May 2019, 05:34 AM   #16
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Beautiful
Thank you very much, really appreciated.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 09:11 AM   #17
56scooter
"TRF" Member

Check out Daniel Marshall Humidors, extremely nice and they won't break the bank!
https://danielmarshall.com/daniel-marshall-humidors/
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Too bad Bob Stabille and Ariatocrat is no longer producing them.
Best on the planet.
Love mine.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:54 PM   #19
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Too bad Bob Stabille and Ariatocrat is no longer producing them.
Best on the planet.
Love mine.
Let's see it! They are nice. Plenty of disappointed folks when he decided to retire.
Old 25 May 2019, 01:49 PM   #20
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
Check out cuban crafters. Their factory is a 10-15 min drive from my place. They literally have everything you can imagine from cutters to lighters and humidors. They make a pretty solid product with great bang for the buck. They stand behind their stuff 100%.

My main humidor is from Cuban crafters and seals great. I’ve only seasoned it once, when I bought it about 6-7 years ago.

Some advice given to me by industry folks:

Best pricing on cigars bar none is Neptune Cigars. Period.

Cuban crafters makes a great cutter they call “the perfect cutter.” It’s designed to keep you from clipping too much off the cigar.

As far as lighters, the nice stuff is just that...nice. Nice lighters get lost just like cheap ones. The cheap ones just don’t hurt as much . In all seriousness I have 3-4 “good” lighters st dupont included which I never use for fear I will lose them. The one I take everywhere is a small xikar single flame torch. Fits comfortably in your jeans pocket without it feeling like you have all this extra bulk in there. Also has a lifetime warranty.

Cases: again, they just “look nice.” I don’t carry one. I bring 2-3 sticks with me in a zip lock bag with my cutter and xikar lighter in my pocket. When done, bag goes in the trash and tools go in the pocket.

Just my personal way of doing it, some will say it lacks style, but it works for me. Simple and effective.

Good luck!

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
djhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 10:08 PM   #21
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Let's see it! They are nice. Plenty of disappointed folks when he decided to retire.
Use to be full until last year or so. Since then, my dad and our daily one or two prevent me from restocking it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3EE89879-82FE-437D-8454-F4139C253549.jpeg (47.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 26 May 2019, 10:48 AM   #22
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I picked this one up from Bob about 10 years ago. Absolutely fantastic. I didn't know he retired. Was just on the web page looking at his products. Too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg humidor.jpg (135.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg humidor 2.jpg (152.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg humidor 3.jpg (133.0 KB, 176 views)

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 11:32 AM   #23
thedak
"TRF" Member

One of Mine

thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 08:00 PM   #24
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
For me, as long as it’s lined with Spanish Cedar any humidor will do the trick, the outside is just for decoration.

Maybe get him an electronic Cigar Oasis also, it’s maintenance free and will ensure the cigars and humidor are kept at optimal levels.
Old 28 May 2019, 11:32 PM   #25
StevenJ
"TRF" Member

You should think about humidor size (more than for 50 cigars) because small humidors don't have enough quality as you want ;) And it is a gift... I recommend to find cigar cooler humidor for NewAir CC100H or Whynter CHS 120S. Yes, it is not cheap but can be great gift for your father.

Good luck!
StevenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 01:55 PM   #26
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love my Prometheus even more than my Dunhill.
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 04:32 PM   #27
StevenJ
"TRF" Member

[QOUTE]I love my Prometheus even more than my Dunhill.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference? I adore Dunhill and wanna try something new.
StevenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:06 PM   #28
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
One of Mine

How do you regulate humidity in your setup & do you care as much about temperature, if so how do you regulate?

I’m not 100% yet but I think I’m looking for a $50-$100 well sealed Spanish cedar lined box(40-50 capacity). The preference is a box that comes with nothing attached. I think buying 1/2 boveda wood slip holders & a accurate hydrometer would be a good start for him.

Let me know your thoughts and now with those more specific details, if you have some more recommendations.

Thank you everyone who has already chimed in btw!
Old 30 May 2019, 06:47 AM   #29
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
How do you regulate humidity in your setup & do you care as much about temperature, if so how do you regulate?

I’m not 100% yet but I think I’m looking for a $50-$100 well sealed Spanish cedar lined box(40-50 capacity). The preference is a box that comes with nothing attached. I think buying 1/2 boveda wood slip holders & a accurate hydrometer would be a good start for him.

Let me know your thoughts and now with those more specific details, if you have some more recommendations.

Thank you everyone who has already chimed in btw!
Bovedas are all you need for a 50 ct. box. And they can be recharged when they start to dry up. Use them over instead of buying new ones. Best to freeze all cigars to prevent beetle outbreaks. Then, temperature control is not as critical.
Old 30 May 2019, 10:42 PM   #30
zsidddique
"TRF" Member

I found the cedar ones to never seal right and required me to keep an eye on it all the time. As someone who smokes occasionally, I found it a PITA. Based on the advice of r/cigar I switch to tupperdor and I am super happy. Get a quality tupperwear, some cedar cigar holders or blocks, Bovedas and done. Little maintenance and the damn thing wont suddenly lose humidity. Does not look sexy but TBH after losing a few hundred dollars of cigars, I will take function over looks.
zsidddique is offline   Reply With Quote