The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 June 2018, 09:37 PM   #91
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I can’t help but agree. I get the fact that the OP has purchased a lot of watches from the AD and I’m sure it’s very disappointing to be told basically that he isn’t getting the watch. That stinks. It’s no fun.

I’m also quite sure that the AD takes no pleasure in delivering that news. Especially to a customer who has a purchase history. But the reality is there are limited quantities to give out and the AD has to make some tough choices. It’s reasonable to assume that there are bigger spenders and it’s reasonable to understand why the AD would allocate the watches to those people.

Still, the last thing I’d do is out the AD publicly for something that they have very little control over. Don’t you think they would want to sell a Pepsi to every single person who wants one? Of course they do.

There’s been much debate about the value of an Ad “relationship”. Many folks feel that they shouldn’t have to build a relationship... or that money talks... but I can say first hand, having many friends who have received hard to get watches without being the number one spender, that it’s often more than just your spending power that gets you a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very well put
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 11:15 PM   #92
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
I think op has every right to complane about an AD, as much as brag and tell about the AD that got him a ‘hard to get’ watch on the forum.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 11:40 PM   #93
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Funny how things change. When I first joined here, it was all about the trusted sellers. I kept reading why go to an AD when you can buy it right here for even cheaper. Now it seems you need to be an AD's best buddy to have a shot at anything. And now many folks are just calling the TS and resellers greedy scalpers.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 11:45 PM   #94
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Threads like this make me miss the “is it ok for me wear my sub to the beach” or “can i get a discount on the GMT”. I detest when people get on her and CRY when they weren’t treated like royalty when they go in an AD. They want to get on here and attempt to damage the AD’s business. If you dont like what happened there, then MAN UP and go talk to the Mgr or owner and respectfully have a civilized discussion. Being a business owner, that would go a long way with me. Coming on a forum and whining like a spoiled brat who dropped his ice cream cone would certainly not go very far with most business owners either. This type of attitude is probably why they showed no interest if that is in fact what really happened....
Yep! That about sums it up.

Personally, I know my place at ADs. I have small history with several. Do I want the “hot” watches? Yes, of course. But when I reach out, I respectfully say,

“I know There are lots of clients that should take priority over me based on my history, but you have my number, if there’s ever a window that opens or a chance to get something great please let me know. Otherwise when my time comes just let me know and I’ll be over right away to collect.”

Plain and simple. I’m not in this to make hard working sales reps feel bad about a situation completely out of their control, and I’m certainly not in it to go on the internet to try to flame an AD. An AD btw that I am a customer of, and can attest with 100% confidence that they are among the very best in the business!

I work with Rick at Lee Perla. Rick is not only just a kind person, but also practices the highest level of professionalism. He’s also incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about watches. Don’t hesitate for a second to work with Lee Perla people!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 11:57 PM   #95
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
Funny how things change. When I first joined here, it was all about the trusted sellers. I kept reading why go to an AD when you can buy it right here for even cheaper. Now it seems you need to be an AD's best buddy to have a shot at anything. And now many folks are just calling the TS and resellers greedy scalpers.
Seriously - Human nature though - People are only worth something when they're being useful. Otherwise, they're the enemy.

AD , Grey - To me it has always been about more than just buying a watch. I've had to sell my watches, I've had to trade my watches. Sometimes I'm just in the mood to window shop and have some delicious espresso.

I can't have the freedom to do all of those things if I bad mouth or talk smack about a vendor simply because I can't walk in and grab a Hulk the way I used to.

Watches will become available again and when they do, I want to be able to call my AD and the TS and ask away without being a hypocrite.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 26 June 2018, 12:05 AM   #96
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post

Still, the last thing I’d do is out the AD publicly for something that they have very little control over.

There’s been much debate about the value of an Ad “relationship”. Many folks feel that they shouldn’t have to build a relationship... or that money talks... but I can say first hand, having many friends who have received hard to get watches without being the number one spender, that it’s often more than just your spending power that gets you a watch.

I VERY much disagree with the first part. ADs receive watches from Rolex and allocate them however they want. That is a fact. If the AD wants to give you a watch they can. If they want to give you the 7 year wait, well that’s their decision as well.

The second part of your statement is true. Relationships are not only founded on prior spending. There are many other factors that play into building a relationship. Spending helps though :-)

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 12:11 AM   #97
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Good for you OP for posting and sticking to your guns.
No matter how nice an AD has been to some members, etc OP has the right to post his experience. AD should have had more tact and at least BS’d it and said they would talk to Manager, etc.
The bottom line with AD’s these days is they will reward the biggest latest fish PERIOD end of story. You can have a great relationship and it helps, has helped me many times but in the end if it comes down to me and someone who wants to buy a big diamond but demands the Daytona also I lose!
An example. One of the AD’s I deal with locally lost their watch Manager to an out of state dealer. I had a great relationship with him and was first on the list for the Daytona C. He told me a few months after Basel that after the owner took care of two million dollar clients I would b taken care of. This is all over email. Well fast forward a year and my guy is gone and still not call. After getting nothing from the store I talked to their COO. Shared the emails with him. Told me period point blank that it didn’t matter what I was promised even via email that it didn’t go by place in line but who was the “latest” person to spend the most money. Even after negative reviews still didn’t care. So the point is they are using these Rolex pieces as tools to force other sales .
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 01:35 AM   #98
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Good for you OP for posting and sticking to your guns.
No matter how nice an AD has been to some members, etc OP has the right to post his experience. AD should have had more tact and at least BS’d it and said they would talk to Manager, etc.
The bottom line with AD’s these days is they will reward the biggest latest fish PERIOD end of story. You can have a great relationship and it helps, has helped me many times but in the end if it comes down to me and someone who wants to buy a big diamond but demands the Daytona also I lose!
An example. One of the AD’s I deal with locally lost their watch Manager to an out of state dealer. I had a great relationship with him and was first on the list for the Daytona C. He told me a few months after Basel that after the owner took care of two million dollar clients I would b taken care of. This is all over email. Well fast forward a year and my guy is gone and still not call. After getting nothing from the store I talked to their COO. Shared the emails with him. Told me period point blank that it didn’t matter what I was promised even via email that it didn’t go by place in line but who was the “latest” person to spend the most money. Even after negative reviews still didn’t care. So the point is they are using these Rolex pieces as tools to force other sales .
I disagree with a couple points here.

First, anytime a sales person is using BS as a tactic, I'm not on board. I'd much rather harsh honesty 100% of the time.

Second, your AD may have used this policy of 'reward the latest big spender', but that's certainly not how they all operate. I'm not saying your experience wasn't true in anyway, just saying that generalization is not true.

I don't think it's that far fetched, but if I had to guess, I think most ADs use a combination of rewarding high rollers that are also a pleasure to work with. That means a number of things; you are respectful, appreciative and nice to work with. You offer referrals and either plant the seed or contribute to a growing network tree of business.
Old 26 June 2018, 03:21 AM   #99
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Sometimes..it just comes down to..if they like you..or ..not..
In another industry..a guy I knew who owned the company..the more famous and rich you were..the more he tried to screw you over..or make your life hell.
And the little guy..sometimes..got the good deal..
But then again..the little guy got reamed as well on enough occasions..lol..
No logic to it at all..
Basically..whatever mood he was in that moment..was the outcome of the deal..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 03:29 AM   #100
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

H*ll will freeze over before I buy my AD chocolates. This goes for the guy who sells me my house, car, and clothes. Yeah, we're "friendly" and cordial but it's a professional relationship. If they want to offer me a hard-to-get item, great. If not, not. They aren't my close buddies and they aren't my family. Would rather pay David $$$ to avoid this. Same reason to buy a car with Cartelligent. Is it to save money? Nope. It's to avoid dealing with car salesmen. For you guys who are buddy-buddy with your ADs and get what you want, hey more power to you. Not for me.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 03:53 AM   #101
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Lee Perla in NJ is a solid reputable AD. If they have the watch in stock, they will sell it to you. They are in the business to sell watches and not play games. Nobody at Lee Perla treated the OP terribly. The truth is they just do not have what he wants in stock. Plain and simple. Period. End of story.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 04:11 AM   #102
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Why is there such an aversion to buying an AD a box of chocolates (or a broker who helped someone buy a house)? I bought a box of chocolates for the escrow team that helped me when I closed on my house. They were incredibly helpful, professional, responsive, and polite the whole way through. I also bought my AD a bottle of scotch because he went out of his way to help me, my friends, and more importantly, because he himself has become a friend. Sure, it’s a business relationship, too, but exchanging small tokens of appreciation goes a long way. This concept of never even considering it blows me away. Why bother tipping a waiter/waitress, then? (Tongue in cheek, obviously....).
Old 26 June 2018, 04:16 AM   #103
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Why is there such an aversion to buying an AD a box of chocolates (or a broker who helped someone buy a house)? I bought a box of chocolates for the escrow team that helped me when I closed on my house. They were incredibly helpful, professional, responsive, and polite the whole way through. I also bought my AD a bottle of scotch because he went out of his way to help me, my friends, and more importantly, because he himself has become a friend. Sure, it’s a business relationship, too, but exchanging small tokens of appreciation goes a long way. This concept of never even considering it blows me away. Why bother tipping a waiter/waitress, then? (Tongue in cheek, obviously....).
I agree with you. But I think a nice tip for services rendered, or a gift to an actual friend, is completely different than a tip in expectation of return. Just in my humble opinion.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 04:34 AM   #104
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
I agree with you. But I think a nice tip for services rendered, or a gift to an actual friend, is completely different than a tip in expectation of return. Just in my humble opinion.
Buying them a box of chocolates at Christmas time is doing something with an expectation of return?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 04:42 AM   #105
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I can see both sides of the coin here. It's understandable that an AD is going to offer exclusive pieces to its "best" clients (however one defines that). I do think it is a sad state of affairs that after buying six watches from an AD that it might not really count for much. I think it's shame that there is any kind of barrier to purchasing what remain to be mass produced luxury items.

I have a weak relationship with my local AD. I have purchased a 116610LV from them in the past. They have told me that that is all it takes is one purchase to request being placed on a waitlist; though I wouldn't be surprised if I waited some time before being offered something. Those criteria may have changed in light of the last six months. It has been awhile since I have browsed.

For me, I can't see paying well above MSRP for a piece that can be theoretically be had at MSRP. I also can't see waiting years to get what is essentially a mass produced item. I do not take issue with anyone who feels differently. I have a pretty basic but well rounded stainless steel Rolex collection. I just feel for the newcomer to the brand who would really like to start their collection with a Submariner or GMT-Master II.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 04:45 AM   #106
jvd99
"TRF" Member

Is the thread about chocolates now? I like chocolate but won't pay over msrp
jvd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 04:48 AM   #107
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Buying them a box of chocolates at Christmas time is doing something with an expectation of return?
haha yeah obviously Seth!

I'm headed to costco right now to pick up chocolates for several ADs. I'll have more Daytonas and BLROs than I know what to do with by the end of the month.
Old 26 June 2018, 04:52 AM   #108
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I just feel for the newcomer to the brand who would really like to start their collection with a Submariner or GMT-Master II.
I kinda see it as the opposite for the newcomer. Most of us have at least our first, a lot have their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., and some from other brands as well. At this point, everyone in the aforementioned boat is battling for 3-5 different models.

The newcomer on the other hand gets to go in, start a relationship, and can put themselves down for a 2nd that maybe they'll receive in 12 months after the honeymoon with the first is over.

If anyone wants a Sub or GMT, they're not hard to get, month or two tops here in the states. Now, different story then a few years back when you could negotiate a discount on a Sub, highly unlikely at this point - you'd prob get laughed out the door for even suggesting it, unless you're a behemoth.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 05:05 AM   #109
envuks

This thread can be summed up as:

OP to AD: hello, remember those 4 SS and 2 PM watches I bought, I need another one. I’d like to purchase the new Pepsi gmt.
AD to OP: sorry sir, it will be a 6-7 year wait and we are not taking names.
OP to AD: I brought you this box of chocolates as a gift.
AD to OP: Right this way sir! Your new Pepsi gmt is waiting for you in our safe out back

Lesson learned!

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 05:11 AM   #110
2024 Pledge Member

If you bring chocolates to your AD and they sell you a BLRO, will bringing them a case of Pepsi get you a CHNR?

If so, I'm headed to the supermarket...
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 05:21 AM   #111
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
I kinda see it as the opposite for the newcomer. Most of us have at least our first, a lot have their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., and some from other brands as well. At this point, everyone in the aforementioned boat is battling for 3-5 different models.

The newcomer on the other hand gets to go in, start a relationship, and can put themselves down for a 2nd that maybe they'll receive in 12 months after the honeymoon with the first is over.

If anyone wants a Sub or GMT, they're not hard to get, month or two tops here in the states. Now, different story then a few years back when you could negotiate a discount on a Sub, highly unlikely at this point - you'd prob get laughed out the door for even suggesting it, unless you're a behemoth.
Again, I haven't been in the AD in some time. I've purchased other brands (Panerai, IWC, Omega) from grey dealers. From what I understand from the posts here, it's taking a lot longer than a month or two to get anything that isn't a Milgauss, Explorer, or Datejust. I was in Maui and Oahu in November and even then, the cases were almost empty with the exception of the stainless steel models mentioned. My local AD only had a stainless Yacht-Master two months ago. That was it. Now I know that says nothing about waitlists; I still think it's kind of lousy one can't go, look at a bunch of models, and walk out with one.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 05:55 AM   #112
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I went to Lee Perla for the first time today to see if they had the Tudor GMT on the bracelet, and Rick was extremely hospitable right from the start. He even brought out the new GMT but only had it on the strap so he said he’d call me when the bracelet version came in. He even brought out the new everose GMT for me to try on and the new DSSD as well. All in all, we spent about half an hour talking watches and real estate and he was also able to help me order a link for my watch. I know where I’ll be getting my future Rolex and Tudors from now.

Old 26 June 2018, 05:58 AM   #113
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I never met Rick or anyone from this AD before but have numerous email exchanges with him and he has been extremely helpful and fast with his responses. I can't say a bad word about Rick from Lee Perla personally.
Old 26 June 2018, 06:05 AM   #114
hitman23
"TRF" Member

Everyone keeps bringing up Rick. I don't see any mention by the OP of speaking to Rick.

Not taking sides, but it seems everyone is talking about different people. Who was this mysterious sales associate who has set off a 4 page argument over customer service at said AD?
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 06:20 AM   #115
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Escalating Rolex AD bribary..
1. Chocolates..
2. Lobster dinna..
3. Date with your daughter..
4. Date with you..
5. Use your imagination..anything goes..lol..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 06:32 AM   #116
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
Everyone keeps bringing up Rick. I don't see any mention by the OP of speaking to Rick.

Not taking sides, but it seems everyone is talking about different people. Who was this mysterious sales associate who has set off a 4 page argument over customer service at said AD?
On the surface this thread has thread has some clear negativity towards Lee Perla. As a very happy customer of theirs I felt compelled to encourage members to work with them. The only reason I mentioned Rick is because, although I've met most of the staff there, my experiences have only been with Rick. I guess I could have just said "Lee Perla is great. Don't hesitate",

But the next comment could have easily been who did you work with? Anyway just felt it was worth putting the book ends on my personal experience.
Old 26 June 2018, 06:34 AM   #117
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

I heard someone got quote for 20 years so 8 years isn't that bad. It's good that you have a relationship with the AD but...there're VVIP guys with much deeper pockets. I'd just go to another AD.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmovement View Post
I got quoted 7-8 years for a 2018 SS pepsi....

Have bought 6 Rolexes over the years from them... 2 of which were precious metal.

Jokes on me I guess
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 06:50 AM   #118
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Well, we all want to be that "special client". Unfortunately, just because you bought 6 watches from that AD, including two precious metal, does not necessarily mean you are one of their best clients. Even being a good client, that still does not entitle you to have special priority, or indeed having a shorter wait for a model than what you were quoted.

Attitude also plays an important role. I bought one Patek Philippe from my AD, and a Rolex a few years back. And I have a great relationship with all of the Associates at the AD. But they always treat me so well, and make me feel as though I am special to them. Yet I totally respect the fact that there are many other clients who have bought far more watches - and far more expensive models - than I have.

Just know that regardless of what you think your status is as a client, if you possess a sense of entitlement, you will likely never get any satisfaction.
Old 26 June 2018, 06:53 AM   #119
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
I think this piece is over hyped. Just like the BLNR. It's only a SS GMT. Once the must haves get theirs, I think this piece will be more available. It's different and I think a lot of people will flip it as they can't warm up to the jubilee. JMHO.
Oddly, I kind of agree with your thoughts. I feel the jubilee on a gmt is off but that’s just my personal preference.
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 07:58 AM   #120
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Lots of ADs quoted ridiculous timeframes for the new GMTs. And yet they have been rolling out steadily for the last couple weeks. The ADs had no clue how long it would take to get these new models out, and they never do. It's stupid for them to throw out an off the cuff remark like 7-8 years, but there is no basis in fact for that. They're sick of answering the same question a hundred times a day and somebody snapped. Said something stupid and unfounded.

It's unfortunate the AD made such a stupid statement about wait time, but I don't think it rises to the level of necessitating a change in ADs.