The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 29 November 2015, 07:44 AM   #1
lacroix
"TRF" Member

Thinking of Adding a New Sea Dweller 4000

Hi,
I'm seeking advise on which one of these two watches you would consider adding to your collection, price aside and assuming you can only have one:

1. Sea Dweller 4000
or
2. Deep Sea

I tried both at my AD and although I love both, I'm leaning towards the Sea Dweller (SD) for fit on my wrist and for something that I can wear everyday (suit or not). I didn't see myself wearing the Deep Sea religiously everyday even. I equate the SD to my GMT Master II but thicker (which I like).

Apologies, if this question has been covered in another thread, I'm new to this forum.

I welcome your thoughts!
lacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2015, 08:16 AM   #2
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I prefer the 4000. The deep is too large in spite of me owning a planet ocean. I feel the balance of the elements is off a bit. A larger dial and bracelet would have made the deep a better package in my opinion. Just making the case larger is only part of the puzzle.

Plus tool watches have mat dials.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2015, 08:53 AM   #3
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
For sure the SD4k for the reason mentioned above by J!M. The New SD is a fantastic blend of the newer features like ceramic bezel insert and glidelock, without the more boxy looking case of the Sub.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2015, 08:55 AM   #4
lacroix
"TRF" Member

I appreciate both of your feedback!
Old 29 November 2015, 09:22 AM   #5
Toolguy
"TRF" Member

Sd4000 ....its a beautiful model....perfection imo.

Good luck with your decision
Toolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2015, 09:39 AM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Between the two, I prefer the 4000, but I'd much rather have a 114060. It's a classic Rolex and the proportions are much better than the SD, IMO.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2015, 08:27 AM   #7
lacroix
"TRF" Member

So far it's unanimous. Thank you everyone!
Old 3 December 2015, 12:40 AM   #8
MahdiyaDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I try wear my SDc everyday. The only time I don't is when I feel my other watches are feeling a bit neglected. I think after wearing it for so long it will be the largest in terms of thickness and diameter I'll ever go now. It's a tidy package and I don't think the other modern dive watches (6 digit references) have the look and proportions that I'm looking for. Best of luck with your decision. Don't forget to check out the thread with the SD 116600 owners for other comments and pics.
MahdiyaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2015, 02:46 AM   #9
Guest909
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacroix View Post
Hi,
I'm seeking advise on which one of these two watches you would consider adding to your collection, price aside and assuming you can only have one:

1. Sea Dweller 4000
or
2. Deep Sea

I tried both at my AD and although I love both, I'm leaning towards the Sea Dweller (SD) for fit on my wrist and for something that I can wear everyday (suit or not). I didn't see myself wearing the Deep Sea religiously everyday even. I equate the SD to my GMT Master II but thicker (which I like).

Apologies, if this question has been covered in another thread, I'm new to this forum.

I welcome your thoughts!
I've got SD4000 and love it! From what I've read the smaller SD is more desirable so will hold it's value better than DSSD (in my opinion). I tried a DSSD on and it just looks too big. SD4000 116600 looks classy and fits nicely under a shirt cuff as well.
Guest909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2015, 07:22 AM   #10
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
The Deepsea is a great design and superb piece of engineering but it's not for everyone. The SD4000 provides a nice option however - very impressive indeed!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Hound
"TRF" Member

Had a seadweller, sold it. Now have a deepsea DBlue. Zero regrets. Much more interesting dial IMHO.
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2015, 01:25 AM   #12
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
My SD4K was my first Rolex, so it holds a special place and isn't going anywhere. I wanted a watch for everyday wear, with the ability to dress it up or down. I was torn between the Subc, BLNR, and the SD4K.

I chose the SD4K because of the overall look...it just sang to me more than the other two. I did try the DeepSea but it was just to large and heavy for my 6.75 wrist. Strangely, I do have a Panerai PAM112, and at 44mm it seemed to wear smaller than the DeepSea.

You won't go wrong with either though, good luck.
tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2015, 03:01 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Try them both, it will depend on your wrist size and what you are comfortable with.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2015, 02:42 PM   #14
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Go with your gut, however I choose the SD4000

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2015, 05:26 PM   #15
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
I went with the Deep Sea because it was different than the SD4000 in size, markings, dial, clasp, rounded crystal.
Don't mind the bigger size. I also own a GMT II stainless and it looks too much like the SD4000. If I didn't have the GMT, then the SD4000 would work.
I am in the process of upgrading to Deep Sea Blue edition, which is even more unique with the new dial. Bottom line is that the Deep Sea and SD4000 are awesome watches!
Comes down to personal choice...
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2015, 03:15 PM   #16
lacroix
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone!
I finally had a chance last week to try both the DSSD & SD4K at a local AD and ended up buying the SD4K for the overall fit and feel on my wrist.

I also have a GMT II that I never wore; it's been in the safe since acquiring it. Don't get me wrong, I love the watch but hate the polished center links so I may sell it now that I own the SD4k.
Old 5 January 2016, 10:15 AM   #17
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
I went with the SD4000 and have absolutely no regrets.
Good luck!
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2016, 01:53 AM   #18
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
Newbie here. I bought a BNIB SD4000 2 weeks ago as my first Roelx purchase. I probably read every review and watched every video I could find. This aggravated my wife considerably. Then a miracle happened... We were driving along and I was talking about the SD again and she finally said "Just get it. Stop talking about it and get it. I don't want to hear any more about a watch."

So I grabbed my phone and hit "Add to Cart" on an unworn SD that I had been eyeing from Swiss Watch Expo for 2 months. ( I was happy to pay a bit more for an unworn watch with stickers still on it because this was a treat that I'd waited a long time to buy and because it's my first Rolex, I wanted it to be uniquely my own.

Ordered the watch at 530pm CST. ( 30 minutes after their store closes in Atlanta.) The watch arrived at 10 am the next morning which was incredible to me. I was expecting it the following day.

I am still in the awkward stage of not wanting even a fingerprint to get on the watch but I'm sure that will pass eventually.

Needless to say, I am thrilled with the watch and am convinced I made the right decision for my tastes. I chose this model for a few reasons: 1) It's just really cool 2) I liked that it's a little different from the Subs that I see everywhere. 3) I don't dive and this watch will never see salt water but I absolutely love the fact that it has a Helium Escape Valve and I love telling my buddies that this watch can go to 4,000 feet and still be watertight. (This is fun because my friends know I have absolutely no intention of ever diving with the watch.) 4) I wear suits frequently and love hat I can wear the watch anywhere.

Its great that I found this forum while I was shopping got the watch and now participating since I bought the SD. The downside is that now I already have my eyes on and am shopping for another Rolex....

My wife is a little displeased as my new taking points involve the merits of the Kermit and Batman GMT.

I'm hoping that my last strategy will work again and that if I keep ranting long enough, I can get another one soon.
HoustonRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 12:04 AM   #19
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Quote:
Thanks everyone!
I finally had a chance last week to try both the DSSD & SD4K at a local AD and ended up buying the SD4K for the overall fit and feel on my wrist.

I also have a GMT II that I never wore; it's been in the safe since acquiring it. Don't get me wrong, I love the watch but hate the polished center links so I may sell it now that I own the SD4k.
Don't sell the GMT IIc just because you don't like the PCLs... I had the same issue with mine, and for less than $100 you can have them brushed and problem solved.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 05:51 AM   #20
bmdaia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyasa View Post
Don't sell the GMT IIc just because you don't like the PCLs... I had the same issue with mine, and for less than $100 you can have them brushed and problem solved.
Or one Scotch Bright pad later and PCL's are brushed.
bmdaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2016, 12:25 AM   #21
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I just got one after part exing my Zenith Daytona for it + cash my way.

I do NOT regret it one bit.

The wrist prescene is awesome.
Clean face minus the cyclops glass like the Daytona.
Wicked lume and really clutterfree face.
Love the sweep.

All in all a perfect everyday watch that you can wear with everything.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2016, 06:18 AM   #22
mdaclarke
"TRF" Member

As a pure tool watch the 4000 is better. The world record for a dive is about 700 metres
mdaclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 07:41 PM   #23
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
DSSD, or wear the GMT
Old 18 February 2017, 03:04 AM   #24
TygerJaxsin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
If price isn't an option i would want both. If only one then it's a tough decision. For me personally it would depend on several things. For example the SD4K is more versatile as it's thinner and can be worn with a suit easier. However the James Cameron DS i absolutely love but it is rather large and i don't think it can be worn as easy. So based on those facts i would say the SD4K. The SD4K also looks fantastic with the date and no stupid cyclops bubble. That thicker crystal on the SD4K is sexy AF.
TygerJaxsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2017, 05:02 AM   #25
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Bought an SD4K in November, absolutely love it. My Omega PO and Breitling Navi don't get any wrist time so they are going to be traded for DJ41 or Milgauss. For me the DSSD tries too hard although the DSSD James Cameron seems a good investment KT10 9QY
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2017, 02:05 PM   #26
kennethcooke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi,

1. Sea Dweller 4000
or
2. Deep Sea

I welcome your thoughts!
How often do you participate in saturation diving? No, really, you must ask yourself this question. If never you could do a lot worse than to choose a 114060 Sub, No Date Ceramic, at 40mm it seems to sit well on most peoples wrists, is truly iconic, will never date and will look good in any outfit below or above sea level?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13903302_981921308593636_5465895430606861457_n.jpg (48.4 KB, 1045 views)
kennethcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2017, 12:35 AM   #27
blah114
Banned

Watch: iPhone
I have 6.25" wrists. I wear a deep blue all the time. No one notices it. One person recognized it, out of 10,000... it wears better than a sub. It holds resale really well, likely better than the sd 4000. I'd recommend the deep sea in black or deep,blue.,you can always get your money back on either in a few years, if not sooner. I'd never sell my deep blue. It's what I wear daily and I love,it. Very easy to read, well,made, and great luminescence. Typing from iPad. Sorry about commas.
blah114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2017, 10:10 PM   #28
MelB
"TRF" Member

SD and BLNR

I traded in my GMTII, Pepsi, towards the BLNR December 2016. Then began my search for my second rolex. I was hoping for a dramatic anniversary for the SD4000, however, when that didn't occur ( very disappointed in the anniversary SD), I decided to get the SD4000 as it's now discontinued and I got it for a 15% discount. Awesome watch and a daily struggle to decide which watch to wear ( LIFE IS GOOD).
MelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 02:57 AM   #29
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
My first Rolex was the Deepsea so you might think I'd be advocating for it. Nope! If I was doing it again I would not be seduced by the insane depth rating and I would get the Sea Dweller 4000. The Deepsea is quirky - it sits very tall on the wrist making it difficult to wear with a suit. And for the height of the case, the face is kind of small. It's just a little out of proportion IMHO.

I'm working on a trade right now: my DSSD for a Pepsi GMT Master II. My next purchase will most likely be a new 43mm Sea Dweller 4000.
ras47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2017, 04:17 AM   #30
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
My first Rolex was the Deepsea so you might think I'd be advocating for it. Nope! If I was doing it again I would not be seduced by the insane depth rating and I would get the Sea Dweller 4000. The Deepsea is quirky - it sits very tall on the wrist making it difficult to wear with a suit. And for the height of the case, the face is kind of small. It's just a little out of proportion IMHO.

I'm working on a trade right now: my DSSD for a Pepsi GMT Master II. My next purchase will most likely be a new 43mm Sea Dweller 4000.
Yes....43mm Seadweller growing on me too!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote