The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 June 2018, 09:14 AM   #1
APatel1984
Banned

Watch: Daytona SS White
JLC Master Ultra Thin Perpetual STAINLESS STEEL

Thoughts? Lusting after this to add to the collection!! The silver dial
APatel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 10:38 AM   #2
TRM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APatel1984 View Post
Thoughts? Lusting after this to add to the collection!! The silver dial
That makes two of us, I can't decide between a MUT and a Reverso but am leaning toward the MUT, just not sure which one yet. JLC makes a great watch with a lot of models to pick from.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 08:34 PM   #3
APatel1984
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRM View Post
That makes two of us, I can't decide between a MUT and a Reverso but am leaning toward the MUT, just not sure which one yet. JLC makes a great watch with a lot of models to pick from.
I am not a fan of the square faces so it's easy for me :)

Was also considering IWC before, but think the JLC is in a different league.
Old 7 June 2018, 09:48 PM   #4
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Jlcs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 04:25 AM   #5
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

I've owned a JLC MUT SS Silver Dial PC (quite the mouthful) for the past year and could not be happier! For a long while, I did not wear the watch outside of oxford shirts given its formality on a black strap.

However, the watch has come to life in more casual situations when paired with a blue strap. It is now one of my daily drivers and worn every other day as intended to be as a steel watch! Granted, I do occasionally wear the Seiko SKX007 if I'd need a watch.

Let me know if you guys have any Qs about the perpetual.

My personal preference has always been about the understated things (not just for watches). If I ever acquire a Rolex, it'd be a 39mm Oyster Perpetual or a 36mm Explorer (hopefully with an updated bracelet). I've been eyeing the Tudor BB fifty eight, but will have to mull it over for a while.
jh8cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 08:00 AM   #6
APatel1984
Banned

Thanks jh8cw! I was thinking if I do get it, to get a navy strap so it would go with everything as opposed to switching black and brown around.

Tried it on again today... bea-uti-ful!

https://i.imgur.com/hGFmCWX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JLhXSDp.jpg

Thought i'd try the gold aswell while I was there :)

https://i.imgur.com/G5bRCfj.jpg
Old 8 June 2018, 08:01 AM   #7
APatel1984
Banned

Thanks jh8cw! I was thinking if I do get it, to get a navy strap so it would go with everything as opposed to switching black and brown around.

Thought i'd try the gold aswell while I was there :)

Old 8 June 2018, 09:40 AM   #8
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Those look great on you. Funny, I actually tried on the rose gold version of that at my AD today, too. Looks fantastic. I think you can rock either one and make it look good on you. However, steel definitely flies under the radar more.

I think the steel version can be more versatile with formal or casual attire. In addition to the silver dial, steel case, and blued hands and sky/moon complication, you can swap out the strap to brown leather and make it look even more casual and fit with your attire if you wear brown shoes, belts, etc. Or you can switch it out a blue strap and still make it work.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 09:44 AM   #9
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/G5bRCfj.jpg
It looks great on your wrist! I'd like to share my personal pros and cons for the JLC Perpetual.

Pros:
1. Understated (however, some Dr. Strange fans may recognize the watch).
2. Extremely clean dial; thin; symmetrical except for the year window at 7PM.
3. Made of steel. Built for everyday wear.
4. Value. Even Ben Clymer initially chimed in on the value of the stainless steel versions of this watch before it was swept under the rugs in Hodinkee.
5. Kurt Klaus PC module allows for easy setting of date, synchronized with month/year/moonphase. (Drawback: cannot quick-set between 9PM to 4AM without damaging complication).
6. Thin (9.2mm), Size: 39mm (and the case, as you have observed still has some elaborate curvature; I'm surprised JLC does not employ this case to other watch models).

Cons:
1. Servicing fee is likely to be north of 1K in 5-7 years.
2. Price retention. On the second market, JLC MUT PC SS is between 12-14K. (Perhaps Richemont should buy up some of the 2nd market black dial SS PCs, since they're already doing so with Cartier, etc)
3. Strap options are limited to very thin (2mm) straps; Ordered my strap via Camille Fournet ~300 USD). JLC only offers the brown alternative.
4. Movement finishing is a bit industrial and is simply not up to par with the astounding complication.

My TLDR impression.
The JLC SS MUT PC is the watch that brought me into horology. I adore the PC complication, the idea that analog cogs are designed with the precision to model the right second, minute, hour, date, month, year, and moon phase simultaneously is an elaborate solution to a person-centric horological problem.

My serious alternative to this watch was: A. Lange Saxonia 37 mm. My love of the complication won out over simplicity and finishing (as well as the case being steel).
Old 8 June 2018, 10:31 AM   #10
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh8cw View Post

My TLDR impression.
The JLC SS MUT PC is the watch that brought me into horology. I adore the PC complication, the idea that analog cogs are designed with the precision to model the right second, minute, hour, date, month, year, and moon phase simultaneously is an elaborate solution to a person-centric horological problem.

My serious alternative to this watch was: A. Lange Saxonia 37 mm. My love of the complication won out over simplicity and finishing (as well as the case being steel).
Seriously good write up. Thank you for the impressions. I tried it on the first time today and it was great. I generally don't like complicated watches, but if I were to get a perpetual calendar, this is on the short list. I also really liked it from Dr. Strange.
Old 8 June 2018, 10:52 AM   #11
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
Seriously good write up. Thank you for the impressions. I tried it on the first time today and it was great. I generally don't like complicated watches, but if I were to get a perpetual calendar, this is on the short list. I also really liked it from Dr. Strange.
It's one of the few watches that I felt was really comfortable on my wrist. There have been times I've forgotten I'm wearing a watch! Love the depiction of the watch and what it symbolized in Dr. Strange; I don't think the watch has resurfaced in his re-appearances in the Marvel universe so it may have been a one-time product placement thing- but who knows with Cumberbatch having just turned JLC ambassador? The story is- Cumberbatch was given various choices and had a say in picking the JLC watch for the character, then the producers got in touch with JLC and hashed out the details. Who knows what actually happened tho!

Also, here is the watch in blue strap again to sway you about its 'casual' look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1882.JPG (238.4 KB, 443 views)
Old 8 June 2018, 11:26 AM   #12
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's one of the few watches that I felt was really comfortable on my wrist. There have been times I've forgotten I'm wearing a watch! Love the depiction of the watch and what it symbolized in Dr. Strange; I don't think the watch has resurfaced in his re-appearances in the Marvel universe so it may have been a one-time product placement thing- but who knows with Cumberbatch having just turned JLC ambassador? The story is- Cumberbatch was given various choices and had a say in picking the JLC watch for the character, then the producers got in touch with JLC and hashed out the details. Who knows what actually happened tho!

Also, here is the watch in blue strap again to sway you about its 'casual' look.
That's awesome. Love the story, too. I heard the same thing, but I also don't know if it's true. But whatever the case may be, it doesn't change the fact that it caught a lot of people's attention, including my own. It's almost like how the Omega Seamaster Professional 300 caught my attention on James Bond's wrist when Pierce Brosnan played the character. I know a lot of watch enthusiasts look down on product placement like this, but it definitely got me into watches. Without that Omega Seamaster I probably wouldn't be looking at the "Big 3" or German watches or anything of the sort beyond the affordable and awesome Japanese watches.
Old 8 June 2018, 11:46 AM   #13
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
That's awesome. Love the story, too. I heard the same thing, but I also don't know if it's true. But whatever the case may be, it doesn't change the fact that it caught a lot of people's attention, including my own. It's almost like how the Omega Seamaster Professional 300 caught my attention on James Bond's wrist when Pierce Brosnan played the character. I know a lot of watch enthusiasts look down on product placement like this, but it definitely got me into watches. Without that Omega Seamaster I probably wouldn't be looking at the "Big 3" or German watches or anything of the sort beyond the affordable and awesome Japanese watches.
It's kinda tough to look down on a watch that has such a clean dial with minimal flashiness (for a perpetual calendar) made by JLC though! People will no doubt (and have) mistake(n) the watch for a chronograph from a mere glance. The major criticism this watch garners from WIS is based on originality; the Kurt Klaus module was taken from IWC and integrated into their 868 movement; there is already a previous JLC PC steel model (37 mm version) which combined JLC's 889 (thin caliber) with IWC 440 module to make up the 889/440/2 caliber. Most people think of Patek or AP when it comes to PCs (easily 40k+ USD although some vintage APs are in the 10K range).

Also, one can easily perceive that the main reason why Dr. Strange cared a great deal about this watch is because it was a gift from his beloved! I was first smitten by the watch when it was first released in 2013 (and I remember distinctly not liking the idea of liking a watch this much). I'm sure we all have our gateway luxury watches! Regardless, I agree with you about product placements being a way to expose the watch to the masses in an effective manner (as long as the placement doesn't ruin the plot/pacing of the movie).

Most memorable watch scene for me is Pulp Fiction- Lancet WWI trench watch!
Old 8 June 2018, 12:12 PM   #14
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Jlcs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The MUT Moonphase and Reverso TT1931 are wonderful alternatives to the MUT PC! I've no idea why JLC decided to discontinue the TT1931 (it was the darling of WIS community for years) Love your collection!
Old 8 June 2018, 01:57 PM   #15
TRM
Banned

Quote:
It looks great on your wrist! I'd like to share my personal pros and cons for the JLC Perpetual.

Pros:
4. Value. Even Ben Clymer initially chimed in on the value of the stainless steel versions of this watch before it was swept under the rugs in Hodinkee.
5. Kurt Klaus PC module allows for easy setting of date, synchronized with month/year/moonphase. (Drawback: cannot quick-set between 9PM to 4AM without damaging complication).
6. Thin (9.2mm), Size: 39mm (and the case, as you have observed still has some elaborate curvature; I'm surprised JLC does not employ this case to other watch models).

Cons:
2. Price retention. On the second market, JLC MUT PC SS is between 12-14K. (Perhaps Richemont should buy up some of the 2nd market black dial SS PCs, since they're already doing so with Cartier, etc)
3. Strap options are limited to very thin (2mm) straps; Ordered my strap via Camille Fournet ~300 USD). JLC only offers the brown alternative.
4. Movement finishing is a bit industrial and is simply not up to par with the astounding complication.

My TLDR impression.

I was just about to comment on that being the Dr. Strange watch. Looked like Dr. Strange had a nice watch collection.
Old 8 June 2018, 02:00 PM   #16
TRM
Banned

Quote:
I am not a fan of the square faces so it's easy for me :)

Was also considering IWC before, but think the JLC is in a different league.
I've considered IWC before also, I just have not come across one yet that overly impresses me. I do however like their line of pilot's watches, just not enough to buy one yet.
Old 8 June 2018, 03:12 PM   #17
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cons:
Basic service for the PC, without any extra replacement parts eg hands, crown etc costs $1630 in the US. Considering the complexity of the movement that doesn't seem too bad.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 03:13 PM   #18
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, one can easily perceive that the main reason why Dr. Strange cared a great deal about this watch is because it was a gift from his beloved! I was first smitten by the watch when it was first released in 2013 (and I remember distinctly not liking the idea of liking a watch this much). I'm sure we all have our gateway luxury watches! Regardless, I agree with you about product placements being a way to expose the watch to the masses in an effective manner (as long as the placement doesn't ruin the plot/pacing of the movie).
I like the fact that when Dr. Strange lost all of his worldly possessions, including all of his other watches, he still kept that one piece from his beloved. He treated her terribly, lost everything, but despite how he treated her, the action of keeping her watch as his last possession really said a lot about his character. The engraving obviously means something, too.
Old 8 June 2018, 03:28 PM   #19
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. And surprisingly little on show, except for that skeletonized rotor. Hardly worth the addition of the display back tbh.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 06:55 PM   #20
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Pros:

Cons:

My TLDR impression.

the 2 point you talk about is not that low though.. Last month I walked into a shop in Bangkok airport, and this model but with the black dial she said directly 30% discount. Not even talking about the price, so maybe even more wiggle room.

It's a really nice watch! Because of the size and how thin it is, I dont know what watch comes close.
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 12:12 PM   #21
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I got mine in January. I love the watch; it’s great with a suit or with a pair of jeans. I softened the look a bit by buying a dark brown strap for it. I would imagine blue would look great too.

You should know that the silver hour and minute hands on the silver dial present a legibility issue. Other than that, though, I’ve enjoyed mine very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 261D86E9-F67E-4414-B43F-2DDB7E8BFDA0.jpeg (30.7 KB, 353 views)
Old 11 June 2018, 04:49 PM   #22
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Nice looking watches. Is the second hand painted blue or blue heated? I know the Reversos has blue heated hands.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 04:04 AM   #23
jh8cw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
I got mine in January. I love the watch; it’s great with a suit or with a pair of jeans. I softened the look a bit by buying a dark brown strap for it. I would imagine blue would look great too.

You should know that the silver hour and minute hands on the silver dial present a legibility issue. Other than that, though, I’ve enjoyed mine very much.
Definitely agree; this watch is a keeper for me- I thoroughly weighed the pros and cons and for me the pros far exceed the cons. For a while I was a bit annoyed at not being able to wear the watch as much granted it is a steel watch (and meant to be worn). Here's the blue (also to answer Capote's Q, it is blue-heated).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4332.JPG (28.5 KB, 316 views)
Old 12 June 2018, 04:26 AM   #24
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Nice looking watches. Is the second hand painted blue or blue heated? I know the Reversos has blue heated hands.
Yes; the second hand is blue heated. Very striking!
Old 22 June 2018, 11:52 AM   #25
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Don’t wait for it. Just get it.

I enjoy mine and it is just so sleek and complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote