The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 May 2019, 07:37 PM   #1
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Daytona or Patek 5968A Chronograph

To be fair, I’m a Daytona fanboy. I own a total of 6 different model/year Daytona’s. It is for me, THE watch. However, I’ve recently hit what I feel is a saturation point on my Rolex collection consisting of may diff years and models of a variety of Rolex models (in addition to the Daytona’s). I’m starting to look around at other non Rolex watches (with this odd feeling of it being like ‘cheating’) and two brands that have caught my eye are (1) A. Lang and Sohne and (2) Patek Philippe. I’m curious what others may think about the Patek Philippe 5968A Aquanaut Chronograph vs the Rolex Daytona.
I would appreciate hearing all opinions, negative, positive, dismissive.... thanks.

And for this that are not familiar, here is a picture of each:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LoveTheCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 10:56 PM   #2
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Well the 5968 is a 60-minute chrono, with flyback function, and looks quite sporty. Certainly not a common model in the wild.

The Daytona, you know.

Having owned several Rolex watches, the Aqua would be your obvious option!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 01:15 PM   #3
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
Well the 5968 is a 60-minute chrono, with flyback function, and looks quite sporty. Certainly not a common model in the wild.

The Daytona, you know.

Having owned several Rolex watches, the Aqua would be your obvious option!

Has anyone owned an aqua? Does it make your balls tingle the same way the Daytona does? I’m asking for some insight before I start the hunt. Is the aqua a pass or a chase?

Old 20 May 2019, 11:42 PM   #4
faimag
"TRF" Member

I had a 5167 (not chrono) and all I can say is that, although it is less interesting or blingy than the Daytona (on my wrist and my eyes, at least), it is so beautifully made that always makes my balls tingle (!!!)

Are you thinking about maybe adding a bracelet in addition to the rubber band? The 5167 on a bracelet transforms from sporty to formal. Size-wise it wears very similar to 40mm Rolex watches. What I cannot attest to is the orange color in the 5968 chrono. Are you fixated on the chrono? If it were me, I would go with 5167 or 5164 if I had the additional funds and wanted a complication.
Old 21 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

I very much liked the 5968 when I tried it on at the Salon in Geneva last month. It is my favorite Aquanaut as I find it more interesting than the 5167 and don't like how the left-side pushers on the 5164 change the Aquanaut design and I am generally no fan of travel time watches. One more reason why I will pick up the 5968 (whenever the AD has one for me) rather than the basic 5167 is that I have got a basic Nautilus and a little Calatrava but lack a chrono.

One thing to keep in mind coming from Rolex is that the Aquanauts (just like the Nautilus) are scratch magnets. And they do not necessarily look good or better when scratched unlike, for example, some Rolex or IWC tool watches.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:44 AM   #6
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
5968A for sure. They are not on the same level.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:13 AM   #7
faimag
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
One thing to keep in mind coming from Rolex is that the Aquanauts (just like the Nautilus) are scratch magnets. And they do not necessarily look good or better when scratched unlike, for example, some Rolex or IWC tool watches.
Like APs... It comes with the territory!
Old 21 May 2019, 04:13 AM   #8
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Aqua
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:09 AM   #9
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Never liked the aqua line and had many opportunities to pick one up. Well made, very light, didn’t like the rubber strap or the bracelet. Definitely no ball tingling here.

Now a 5990 or 5170G, you may get instant tingly balls .

Old 21 May 2019, 12:41 PM   #10
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
Never liked the aqua line and had many opportunities to pick one up. Well made, very light, didn’t like the rubber strap or the bracelet. Definitely no ball tingling here.

Now a 5990 or 5170G, you may get instant tingly balls .

Turborolex

I must admit... I checked out those two models, and ball tingles indeed.
Wowza. The 5990 seems to be a bit more ‘modern’ to my eye while the 5170G appears far more ‘classic’. In either case.... wowza indeed.
And a price tag to go with it.
My most expensive non grey market Rolex out of the box is my white gold, alligator strap sky-dweller (now discontinued); my most expensive non grey market Rolex out of the box is my smurf (white gold blue dial submariner). The smurf I’m in love with; the sky dweller was an impulse buy, Is still fully stickered and stuck in a vault for the next 10 / 20 years.
My two fav everyday watches are my smurf and white dial ceramic 2019 Daytona.

But as I originally stated when I started this thread, I’m looking to stray away from the crown in search of another make and model that holds up well on the ball tingle metric but is not so expensive that it is too expensive to enjoy (for me) to wear.
There is a delta for us all between watch and price. I’m not sure where mine is yet but 6 digits is too much for me to spend on any one singular watch. Ability to spend and desire to spend not withstanding. For a 6 digit price tag, it really better come equipped with a yummie young lady to do the tingling part while I tell the time!!

Old 4 July 2019, 01:51 AM   #11
Xelorpepsi
"TRF" Member

As much as I love the Daytona and own two myself, I would go for the PP: date, fly back function, chrono, rubber band... a bit of change in a collection is always welcome!

With a similar budget, I would consider the A.Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Langematik in platinum.
Xelorpepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 05:04 PM   #12
WeiLo
"TRF" Member

Patek for sure.
WeiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2020, 05:07 PM   #13
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Despite all the strange tingling that may be going on that PP does zip for me.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 11:43 AM   #14
Halothane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
5968a for sure! I love it !!
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 07:09 PM   #15
MS1978
"TRF" Member

The 5698a is really striking in the metal, I found the value proposition v a non chrono a little steep. But for a PP it is really sporty, feels great on the wrist and has a pop. Also very few available and unlikely to see many in the wild.
One point that I do find a little annoying a non running second hand.

Vacheron Overseas chrono is well worth a look
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 72AC000D-8F92-4A91-AE98-4E67595C6E03.jpeg (82.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpeg 6A737B34-ED1C-4494-95F1-878BF0B54479.jpeg (24.2 KB, 206 views)
MS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 08:30 AM   #16
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheCrown View Post
Has anyone owned an aqua? Does it make your balls tingle the same way the Daytona does? I’m asking for some insight before I start the hunt. Is the aqua a pass or a chase?

I've had both, and plenty of the varying models of each...and unless it's vintage, I've gotten rather bored of the (almost any) daytona super quickly post the hype phase wearing off. The Patek on other hand just keeps the interest day in and day out, though I have to admit, the 5167 is the one that seems to be the overall winner for me at the end of the day, as much as I love my 5968...
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 05:25 PM   #17
LoveTheCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I've had both, and plenty of the varying models of each...and unless it's vintage, I've gotten rather bored of the (almost any) daytona super quickly post the hype phase wearing off. The Patek on other hand just keeps the interest day in and day out, though I have to admit, the 5167 is the one that seems to be the overall winner for me at the end of the day, as much as I love my 5968...

Excellent info and thank you. I have two more Crowns to obtain before I’ve completed my collection. The WH GMT meteorite and the yellow gold
Daytona with the green face. I will not buy these from a grey. I have 19 different Crowns to choose from every morning. Once i complete my list as mentioned above, im on the hunt for the Patek’s that are the ball tinglers.