The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 24 August 2016, 04:23 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
A tale of two Montegrappas.....

I never really considered this pen before but a few Montegrappa Cash fountain pens with rose gold trim have come up for sale. It's a rediculous pen but it does seem like it's fun. I've also read the Fortuna series are great writers as well. Another Fortuna has also come to my attention and it's basically dirt cheap. The Fortuna Napoli in a blue swirled resin. It seems very underpriced in the line and it looks great. The Fortuna Cash though is a more detailed pen and I don't have a totally screwing around "fun" pen in my collection. What say you guys??
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (35.2 KB, 101 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 04:24 PM   #2
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

The Napoli
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (26.7 KB, 100 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 24 August 2016, 08:57 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As part of your overall collection I don't see an issue if the price is right and you like the pens.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 08:56 AM   #4
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I never really considered this pen before but a few Montegrappa Cash fountain pens with rose gold trim have come up for sale. It's a rediculous pen but it does seem like it's fun. I've also read the Fortuna series are great writers as well. Another Fortuna has also come to my attention and it's basically dirt cheap. The Fortuna Napoli in a blue swirled resin. It seems very underpriced in the line and it looks great. The Fortuna Cash though is a more detailed pen and I don't have a totally screwing around "fun" pen in my collection. What say you guys??
There is always a place for a non-serious pen in any serious collection!

You gotta have fun or it becomes a chore. Get it and enjoy!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

I just put in a few offers on the Napoli. The first got booted by default automatically The second is reasonable and didn't get automatically kicked out. Seller has a couple days to decide. I can't believe how cheap this pen is selling for. It's a full on fortuna for a Monteverde price. Despite the nib being steel and me liking my Monteverde steel Invincia just fine, it's a moral victory I guess this getting a Montegrappa for less than a Monteverde despite performance and astethics not being any different. I really wish they would have expanded their Espressione blue marbled resin to the fortuna line. That would have been an instant winner! I still haven't written off the montegrappa cash.......on my taxes......just yet! I don't think they're going anywhere just yet so I may return to strike in a bit! It is a really tempting pen.
Old 26 August 2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

The seller accepted my offer on the Napoli so I was able to pick up a Montegrappa Fortuna for about $10 less than a Monteverde Invincia I like my Invincia just fine so this will be an interesting comparison with a fortuna running up to well over twice the Invincia price point retail
Old 28 August 2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

This "make an offer" feature on eBay is interesting. I was looking at another Montegrappa Fortuna but in a sort of cracked ice blue resin. This one is the Marrakech edition of the pen. There's a Roma in white and a Barcelona in teal green as well. I put in a few offers that immediately got kicked out. I put in a third, you only get 3 offers, and this one didn't get booted. The seller accepted the offer the next day so I have one coming next week in a medium nib. Same guy on eBay I ordered my Visconti Michelangelo and Omas Milord rosewood noir from. I don't predict this blue cracked ice resin will have as much of an impact as the blue resin on the Montegrappa Espressione, but it should look very nice. I'm looking forward to it.

Stock photo for reference. I'll post an incoming thread in a week with outdoor pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (29.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 30 August 2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

The Montegrappa Fortuna Napoli came in today and it seems to be a nice pen so far. The nib feels on par with the Montegrappa Espressione despite it being one size bigger on the Napoli. Both are steel and very smooth. The Napoli is a hair scratchy left to right in a straight horizontal line. A little micro mesh will sort it out. I'm in the process of testing the Napoli as an eye dropper because it came with a short converter for some reason. More than enough room in the body for a standard converter Not sure what that's all about but I think it's an easy fix. The resin is a white pearl in sky blue that shimmers in veins. It's also slightly translucent so the light really brightens it up. I'm taking it to work tomorrow, hopefully as an eye dropper, and we'll she how she goes. Quick couple pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 30 August 2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Un capped with the Napoli club emblem on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.4 KB, 45 views)