The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 August 2010, 01:44 PM   #31
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I just received a new Explorer 2 white face as a gift and I noticed that my Exp 2 does not have the ROLEXROLEXROLEX inscribed on the inside of the inner ring of the dial. The photograph on Rolex's website shows this feature on the Exp 2.

Does anyone know when Rolex added this feature? My Exp 2 was purchased new from an AD in June of 2010.

Thanks
Do you have the serial number? That will tell you the year of production and the answer to your question, should it have it or not?
Old 17 August 2010, 04:01 PM   #32
DM101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brich436 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a question. I just received a new Explorer 2 white face as a gift and I noticed that my Exp 2 does not have the ROLEXROLEXROLEX inscribed on the inside of the inner ring of the dial. The photograph on Rolex's website shows this feature on the Exp 2.

Does anyone know when Rolex added this feature? My Exp 2 was purchased new from an AD in June of 2010.

Thanks
Earlier batch of Z series doers not come with this ROLEX ROLEX rehaut/engraving. Like this piece of mine... a studio shot of my EXPLORER 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer2.jpg (81.7 KB, 5315 views)
DM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2010, 09:48 PM   #33
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
Do you have the serial number? That will tell you the year of production and the answer to your question, should it have it or not?
How do I determine the serial number? I think it's underneath the band at 6 o'clock. I'm not quiet sure how to take the band off of the watch?
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2010, 10:46 AM   #34
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
The serial number is Z706XXX

Thanks for the information.
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2010, 06:52 PM   #35
calibre1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, OMEGA
Explorer II White dialed

Hi, I am just curious about the material used to make the hands and black rim around the luminova dots. Are those white gold painted black or just stainless steel painted black?

Also what's the dial made of...what's behind the white paint?

That would be interested to know.
Thanks ! Cheers!
calibre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 03:05 AM   #36
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre1 View Post
Hi, I am just curious about the material used to make the hands and black rim around the luminova dots. Are those white gold painted black or just stainless steel painted black?

Thanks ! Cheers!
x2
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre1 View Post

Thanks ! Cheers!
The dial is painted brass, the same as most other Rolex Dials..

The hands and hour markers are 18k gold, painted black... (and red)

CurvedHand3.JPG

Last edited by Tools; 13 January 2020 at 11:45 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2010, 01:24 PM   #38
calibre1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, OMEGA
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The dial is painted brass, the same as most other Rolex Dials..

The hands and hour markers are 18k gold, painted black... (and red)

Thanks Larry

That is very interesting indeed.
From your picture, the sides and unpainted portion of hands does looks silver-ish.

I actually thought that the hands and hour markers were the same as those in the submariners i.e white gold but painted in black and red.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot Larry!!
calibre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2010, 01:36 AM   #39
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_doctor View Post
I know the current 16570 is waterproof to 100m, but does anyone know if the Explorer II has had different waterproof certifications throughout its run?

nad
It seems that Rolex left this empty!
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2010, 04:36 AM   #40
Hluot
"TRF" Member

1971 or 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
According to the the official rolex web site (http://www.rolex.com/en) is mention that the E2 was launched in 1971.

So now I'm a little confused: 1971 or 1972?
Hluot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2010, 02:20 AM   #41
Fab75

Watch: rolex 1675-5513
I also love my explo 2

Fab75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2011, 01:24 AM   #42
JCSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub red
I love the white dial it´s a classic,as for the Daytona SS.My collection is no 4 Rolex´s two white dial and two black,Daytona SS,Exp. II,Submariner and a GMT II.
JCSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2011, 01:01 AM   #43
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
According to Rolex.com the EX2 was introduced 1971, and that must have been the 1655. When was the 16550 and 16570 introduced?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2011, 08:36 AM   #44
edbsbc78
"TRF" Member

Thanks Larry,
Great article on Explorer II.
I have a 16570 Black dial, and after all theses years, i still find myself staring at it in awe of its "beauty."
Cheers!
edbsbc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2011, 06:42 PM   #45
rvmeeker
"TRF" Member

Detailed Explorer II history wanted

I, too, have attempted to discern the chronological time-line for, and the exact differences between, the various Explorer II models. I understand that the original 1655 was introduced in 1971, but the exact model-year dates for the 16550 and 16570 are unclear to me. I'm pretty sure that the sapphire crystal was introduced in 1986, but don't know if this was on the 16550 or the 16570 model. Finally, I've seen references to D, G, M, N, V and Z-Series (and probably others). Do these series designations simply refer to the year of manufacture, or are there specific features that distinguish one series from another? When did the orange 24-hour hand change from orange to red? When did the bracelets change? When was the super luminova paint added? When was the rehaut inscription added? I've searched the forum and web for clear answers to clear up this confusion, but have failed to find any definitive model and series historical time-line. Can anyone enlighten me?

Mucho Mahalo,
Roger
Kapoho, Hawaii
rvmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2011, 08:40 PM   #46
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmeeker View Post
I, too, have attempted to discern the chronological time-line for, and the exact differences between, the various Explorer II models. I understand that the original 1655 was introduced in 1971, but the exact model-year dates for the 16550 and 16570 are unclear to me. I'm pretty sure that the sapphire crystal was introduced in 1986, but don't know if this was on the 16550 or the 16570 model. Finally, I've seen references to D, G, M, N, V and Z-Series (and probably others). Do these series designations simply refer to the year of manufacture, or are there specific features that distinguish one series from another? When did the orange 24-hour hand change from orange to red? When did the bracelets change? When was the super luminova paint added? When was the rehaut inscription added? I've searched the forum and web for clear answers to clear up this confusion, but have failed to find any definitive model and series historical time-line. Can anyone enlighten me?

Mucho Mahalo,
Roger
Kapoho, Hawaii
I can only answer a few of those questions - I'm not a full blown WIS yet. There are no official data as to when a certain series was produced but fans has but together lists online. The 1655 is the only model with an orange arrow shaped 24-hour hand. The 16550 has GMT shaped red hand but it is still fixed to the hour hand so it is a 24-hour hand. The 16570 has the same movement as the GMT 16710 so the 24-hour hand is actually an independent GMT hand. For the new model coming out this year 216570 the original 1655 hand has made a comeback, with a larger case and a new movement, 3187.

I think the change from tritium to luminova took place around 1998. The engraved rehaut started around 2007 on the EXP2 I think. For the 16570 there was also an updated movement 3186, for the models with the engraved rehaut and possible in some without the rehaut.
Old 17 April 2011, 05:25 AM   #47
rvmeeker
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Daniel. I really appreciate your response. Can anybody else shed light on what distinguishes one series from another? D vs. M vs. V vs. Z, etc. To be honest, I'm not even certain whether the letter designations are even chronological, as I believe that JJ mentioned that the V-Series (apparently the latest) has the 3186 movement.

Roger
rvmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2011, 12:16 AM   #48
Edwin Ong
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6694,PP5035,116718
I love this complete orange hand !
Edwin Ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 07:52 AM   #49
De Sisti
Banned

Watch: Explorer II
Excuse me for jumping into this discussion. I'm only doing so because I've sent
my Explorer II off for servicing (bought in 1994, serial S6*****). When I bought
it, it looked great to me. Now, with my eyesight failing, I find it difficult to focus
on it. A colleague in work had a similar model, but with a cream coloured dial. I
could focus on it with no problems.

I've read somewhere that these cream dials weren't produced for very long and
that they are very rare. Has anyone heard of someone having their white dial
repainted to cream? I'm very tempted to purchase a black dial, as the contrast
of the different colour hands and hour markers will make it easier for me to focus on.
De Sisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 05:35 AM   #50
dan5

Hello Gents,

I saw a expoler ii for sale buy trusted sell today....Can anyone please educate me on the year and movement of this model. 16570 snd Serial Y 822xxxxx. Thanks
dan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2011, 10:21 AM   #51
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Sisti View Post
Excuse me for jumping into this discussion. I'm only doing so because I've sent
my Explorer II off for servicing (bought in 1994, serial S6*****). When I bought
it, it looked great to me. Now, with my eyesight failing, I find it difficult to focus
on it. A colleague in work had a similar model, but with a cream coloured dial. I
could focus on it with no problems.

I've read somewhere that these cream dials weren't produced for very long and
that they are very rare. Has anyone heard of someone having their white dial
repainted to cream? I'm very tempted to purchase a black dial, as the contrast
of the different colour hands and hour markers will make it easier for me to focus on.
First off, welcome Second: You're not really jumping into any discussion, this thread has been dead for 6 months Anyway, the cream colour was a factory defect. They started out white and turned cream colour later on. They are way more expensive than the ordinary white ones since people tend to like collecting defect Rolexes. I have never heard of anybody trying to repaint the dial though.
Old 3 December 2011, 10:28 AM   #52
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan5 View Post
Hello Gents,

I saw a expoler ii for sale buy trusted sell today....Can anyone please educate me on the year and movement of this model. 16570 snd Serial Y 822xxxxx. Thanks
Welcome If the watch has a ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraved rehaut, it has the 3186 movement, which was the last one for this model. The earlier had a 3185 movement. There are/were some internet hype with the later movement, but IMO its not worth the premium of getting the 3186. Since the new Explorer II 216570 has the newer 3187 movement they are infact both obsolete. Not familiar with the different serials but If the watch in question has lug holes its an older model.
Old 6 January 2012, 02:41 AM   #53
Rsvrider
"TRF" Member

Watch: It cming frm above
Is the 216570 the only 42mm? What was the 1st yr off production/release? Any of you fortunate enough to share a side by side pic of both the 40mm and the 42mm? The more I read about the opinions of owning an ExpII the more I want one. Seems like the perfect daily all arounder. Leaning towards a black faced with OD green NATO. One more thing, would it be wrong to switch the hands to the thicker ones and the big orange hr hand too on a modern?
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
Rsvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2012, 10:34 PM   #54
toddster
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Exp 2 dial history

I have a W series (~1995) that has the luminova dial, not <T25 (tit). A couple comments I've received, "is when did you have the dial replaced as the orig dial was trit"? Does anyone know that history? I purhcased mine used, no B&P and without a complete history of the piece. I've had it serviced at RSC, so no doubts on authenticity of the watch.

Thanks!
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 06:59 PM   #55
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I have a W series (~1995) that has the luminova dial, not <T25 (tit). A couple comments I've received, "is when did you have the dial replaced as the orig dial was trit"? Does anyone know that history? I purhcased mine used, no B&P and without a complete history of the piece. I've had it serviced at RSC, so no doubts on authenticity of the watch.

Thanks!
I have a swiss T<25 dial, bought circa 1995 (so they were still available in 1995) albeit one of the last few, with the dial still in best condition saved for the patina-ed hourmarkers and now lack of readable lume. RSC asked me if I wanted to have the dial changed to a later Swiss Made dial and have SL on the hourmarkers, I said no as I'd rather retain the OEM/stock dial.

The hands on the other hand has seen better days with the black borders have some imperfections already, that has been changed.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 07:25 PM   #56
bsandiford
"TRF" Member

The 216570 explorer II is a fine watch but for me it marks a departure of Rolex into the oversized and blingy market that is aimed at Chinese new millionaires. No doubt that technologically the 3187 movement is a marvel but for me 16570 is already a classic. It marks the sports/tool watch at the perfect dimensions of 40mm. The lume isn't the best but its Rolex's last watch that was perfect. Snap one up on the vintage market peoples!!
bsandiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 10:48 PM   #57
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandiford View Post
The 216570 explorer II is a fine watch but for me it marks a departure of Rolex into the oversized and blingy market that is aimed at Chinese new millionaires. No doubt that technologically the 3187 movement is a marvel but for me 16570 is already a classic. It marks the sports/tool watch at the perfect dimensions of 40mm. The lume isn't the best but its Rolex's last watch that was perfect. Snap one up on the vintage market peoples!!

'Oversized and blingy' is a bit strong... it's only 42 mm and is finished in the same way as the old model i.e. mostly brushed. Of course these things come down to personal preference and opinion, but I see the 216570 as being more functional than the 16570. The dial & hands are easier to read, the lume is much better, and the clasp is more readily adjustable

I still like the 16570 (I had two of them) but the updates for the 216570 have given the Exp II a new and hopefully long lease of life. It is no longer an 'also ran' trailing the Sub and GMT
Old 2 August 2012, 02:58 AM   #58
jcd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me vector
Sorry if this is a silly question, but the 216570 replaced the 16570, correct? I only ask because my local AD had them on display next to each other. Seemed odd to me to display the old and new style together like that. I'm glad they did though, it was an interesting to compare side by side like that. It's amazing what a difference only 2mm makes.
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2012, 07:37 AM   #59
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
I see the 216570 as being more functional than the 16570. The dial & hands are easier to read, the lume is much better, and the clasp is more readily adjustable.
I will give you a more adjustable clasp but I think the fat hands on the new one is overkill. Looks like a tool watch for senior citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question, but the 216570 replaced the 16570, correct? I only ask because my local AD had them on display next to each other. Seemed odd to me to display the old and new style together like that. I'm glad they did though, it was an interesting to compare side by side like that. It's amazing what a difference only 2mm makes.
Yes, that is correct. The 16570 is no longer in production.
Old 2 August 2012, 06:39 PM   #60
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I will give you a more adjustable clasp but I think the fat hands on the new one is overkill. Looks like a tool watch for senior citizens.

Perhaps spelunking is a popular occupation for senior citizens?