The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2020, 06:15 PM   #1
glamorama
"TRF" Member

116503 Daytona TT Racing-dial variations and production?

Hi,

does anyone know, or have catalogue for 2016, what dials 116503 came with?

Is there any truth to this statement from a seller on C24?

"This could just be the rarest of all modern Rolex Sports watches. Currently this is the only 116503 with the beautiful Blue Arabic Numerals dial on offer on Chrono24. It is said that Rolex only produced the 116503 Daytona with this dial for some 4 to 6 months in 2016."

Reason I'm asking is that I have a 116503 with blue racing dial that I am convinced beyond resonable doubt is original (sold 2016 to its original owner a lady in Switzerland), and it seems confirmed this dial came with not just 116523 but also 116503. I have been looking for a 116503 with a panda racing dial for some time. A few are available for sale in US but they do not come with original paperwork. That makes me suspicious since US warranty card usually mention dial configuration.

Does anyone know if 116503 indeed came with panda racing dial original from Rolex? If so which model years?

Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 10.10.08.png
Screenshot 2020-06-28 at 10.11.22.png
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 06:21 PM   #2
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Maybe this reference thread is only for actual reference threads not questions?
Old 29 June 2020, 12:02 PM   #3
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
This "reference library" section is more like catalogs of research on different subjects.

I can't definitively answer your question but I believe there was some crossover of now-discontinued dials to the present model. For example I was aware of the rare 116503 slate dial; I hadn't seen a 116503 Panda dial before but if you trust your source it sounds plausible to me.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 07:11 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
In general when sellers today use words like could just be the rarest of all modern Rolex Sports watches,in general used to ask crazy money for them.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 11:36 PM   #5
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
This "reference library" section is more like catalogs of research on different subjects.

I can't definitively answer your question but I believe there was some crossover of now-discontinued dials to the present model. For example I was aware of the rare 116503 slate dial; I hadn't seen a 116503 Panda dial before but if you trust your source it sounds plausible to me.
Oh thanks I realised that after posting...

Hard to know what to trust but surprised there are so little information on these relatively recent models from just a few years ago around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In general when sellers today use words like could just be the rarest of all modern Rolex Sports watches,in general used to ask crazy money for them.
Yes .. and it can also make them swap dials around. Which I guess is fine if the model came with that dial at some point. Saw another guy posting a TT Daytona he was going to buy just to find out that the dial had never existed for that model.
Old 31 August 2020, 10:50 PM   #6
Dilinger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18238,116503,16520
Hi there,
Yes, 116503 indeed came initially with the Racing Blue dial.
I know this because i bought one in 2016 right after it launched.

I am not 100% sure for the white panda dial, BUT i think it came too initially.

Some notes.
-EU warranty cards do not mention dial configuration.
-Why does it matter if the owner changed dial, if this was performed in a AD service center?
-If the watch was offered initially with that dial as a possible configuration, then no problem.
-I have seen many examples of the white panda dial with arabic numerals on 116503, and i have even seen the beautiful paul newman reverse panda dial (black dial / champagne subdials)
and even the panda dial with gold dial/ black subdials, although its not my favourite, as in this version the ''gold'' dial is not actually gold but some yellowish variation of gold misplacing it from the gold metal of the rest of the watch.

FWI, i am thinking of buying another dial (white or slate or the paul newman), to add to my watch and keep the blue racing dial or sell it, because i find the arabic numerals too busy to co-exist along with the subdials of the more complex daytona dial layout.
Old 31 August 2020, 11:06 PM   #7
dpvillanueva
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Man that white panda dial looks good on that TT!
dpvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 04:24 AM   #8
Dilinger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18238,116503,16520

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 September 2020, 09:13 PM   #9
Catsgomeowmeow
"TRF" Member

Hi is there data on how long that blue arabic dial was produced? I was told it was only available for about 6 months after the 116503 got released.
Catsgomeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote