The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 May 2018, 10:35 AM   #1
russ86
"TRF" Member

Help me to pick 1 out 3 GTM Master II

So I called few sellers regarding 16710 pepsi dial in order to get the best deal for my money. Price was not as much of an issue as to get the one in the good condition.
I narrowed it down to 3 watches, please help me choose

1st. Price $8,100
Polished.
X series.
Comes with box and paperwork.
What confuses me is clasp on this one.
3 Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/TtPTjL1

2nd. Price $8,600
Polished by rolex dealer.
Comes with box, but no paperwork.
7 Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/MLjeHCh

3rd. Price $10,500
Hardly polished, excellent condition.
Comes with box and all paperwork.
The red is a bit faded, but I guess its ok?
3 Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/GwKiyhZ

I also called bunch of other sellers but thats the 3 I narrowed it down to.
When I got in a 10k territory, I started to think, does it make sense to wait few more month and just get the new 2018 GMT that Roles presented this year. I know I would have to get in on grey market with premium, but I rather pay 14,000 to 14,500 for brand new watch that 10,500 for older and polished model.
Now I am just confused, please help me out.
Thanks.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
I would check out our trusted sellers here!! Good luck!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:09 AM   #3
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
#1 has a non-original clasp. Not a big deal in my opinion as a new clasp would probably cost a couple hundred dollars or less. Probably much less. I like #3 the most but the price is the very top of the range. The faded bezel is a plus for many collectors. I don't care for it myself, but if/when you send it to an RSC for service they will replace it. And keep the faded one. I would suggest buying cheap aftermarket replacement and sending the watch with the new one installed. Keep the old one at home. The watch will come back with a shiny new bezel and you'll have the original too. Nice perk for resale if you ever decide to do so. Meanwhile, you'll be able to enjoy the watch with patina or like new.

I second the idea of exploring offerings from trusted sellers on this forum. But from whomever you buy your GMT, wear it often and enjoy! I know I do!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enlight84.jpg (286.8 KB, 430 views)
Old 11 May 2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
A few quick thoughts as someone who owned a 16710 for 15 years. First, it's hard to tell much from the photos you linked. When I sold my Pepsi, the pictures looked different - I'm not a professional, but in a way that's probably good as the watch's imperfections were clear.

I agree with you that the clasp on Watch #1 is not the original clasp.

My personal view, the premium that this board places on unpolished mass-produced watches is too high. Unless the polish job was botched, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Again, this is just a personal opinion.

Finally, if you like the new model as much or more, then I'd wait for prices to settle on the new Pepsi. In my view, it's a nicer watch unless you have an affinity for the old ones. I also think that prices on the 16710s are too high and that the MSRP on the new Pepsi is low.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:22 AM   #5
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
A few quick thoughts as someone who owned a 16710 for 15 years. First, it's hard to tell much from the photos you linked. When I sold my Pepsi, the pictures looked different - I'm not a professional, but in a way that's probably good as the watch's imperfections were clear.

My personal view, the premium that this board places on unpolished mass-produced watches is too high. Unless the polish job was botched, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Again, this is just a personal opinion.

Finally, if you like the new model as much or more, then I'd wait for prices to settle on the new Pepsi. In my view, it's a nicer watch unless you have an affinity for the old ones. I also think that prices on the 16710s are too high and that the MSRP on the new Pepsi is low.
I agree with everything you said. My 16710 is for me to enjoy, and I wear it almost every day. I very much want to try on a new one at an AD, but I'm fairly certain my 16710 is the model for me.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Personally not too keen on the older GMT 2 model.

Would rather go for the modern version — either the LN, the BLNR or the BLRO. IMHO these are to become future GMT classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 02:11 PM   #7
rolehex

I don't like any of those. If I was you I would wait for the new one, at least to see if you like it in person and on your wrist.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 03:40 PM   #8
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
#1 has a non-original clasp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
Clasp is perfectly fine/correct for that vintage (78360 bracelet). Several bracelet options available in that era.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Alternative_Facts
Banned

SO EASY!
#1 The clasp is garbage, this watch has been on the operating table of Dr. Frankenstein. Pass.

#2 Meh.

#3 No holes case, that's the one you want.

#4 which was not mentioned, given the 10k price wouldn't you rather get a brand spanking new BLNR with maxi dial and ceramic bezel *(that is what I would do with that 10k and a desire for a gmt master 2)
Alternative_Facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:13 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would pass on all three and find a current edition BLNR or another watch. The prices on these GMT's are inflated and not a value in my opinion. The vintage market opens up a lot of questions about a watch, ownership, providence, service, etc. With a modern watch from a reliable source you should not have any problems. For what the new Pepsi GMT will cost from a TS, I would buy a BLNR and the new Tudor GMT and still end up with some money. If you could get the Pepsi from an AD at msrp then that is a different story but that would be difficult.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:26 PM   #11
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan1987 View Post
So I called few sellers regarding 16710 pepsi dial in order to get the best deal for my money. Price was not as much of an issue as to get the one in the good condition.
I narrowed it down to 3 watches, please help me choose

1st. Price $8,100
Polished.
X series.
Comes with box and paperwork.
What confuses me is clasp on this one.
3 Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/TtPTjL1

2nd. Price $8,600
Polished by rolex dealer.
Comes with box, but no paperwork.
7 Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/MLjeHCh

3rd. Price $10,500
Hardly polished, excellent condition.
Comes with box and all paperwork.
The red is a bit faded, but I guess its ok?
3 Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/GwKiyhZ

I also called bunch of other sellers but thats the 3 I narrowed it down to.
When I got in a 10k territory, I started to think, does it make sense to wait few more month and just get the new 2018 GMT that Roles presented this year. I know I would have to get in on grey market with premium, but I rather pay 14,000 to 14,500 for brand new watch that 10,500 for older and polished model.
Now I am just confused, please help me out.
Thanks.
I doubt it will be as low as $14K for a while. With the popularity of this model, and the scarcity of SS models all around, I think the greys will be gauging us in the $16-$18K range for the first year. You might get it for $14K the second or third year of production. But then, you can put down a deposit with your AD and wait to pay RRP. With the money saved, buy something else to hold you over.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2018, 12:22 PM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I see there are some new bracelet experts here providing incorrect information to the original post.

As someone else mentioned, watch #1 is wearing a 78360 bracelet. The clasp is 100% correct - although over-polished.

Gentlemen, please be a little more diligent when calling something incorrect. Providing incorrect information here helps no one.

As far as choices go, based on #1 being a complete set and a classic tritium dial, I would go with that watch. Very reasonably priced and a replacement clasp for the over=polished one on it now is not that expensive - expect to pay $150 to $200 for a clasp and less for just the upper clasp blade with the coronet.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote