The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 October 2020, 06:50 AM   #1
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Thoughts on this 5513

I dont know much about vintage, looks over polished, have no clue what mark, maxi, ect. this is. Listed for 11k, no bracelet, ultimately if this is a good deal for someone it is on therealreal, they generally get things wrong sometimes in the favor of the buyer like a tiffany dial nautilus they sold for 1/2 market value. Wanted to throw it out if it helped anyone in the community.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513.JPG (43.4 KB, 303 views)
jbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Somebody posted this somewhere. I recognize those crown guards. Non-serif I suppose.

I once bought a nice vintage JLC Memovox on therealreal for a good price, but I haven't seen anything since then that tempted me.
Old 28 October 2020, 05:03 AM   #3
athom
"TRF" Member

How much time shall we repeat that one pic of the watch is NOT enough to give any real advice....send us picture of the engravings between the lugs, on both sides, nice and macro photo, back on the caseback, pic with UV light, etc...more you give the better expertise you give...

My only advice from now on with these elements I've, don't buy any old watch (specially Rolex) without any knowledge...
Old 28 October 2020, 05:08 AM   #4
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Is it me, or does this look like a redial? I know patina on the hands and dial sometimes don't match, but that dial looks cleaner than the hands...
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:10 AM   #5
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Is it me, or does this look like a redial? I know patina on the hands and dial sometimes don't match, but that dial looks cleaner than the hands...
Hard to confirm with one low-resolution photo, but you can still clearly make out some blemishes on the dial and the lume.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 05:37 AM   #6
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Anything great or undervalued on therealreal is shuffled off to insiders within moments. If the watch personnel ever didn't really know the watch market, they do now.
That said, returning items is simple, guiltless and risk free.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:45 AM   #7
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post
ultimately if this is a good deal for someone it is on therealreal......Wanted to throw it out if it helped anyone in the community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
How much time shall we repeat that one pic of the watch is NOT enough to give any real advice
I was not really looking for advice, title was to grab attention, i was highlighting an item i stumbled upon looking through a site that may not be frequented by others on the forum. I feel the picture was good enough for a vintage expert to know what they were looking at and then they could get more information from the seller if they wanted.

Make a post with good intentions on a small chance to benefit the community, then the picture police want to chime in.
Old 28 October 2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
I was not really looking for advice, title was to grab attention, i was highlighting an item i stumbled upon looking through a site that may not be frequented by others on the forum. I feel the picture was good enough for a vintage expert to know what they were looking at and then they could get more information from the seller if they wanted.

Make a post with good intentions on a small chance to benefit the community, then the picture police want to chime in.
Your thread title is: "Thoughts on this 5513". What were you expecting?
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 07:52 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
I dont know much about vintage, looks over polished .... .
Once you recognize that the watch has been over-polished, which it has, is there really any need to go further? Big pass at any price.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 08:18 AM   #10
jbreeden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Your thread title is: "Thoughts on this 5513". What were you expecting?
Quote:
title was to grab attention
I wanted to grab attention because on the small chance this was worth anything or could help someone i wanted them to see it and open the thread, a bit of a bait with good intention and at no harm to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Once you recognize that the watch has been over-polished, which it has, is there really any need to go further? Big pass at any price.
I have seen threads where people claim a dial or bezel is worth some small fortune, like i said i know very little about vintage just enough to know there can be some diamonds in the rough and the off chance i stumbled upon something i thought i would share it with the community.