The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2020, 12:30 AM   #1
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Snoopy - any chance for customer with nil history to get?

got in the wish list today but I have no purchase history, just wondering what are the chances?
maruchan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:34 AM   #2
greengold
Banned

pretty much zero at this point. A lot of people held off thinking they could get one 'next year' just because it's not an LE but this will be Omega's daytona in some people view allocation wise. My UK AD told me weeks ago 'we have 1000 coming to the whole group' he was referring to the Arum Group which supplies Goldsmiths, Mappin & Webb and Watches of Switerzland..the biggest Omega AD's in the UK to give you an indication.
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:35 AM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
got in the wish list today but I have no purchase history, just wondering what are the chances?
I would of said yes no problem if you had asked at launch, might be more difficult to get one now as they have proved very popular and lists are long but give it a try - until you ask you won't know.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 12:36 AM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengold View Post
pretty much zero at this point. A lot of people held off thinking they could get one 'next year' just because it's not an LE but this will be Omega's daytona in some people view allocation wise. My UK AD told me weeks ago 'we have 1000 coming to the whole group' he was referring to the Arum Group which supplies Goldsmiths, Mappin & Webb and Watches of Switerzland..the biggest Omega AD's in the UK to give you an indication.
I'm surprised they are getting 1000 to be honest, that seems a lot.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:37 AM   #5
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I'm surprised they are getting 1000 to be honest, that seems a lot.
You know just after I posted this I actually had a brain freeze on whether he said 1000 or 100..lol..I remeber saying 'oh wow' so may have been 100!!!
Old 24 October 2020, 12:40 AM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You know just after I posted this I actually had a brain freeze on whether he said 1000 or 100..lol..I remeber saying 'oh wow' so may have been 100!!!
I know my local AD with 3 stores is getting 6 pieces total.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:48 AM   #7
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I heard that my local AD chain is receiving 30 total between all 4 of their boutiques. Their order for 30 was apparently approved so they only took deposits for that amount.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 01:06 AM   #8
greengold
Banned

Another interesting point was the Goldsmiths website the day after launch allowed you buy it now paying the full £8250 right there and said 'delivery in 8-10 weeks'. The next day the option had gone and replaced with a 'register your interest' so I assume they had a specific allocation and once all paid up front that's it. It's the first time i've ever seen that type of sales format from them which is interesting to pay in full for a piece that hasn't been delivered.
Old 24 October 2020, 01:06 AM   #9
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, but if this require to pay a premium like daytona (or even half of daytona premium), I might as well get a royal oak!
maruchan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:25 AM   #10
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It depends how long is the official list in your OB, and what is your position on the wish list.
For sure they will reopen the official list sooner or later.
So if you are well positioned you will have a chance to get in.
Consider that the production rate seems to be very limited. For the first year the allocation for the US is estimated to be less than 500 pieces at the moment.
So the waiting time could be substantial.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:34 AM   #11
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think it was just a timing issue. Change day or or before, very little to none now unless they just open up production like crazy after the first run. Depends on how Omega manufacture decides to play the game IMO. Get cash now in short term or start restricting supply like everyone else.

Also FWIW, I think the watch is cute and fun, but I would rather just have a RO as you alluded you.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:43 AM   #12
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Ok... the question is: How many of these watches will Omega ultimately make? And the short answer is: We don't know.

Tim Mosso of Watchbox said on his Youtube video the day it was released, that Omega will meet demand because they (along with all other Swiss watch companies) were hit hard by the COVID shutdown (factories, ADs & Boutiques) and they need to make up for lost $$$.

But what is the demand? 10,000? 20,000? I don't know. I don't think anybody does. This is a SPECIAL edition watch, not LIMITED edition. Does that mean Omega won't limit production? Of course not. Every factory has it's limits. We just don't know what that number is and we don't know for how long they will produce it. Will it be 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? We don't know.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:47 AM   #13
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
I would wait and I hope no one will feed the greymonsters. Its gonna be hard atm but talk to your AD specially if you spent $$$$$ then the chance is higher rather than walk in without any history
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 02:52 AM   #14
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I placed 2k deposit at my local AD few weeks back, hoping he comes thru.
Old 24 October 2020, 03:00 AM   #15
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Ok... the question is: How many of these watches will Omega ultimately make? And the short answer is: We don't know.

Tim Mosso of Watchbox said on his Youtube video the day it was released, that Omega will meet demand because they (along with all other Swiss watch companies) were hit hard by the COVID shutdown (factories, ADs & Boutiques) and they need to make up for lost $$$.

But what is the demand? 10,000? 20,000? I don't know. I don't think anybody does. This is a SPECIAL edition watch, not LIMITED edition. Does that mean Omega won't limit production? Of course not. Every factory has it's limits. We just don't know what that number is and we don't know for how long they will produce it. Will it be 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? We don't know.
It IS limited production..the head of omega production confirmed that on a video. True no one knows but Omega but going from past releases I suspect this will run for 2 years with 5-10k pieces. You have to factor in this watch isn't easy to make with the new movement and animated caseback etc.
Old 24 October 2020, 03:07 AM   #16
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The assumption that they will meet demand doesn't make much sense to me.
The piece is in limited rate, the estimate for the whole market is less that 3000 pieces during the first year.
The largest OB will get anyway limited allocations.
The news from ADs i contacted is that they will have maybe 3-5 pieces in the first year.
The run of the reference will be "limited", this is not a reference that they will produce for the next 10 years. Just because it wouldn't make sense to to have a Snoopy 50th at the 60th anniversary.
Realistically if they go for a 3 years run, I don't think they will make more than 7000 pieces, that means that not everyone that wants a watch will get one.
Only the time will tell, but there are already some indications of how Omega is playing the game.
Old 24 October 2020, 03:13 AM   #17
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
As I said in my post: Omega will limit production. We just don't know how much. And I know they won't be making this version 10 years out. My point is we really don't know how long they will make this version.

There are waaaaaaaaay too many unknowns. We will obviously know more in the next 3-6 months. Stay tuned. I'm cautiously optimistic I'll get the call in 12-15 months. No surprise if I don't.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 03:14 AM   #18
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Thanks, but if this require to pay a premium like daytona (or even half of daytona premium), I might as well get a royal oak!
Lol good luck with that.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 03:33 AM   #19
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
so this would be 9.6 K + 6 or 8 K.
Hey if you can get a RO for 16-18K... you should get it!!!!!

Or you get on the official list, wait and get the Snoopy at boutique price. Better no?
Old 24 October 2020, 04:00 AM   #20
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Another interesting point was the Goldsmiths website the day after launch allowed you buy it now paying the full £8250 right there and said 'delivery in 8-10 weeks'. The next day the option had gone and replaced with a 'register your interest' so I assume they had a specific allocation and once all paid up front that's it. It's the first time i've ever seen that type of sales format from them which is interesting to pay in full for a piece that hasn't been delivered.
A friend tried the pay now full price with Goldsmiths and the cart stopped after he had verified the credit card payment with his bank!
Old 24 October 2020, 07:02 AM   #21
greengold
Banned

Quote:

He also said 'I expect the secondary market value on this watch to be 2-2.5x rrp' i'm not getting into appreciation debates but this alone should tell you it can't be that easy to obtain on that valuation
Old 24 October 2020, 07:04 AM   #22
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
A friend tried the pay now full price with Goldsmiths and the cart stopped after he had verified the credit card payment with his bank!
Yes I heard that from someone else too. I had the option but already put my deposit when I saw the add to cart option
Old 24 October 2020, 02:37 PM   #23
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

All fair except it’s highly unlikely they’re going to produce a 50th anniversary watch for 5+ years... especially one that says “50th anniversary” on it.

They are going to release a new snoopy every 5 years now. Omega loves limited edition, numbered edition, limited production, special edition watches. Snoopy 2 was 45th anniversary, Snoopy 3 was 50th, Snoopy 4 will be 55th anniversary.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:32 AM   #24
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
All fair except it’s highly unlikely they’re going to produce a 50th anniversary watch for 5+ years... especially one that says “50th anniversary” on it.

They are going to release a new snoopy every 5 years now. Omega loves limited edition, numbered edition, limited production, special edition watches. Snoopy 2 was 45th anniversary, Snoopy 3 was 50th, Snoopy 4 will be 55th anniversary.
I have a feeling that the next one will be in ten years, and they will play the market with this one. Omega clearly had a problem with discounts, over production etc. I think they did not expect the massive success of the Silver Snoopy, and in a weird way was out of their hands. It was a limited edition that surpassed expectations. So they made a new watch that is a limited production that looks close to the previous one but different enough, and they will milk it. I expect the next Snoopy to be in 10 years, not in five.
I could be wrong, I am just speculating.
Bosscheto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:37 AM   #25
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosscheto View Post
I have a feeling that the next one will be in ten years, and they will play the market with this one. Omega clearly had a problem with discounts, over production etc. I think they did not expect the massive success of the Silver Snoopy, and in a weird way was out of their hands. It was a limited edition that surpassed expectations. So they made a new watch that is a limited production that looks close to the previous one but different enough, and they will milk it. I expect the next Snoopy to be in 10 years, not in five.
I could be wrong, I am just speculating.

Agreed Omega had a massive hit with the silver snoopy 45th that they didn’t expect. The first Snoopy came out in 2003 and it was meh. Wasn’t successful in any meaningful way until the 45th came out, which drove demand for the 2003.

Now that it’s been incredibly successful, with both the 45th and 50th, I can’t see Omega missing a chance to celebrate it every 5 years, same as the Apollo 11. The Apollo 11 has been doing a release every 5 years for at least the last 6 iterations. Doing a refresh gives a way to drive demand and enthusiasm, and also allows collectors to keep buying along the way. I can see snoopy fans buying every snoopy every 5 years. This is milking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 12:43 PM   #26
nr1416
"TRF" Member

One thing is for sure, when these start to roll out constantly for 6 months or so. And if grey prices are at mrsp or below, watch how many people dont take delivery for the watch and drop off the list.

For me, I love everything about the watch and want it. But sadly for others that are speculators will bail on this watch of they don't see they can make a profit.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 03:51 PM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It will be interesting to see how Omega manages this.

The Snoopy Speedy has done wonders for Speedmaster line. There is an increased focus on the reference and it as essentially floated all the boats...

Now, does Omega show production restraint with this new reference and keep the supply below the demand or do they crank them out like CRAZY and they end up @ Jomashop for 30% off?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 04:45 PM   #28
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
Its not LE but special edizione so getting one is hard for walk in guys. I ordered mine and it will arrive around june 2021. Its a really cool piece so waiting is the way to go. Dont feed em greymonsters and wait for the hype to settle down dont rush.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:11 PM   #29
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
No probs in the UK, deposit of £4K placed a week or two back with no previous history with my local Omega AD.

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:41 PM   #30
Nicolamilton
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the country.
Spain Boutique, no problem, no history with them, and all through the telephone.
Received an email on Thursday announcing that they'll start receiving first pieces this week. And they told me: first bookings completely payed would be the ones that recieves them.
Payed mine in 15 minutes, so I hope I'll get mine very soon.

Last edited by Nicolamilton; 25 October 2020 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Mlre i fo
Nicolamilton is offline   Reply With Quote