The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 October 2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
1977 Birth Year Watch: What Would You Pick?

The title says it all. I'm all over the place re: what I want to get next, but one possibility is a birth-year watch. (I'm just barely sentimental enough to want this.) This isn't a query about whether to get one--it's a matter of what to consider getting if I decide to do so. When it comes to vintage, I'm much more familiar with Omega than Rolex, and I'm contemplating a Speedy or one of the funky Seamasters from that year, but I'm also thinking about Rolex too. It can't be anything too precious: my budget could stretch to 4k... maybe.

Right now I essentially have a one-watch "collection": a new Sub. So I don't think a stainless dive watch is what I'd be after---rather, something to complement the Sub. (For this reason, a stainless Speedy with a black bezel and black dial probably isn't the ideal choice.)

I'm not interested in full gold but wouldn't necessarily reject the idea of two-tone. And while I wouldn't go down to 34mm, 36 and up is just fine by me.

Wondering what the more knowledgeable folks here would recommend--? And any advice on what to look out for? Condition is important to me, especially in terms of function, but I should add that I'm not looking at this as an "investment" or something that needs to be flawless or never-polished or absolutely original, etc. This is something I'd wear (to give the Sub a break from time to time), and it's most important that it works reliably and gives me "that feeling"; if it has a few scratches or slightly rounded lugs, I can live with that.

Thanks in advance if you have any suggestions!

At the moment I'm sort of toying with a TT datejust. A Pepsi would be awesome too, but it's out range re: what I'm looking to spend. Not interested in Seiko or Certina or most other brands at the moment. Something that introduces a little color could be fun.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 11:58 PM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
With a budget of $4K you're very limited if you're looking for a vintage Rolex or even Speedy from around 1977. I'd say an SS Datejust is probably your only option.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:03 AM   #3
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
With a budget of $4K you're very limited if you're looking for a vintage Rolex or even Speedy from around 1977. I'd say an SS Datejust is probably your only option.
Yeah, starting to get that feeling. Just caught this one at Bob's (a TT Datejust), and realizing I probably need to open myself up a bit to... $5500.
Old 29 October 2020, 12:11 AM   #4
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Get a ss Datejust.
With 4k budget you can get a decent one.

A 1977, TT DJ is gonna have a bracelet that needs restoring (if you find one that cheap). I would not go that path, unless you hunt for head only.....and you pair it with a nice leather strap.
Old 29 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #5
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
I would be inclined to go something along these lines https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=1977 and put a nice alligator or ostrich band on it. Best of luck!!
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 01:38 AM   #6
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

DJ is a match for you -- best wishes!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 02:08 AM   #7
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I forgot to add. Since you mentioned other brands...you can get a very good example of a vintage gold Omega within that budget.
Old 29 October 2020, 02:18 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

A dress watch would certainly complement your Sub, so a DJ would be appropriate. And as Aaron and Mitch already mentioned, it's basically the only Rolex that meets your price and size criteria.

In general, 1977 isn't a particularly interesting time for watches. However, if you are willing to consider things that are a little out of the box, an Omega Flightmaster could be an option. Some people love them, and they actually wear better than one would think. I believe that 1977 was the last year they were produced.

Also, a Seiko 6139-600x chronograph would complement your Sub with a distinctive 1970s style, and would be even easier on the budget. One thing that is nice about Seiko, is that the year of production is indicated by the first digit of the number on the case-back, so there's not doubt, and you don't need an extract.
Old 29 October 2020, 06:00 AM   #9
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
I have a '77 1603 that I picked up for under 4k USD (equivalent) earlier this year, and I think that you would either be having to go for a TT model (as you identified) or risk it with something that might need a service. Mine is being serviced as we speak, and by the end the total cost will probably come to just under 4k. I was pretty lucky, I think, that I managed to get a full stainless DJ that was pretty good overall for a bargain, BUT it could've gone the other way too and be a lemon. There's no way I'd be able to buy the same DJ again for so cheaply, however.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 06:12 AM   #10
yukosaturno
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
I'd say a two tone datejust is your best option.

They're great watches, and being a birth year piece, would make for a great dress/special occasion watch.
yukosaturno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 10:40 AM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Ditto with the DateJust suggestion.

Some of the vintage Tudor models are also well within your budget and extremely nice, although not necessarily 1977.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 11:38 AM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Air King.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 12:29 PM   #13
Sherbie
"TRF" Member

Isnt the air king 34 mm though?

What about the speedmaster Mark range - a Mark 2 racing or the 4.5 would be within budget

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sherbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:33 AM   #14
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
IMG_3741.jpeg

Picked up this 77/78 this month from a neighbor who was selling a few of his older DJ's. There are nice ones out there, and should get for under 4K.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:04 PM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not really understanding the question.

You should start with an idea of the watch you want, then progress to year/style/cosmetics.

Seems like starting with the year is backwards, isn't that your given.
Old 31 October 2020, 08:24 PM   #16
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I'm not really understanding the question.

You should start with an idea of the watch you want, then progress to year/style/cosmetics.

Seems like starting with the year is backwards, isn't that your given.
“Birth year watch.” Can’t change the year I was born. :)
Old 31 October 2020, 08:50 PM   #17
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
You can’t change the year that is true but that will have a bearing on the cost of the watch older sometimes = more money your budget makes this a harder search and rules out other options,good luck with the search
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 09:50 PM   #18
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
You can’t change the year that is true but that will have a bearing on the cost of the watch older sometimes = more money your budget makes this a harder search and rules out other options,good luck with the search
Totally get that---and get that 1977 wasn't exactly a banner year for watches. I've been ping-ponging for years now about whether to bother with looking for a birth-year watch. Most of the options out there are either (as you say) outside of what I'd want to spend (having just plunked down 5 figures on new Rolex), or totally abhorrent to me aesthetically. I also always factor in the cost of a service for a vintage piece---which, using a watchmaker who's competent with vintage pieces, can cost several hundred dollars. So in my mind, a 4k watch is really going to cost me closer to 5k.

I am digging some of the 77 datejusts... I also like one or two of the Omega offerings from that year---even some of the quartz ones, though I'm reluctant to go in that direction.

Thanks for the replies so far!!!
Old 31 October 2020, 10:26 PM   #19
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

I'm also potentially interested in some of the very minimalist no-date options from '77, like this one:

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/oyste...id14396426.htm

I like the fact that it was serviced in '18---assuming it really is running well, that could allow me to postpone getting it serviced myself. I'm not sure what to make the of the bracelet---original? And to my eyes the lugs do look polished, but maybe not to the point of disaster... Welcome opinions, of course!
Old 31 October 2020, 10:32 PM   #20
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

...though it’s 34mm...
Old 1 November 2020, 09:50 PM   #21
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
...though it’s 34mm...
RSC serviced in 2018, so at least its authenticated! Good luck in your search
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 05:56 AM   #22
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
True, but you should start with the exact model you want (not a bunch of Forum guys), then you look for the best example of that model you can find, for the price you want to pay, for a watch in that approximate year range.
Old 2 November 2020, 06:23 AM   #23
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
True, but you should start with the exact model you want (not a bunch of Forum guys), then you look for the best example of that model you can find, for the price you want to pay, for a watch in that approximate year range.
Point well taken. To be honest, my main concern was not feeling overly familiar with what models were even made that year in the size and price range I want. Seems like Oysterquartz was introduced in 77 (?) but not sure I want to go that route. Leaning more and more toward a simple no-date OP, but still looking through options.
Old 2 November 2020, 06:49 AM   #24
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Honestly I would get an Oysterquartz.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 09:25 AM   #25
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Not a birth year watch, but 1978 was when I graduated from High School. My 1978 16013
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 DJ.jpg (172.3 KB, 186 views)
Old 3 November 2020, 03:46 AM   #26
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
An OysterQuartz in good condition would fit right in your price range. Some don't like them for various reasons, but I own two. I see one - maybe two a year out in the wild.
Old 3 November 2020, 03:54 AM   #27
doramas
Banned

Datejust
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 11:26 PM   #28
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
1977 Birth Year Watch: What Would You Pick?

Not a fan of birth year watches — particularly if limited budget. If I was looking for a Rolex for the late 70s with a 4K budget, I would look for a “Buckley Dial” Datejust.

Pics from the web.
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 02:39 AM   #29
Eric88
"TRF" Member

I'd save up a bit more and get a more iconic sports watch like a 1675, 5513, or 1680. You mention that you have a modern Sub though the vintage plexi Subs are quite different and very cool.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2020, 07:27 AM   #30
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
I'd save up a bit more and get a more iconic sports watch like a 1675, 5513, or 1680.
Those would be more than "a bit more." Maybe four to five times more than a 16xx DJ even for a mediocre example.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote