The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 November 2020, 01:11 AM   #1
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Are 1570 movements really bringing 2500 US?

I was poking around ebay today and was amazed at he prices being asked for 1570s. Is this real world? I'm not trying to buy or sell any just trying to keep up with values!
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 01:25 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know what the current market price is, but with the way Rolex is consolidating their parts accounts, and the value of vintage models, it makes sense for collectors to buy parts watches/movements.
Old 1 November 2020, 01:41 AM   #3
330ci
"TRF" Member

I bought this 2135 for $500 earlier this year and sold it for $700 a few weeks later. Completely fire damaged. Likely would’ve cleaned up fairly well, but was a can of worms I didn’t feel like opening, so passed that one on rofl.

People are pretty wild, I had a hard time getting $2k for a rough 1005 with bracelet a few months back though, I could see $1500-1800 for movements as that’s what I would’ve asked if I parted the watch, but $2,500 is a stretch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6392EB1E-2AF7-4EBC-A48F-B597ADB251C6.jpeg (114.2 KB, 234 views)
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:01 AM   #4
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

i recently parted out a watch and got about that level for a 1520 movement (was a 1970 5513).

On the watch itself, I made a few thousand dollars more than if I had sold it whole into a soft 5513 (at the time) market. Interesting experiment, and helped several people complete projects along the way. I wasn't in any rush and had some fun along the way.
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 02:07 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

You can ask whatever you want, the difference is what someone is willing to pay. I would go through the sold listings. What people actually paid is a much more accurate representation of market value.
Old 1 November 2020, 02:28 AM   #6
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
i recently parted out a watch and got about that level for a 1520 movement (was a 1970 5513).

On the watch itself, I made a few thousand dollars more than if I had sold it whole into a soft 5513 (at the time) market. Interesting experiment, and helped several people complete projects along the way. I wasn't in any rush and had some fun along the way.
That is really my concern. It puts Dates, OPs and rough DJs on the endangered species list. When you have watches from 2000 to 500,000 using the same movement it isn't hard to figure out whats going to happen.
Old 1 November 2020, 02:37 AM   #7
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
You can ask whatever you want, the difference is what someone is willing to pay. I would go through the sold listings. What people actually paid is a much more accurate representation of market value.
True but I'm wondering if this is one of those Rolexian moving targets that even month old prices are off. I've got a lot of them marked to see what actually happens to this current batch. I followed one from that Korean seller and it settled at 2055 plus 118 shipping, his stuff always brings less because no one really wants to play in Korea if they can find the same thing closer.
Old 1 November 2020, 02:49 AM   #8
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
That is really my concern. It puts Dates, OPs and rough DJs on the endangered species list. When you have watches from 2000 to 500,000 using the same movement it isn't hard to figure out whats going to happen.
Just the name of the game, with the way gold prices are going there might be another wave of parted out day dates coming as well
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 07:54 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Price a 1570 GMT movement (actually 1575). You'd be lucky to find one for $3500.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 10:33 AM   #10
waspy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post

There are literally millions of them out there so it should be quite a while before we exhaust supplies to keep our preferred models ticking along...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2020, 07:19 PM   #11
kwryeung
"TRF" Member

I sold my 1575 movement that I kept for 10 years for 3k USD. It is the average market price.

kwryeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2020, 02:14 AM   #12
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwryeung View Post
I sold my 1575 movement that I kept for 10 years for 3k USD. It is the average market price.

Was that a 1575 GMT or just 1575 date?

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote