The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2019, 07:29 AM   #1
DomM
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Daytona,GMT,SUB
UK GMT availability

Hi, I have a small Rolex collection and a supportive girlfriend who has offered to buy me a new GMT when we marry in July 2020. I have bought 3 Rolex from 3 different AD’s in the last few months which is certainly a mistake when it comes to being a valued customer. I’m on the waiting list for a new GMT at all three AD’s but I’m not confident that I will be offered one. Does anyone know if the white gold versions are more available than the SS GMT’s? Personally I don’t want a YG as they are a bit flashy for me. I think the white gold would largely be mistaken for SS? Does anyone have any pointers on this? I don’t want to buy on grey market...
Many thanks
DomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 07:33 AM   #2
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomM View Post
Hi, I have a small Rolex collection and a supportive girlfriend who has offered to buy me a new GMT when we marry in July 2020. I have bought 3 Rolex from 3 different AD’s in the last few months which is certainly a mistake when it comes to being a valued customer. I’m on the waiting list for a new GMT at all three AD’s but I’m not confident that I will be offered one. Does anyone know if the white gold versions are more available than the SS GMT’s? Personally I don’t want a YG as they are a bit flashy for me. I think the white gold would largely be mistaken for SS? Does anyone have any pointers on this? I don’t want to buy on grey market...
Many thanks

Wow settling for a WG piece because one cannot get steel. First world problems... lol

Congrats on your marriage and, even more importantly, congrats on a wife that will buy you a fricken gold gmt!!! She is a keeper for sure brother!!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 08:54 AM   #3
ibz_s_b
"TRF" Member

Firstly, congrats!

Secondly, referring to your title 'UK availability'...forgettaboutit!!

Even PM Professional models, particularly GMT's and Daytona's are extremely difficult to come by.

Submariners are easier though, the other week there was a full YG Sub bluesy at my AD.
ibz_s_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 09:15 AM   #4
DomM
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input that’s useful. Yes I am lucky that she will buy me a pm watch but I can tell you I have bought several pieces for her and I am on the losing side of the equation ! Nothing in life is free!
I have bought Rolex from AD in US and in UK. The pricing is better in UK thanks to Brexit or lack of brexit! With hindsight I should have bought three watches at one AD on not one watch at three AD’s!
Old 13 September 2019, 02:37 PM   #5
tHeTiMeTeLLeR
"TRF" Member

Chances of divorce is higher than getting a GMT master II in the next few years at an AD......you most likely will need to go to grey/2nd hand market to get one in the next 2-5 years at least !
tHeTiMeTeLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 09:38 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If the WG GMT is buyable then go for it. As it is a gift from the missus I would sell 1 of the SS and treat her to diamonds, holiday, car etc with the proceeds, best not to upsell the trouble and strife.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 09:54 PM   #7
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

Let me get this straight, you have a girlfriend willing to buy you a gold GMT and you’re telling THIS group? You better hide her until the wedding! :)
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:44 PM   #8
James Nye 1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114300 White
Wow..You are lucky.

Not seen any GMTs of any sorts in Kent & Sussex ADs in a long while..Good luck though :)
James Nye 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:55 PM   #9
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Looks like gray will likely be your best bet in the time frame presented. IF it has to be an AD purchase perhaps consider other models? Don't mean to put a dampener on things, but those are the likely current options.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:07 PM   #10
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Wow, since you can’t find a 10k piece, you will grab a 40k piece because it’s available! Good for you two to be in that position. You should be able to find a WG version in the US. Enjoy and congrats.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:08 PM   #11
WBA_Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
That really is good news to find a girl that'll buy you a full gold Rolex! That's a keepers! The watch also :)

2019 GMT II 126710 BLRO
2019 Daytona 116500 Black Dial
2019 Submariner 116610LV
WBA_Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:12 PM   #12
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomM View Post
Does anyone know if the white gold versions are more available than the SS GMT’s? Personally I don’t want a YG as they are a bit flashy for me. I think the white gold would largely be mistaken for SS? Does anyone have any pointers on this? I don’t want to buy on grey market...
Many thanks
And that's the whole point about white gold versions. They can go unnoticed from steel, but you definitely will know you're wearing a precious metal version when you put it on your wrist.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:15 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
And that's the whole point about white gold versions. They can go unnoticed from steel, but you definitely will know you're wearing a precious metal version when you put it on your wrist.
+1

its the same thing that comes up a lot

you need to decide first if you are buying the watch for you or for other people. You will notice, other people won't. what's more important? you or others?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:18 PM   #14
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
GMT eg BLNR or BLRO?
Extremely unlikely.....maybe look at a different model?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:56 PM   #15
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Go for the WG
Old 14 September 2019, 03:14 AM   #16
DomM
"TRF" Member

Yes I agree, I’m buying the watch for me and I really don’t want the attention that a yellow gold watch may bring, not that the YG isn’t beautiful it is. Buying in the US it a lot more expensive and availability at AD isn’t any better it seems to me.
Yes I’m not going to share my girlfriends info on here!! Thanks
Old 14 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #17
The Sub-lime One
"TRF" Member

WG sports also appear to be waiting list now in the UK. Not in the market myself but I’ve enquired for a couple of friends who have no AD relationship.
The Sub-lime One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 04:00 AM   #18
jonathon555
"TRF" Member

Was told 5 years minimum for a gmt when I asked the other day.

But with a good ad relationship hopefully months
jonathon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 11:05 AM   #19
drees
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Pepsi Mk3
Definitely WG Pepsi.

I'm hoping my wife of more than 25yrs gives me a WG YM when I retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:01 PM   #20
DomM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees View Post
Definitely WG Pepsi.

I'm hoping my wife of more than 25yrs gives me a WG YM when I retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn’t seem it the generosity of the wives that’s the issue, just the lack of supply!!

It would be ok if there was a proper waiting list but it’s just uncertainty. Yes I love the WG Pepsi but given the choice I think the meteorite face would win for me.
Old 15 September 2019, 02:42 PM   #21
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
UK is just as bad as anywhere else, I'm afraid. Stock levels across the Globe are low. Good luck with your search! Hope we see it on your wrist soon.

P.S - your girlfriend is a keeper. :)
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2019, 02:42 PM   #22
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
WG GMT master II currently has a distinct dial, either blue or meteorite. It won't be mistaken for SS by anyone who knows Rolex, they will notice you have the WG version. If you aren't in the spending category to be offered a BLRO or BLNR by your AD, I would by one on the the secondary market. yes price is high and many here claim they won't pay the premium. Stating it's not worth the premium, but no one has offered a plan to get one at retail short of waiting an unknown amount of time or spend on items you don't want and maybe can't afford.