The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner.
About to pick this up on the weekend. Want to check if this is legit

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. I'm about to pick this 2018 116610 up this weekend. It's purchased through an acquittance I know. The watch is from one of his contacts and my acquittance is a watch enthusiast aswell, especially Rolex.

His has a few Rolexes and AP, hence why I trust his judgement. But not 100% confident of his contact. Hence I want to ask you guys for help to see if this is legit.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Forgot to add this pic.

Old 14 January 2019, 10:41 PM   #3
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
From what I can see if looks good, the bracelet looks like it has been re-brushes which could be normal for a service. Does the Serial match the serial inside the rehaut? Does it wind smooth?

Most importantly how do you feel about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 January 2019, 02:35 AM   #4
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
IMPOSSIBLE to authenticate those photos
BUT if anything, looks suspect!
A
Old 15 January 2019, 06:56 AM   #5
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjohnhuo View Post
I'm about to pick this 2018 116610 up this weekend.
Looks OK (no red flags), but I'd want to put eyes/hands on it in person prior to handing over the cash. I certainly wouldn't purchase it sight-unseen based on those photos.

If you are going to pick it up locally, you might just consider meeting your friend at the RSC in Sydney.
Old 15 January 2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatExplorer View Post
From what I can see if looks good, the bracelet looks like it has been re-brushes which could be normal for a service. Does the Serial match the serial inside the rehaut? Does it wind smooth?

Most importantly how do you feel about it?

I'll definitely check the serial numbers to the case and rehaut. I think I'll take it to a swiss watch repairer to make sure it's genuine. The local RSC has very bad reviews with lots of people compalining repairs not been done properly.

Old 16 January 2019, 03:52 AM   #7
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
No way of knowing for sure unless you open it up.. The fakes out there now days are scary good!

The other question is.. What does he want for it? Too low of a number and it's usually a red flag. AD's don't have them unless you're on the "list" and gray dealers selling for almost 10k new and close to that preowned.
Old 17 January 2019, 11:50 PM   #8
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post
No way of knowing for sure unless you open it up.. The fakes out there now days are scary good!

The other question is.. What does he want for it? Too low of a number and it's usually a red flag. AD's don't have them unless you're on the "list" and gray dealers selling for almost 10k new and close to that preowned.
Well the guy wants 9300USD equivalent to AUD for a 2018. Definitly taking this and opening it up for verification. Keep you all posted. Will confirm tomorrow.

Old 17 January 2019, 11:55 PM   #9
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

The sub has been copied, replicated so many times ... it is one of the most counterfeited Rolex out there and some of their replicas are very well done. As mentioned, only opening it will give you the piece of mind.
Good luck
Old 17 January 2019, 11:56 PM   #10
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtecko View Post
The sub has been copied, replicated so many times ... it is one of the most counterfeited Rolex out there and some of their replicas are very well done. As mentioned, only opening it will give you the piece of mind.
Good luck
Even opening it not a guarantee.
The latest fakes have genuine movements!
A
Old 17 January 2019, 11:57 PM   #11
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
A
wow ... that is scary then ...
Old 17 January 2019, 11:58 PM   #12
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A
Yeah I saw some of those one somewhere. With partial genuine parts.

Old 18 January 2019, 12:00 AM   #13
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjohnhuo View Post
Yeah I saw some of those one somewhere. With partial genuine parts.

Movement is 100% genuine and untouched
Case, dial, bezel and bracelet are fake

But those get scary close
Old 22 January 2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Mrjohnhuo
"TRF" Member

Hi All, update, good news. Just came from a swiss watch servicing centre. They open the case and verified case, rehaut and inner mechanics and they confirmed it's genuine.

For $75, it's worth checking.

Happy with my new watch.

Cheers.

Old 22 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Good news you did it the right way. Now enjoy your new watch.
Old 22 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #16
jfigs82
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv on my left
Congrats and great bye. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Old 24 January 2019, 12:01 AM   #17
PRSWILL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Movement is 100% genuine and untouched
Case, dial, bezel and bracelet are fake

But those get scary close
WHERE are the counterfeiters getting genuine movements in enought volume to sell? That doesnt' make sense. I have seen some really good COPIED movements- but "genuine"? that's not possible.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:10 AM   #18
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
WHERE are the counterfeiters getting genuine movements in enought volume to sell? That doesnt' make sense. I have seen some really good COPIED movements- but "genuine"? that's not possible.
Look. I am not argueing with you.
These movements are 100% GENUINE
And are flooding New York.
so much so that WATCH CSA issued a warning to all members.

I have seen 5 pieces.
Unless you are living in an environment of buying or accessing ROLEX's every day, you have NO idea
BUT
Please do not implies I can not determine a genuine modern Rolex movement from a fake!!!!!
Old 24 January 2019, 02:26 AM   #19
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Look. I am not argueing with you.

I have seen 5 pieces.
Unless you are living in an environment of buying or accessing ROLEX's every day, you have NO idea
BUT
Please do not implies I can not determine a genuine modern Rolex movement from a fake!!!!!
This is brutal. I work in a family jewelry store, not far from NYC, and have been buying pre-owned Rolex from customers for years. I've turned down plenty for being fakes. I'm almost at the point where I have to stop doing it, leaving us with an empty watch case, because the thought of accidentally paying for, or even selling, a fake is killing me.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:30 AM   #20
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
This is brutal. I work in a family jewelry store, not far from NYC, and have been buying pre-owned Rolex from customers for years. I've turned down plenty for being fakes. I'm almost at the point where I have to stop doing it, leaving us with an empty watch case, because the thought of accidentally paying for, or even selling, a fake is killing me.
I agree and understand
Even I am shaking now, when I authorize loans or buys for Rolex.
But I promise you that many NYC (47th st) people got duped. They all think that genuine movement = genuine watch! Not the case any more.

I am happy to help you tell the difference.
a
Old 24 January 2019, 03:05 AM   #21
dhknola
"TRF" Member

It is crazy the fakes now have genuine movements...It's one of the reason I stick w 5 digit watches, the new ones seem like a minefield in secondary market and this AD glad handing is not for me.
Old 24 January 2019, 05:16 AM   #22
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSWILL View Post
This also seems highly unlikely to me. I can possibly see counterfeiters taking older real movements from less desirable or perhaps damaged Rolexes and putting them into fake cases for more desirable models. But new, pristine Rolex movements being inserted into fake cases? I would think this would take an inside person at Rolex to accomplish, and I doubt it could be done in enough volume to make it worth it.

Happy to be proven wrong, though.
Old 24 January 2019, 05:23 AM   #23
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZ View Post
This also seems highly unlikely to me. I can possibly see counterfeiters taking older real movements from less desirable or perhaps damaged Rolexes and putting them into fake cases for more desirable models. But new, pristine Rolex movements being inserted into fake cases? I would think this would take an inside person at Rolex to accomplish, and I doubt it could be done in enough volume to make it worth it.

Happy to be proven wrong, though.
:SIGH"
Look these are latest 3135 movements with bleu hairsprings
They are genuine 100% made by ROLEX

NOW
If you don't want to understand this. Let me sell you a DEEPSEA - James Cameron
I GUARANTEE the movement is GENUINE.
But watch is FAKE!

Now please try to be taught, latest info.
Would WATCH CSA put out an emergency Press Release if I was telling you nonsense?

I have seen 5 pieces! They have seen more, they even issued serial number
::SIGH""
Old 24 January 2019, 05:43 AM   #24
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
:SIGH"
Look these are latest 3135 movements with bleu hairsprings
They are genuine 100% made by ROLEX

NOW
If you don't want to understand this. Let me sell you a DEEPSEA - James Cameron
I GUARANTEE the movement is GENUINE.
But watch is FAKE!

Now please try to be taught, latest info.
Would WATCH CSA put out an emergency Press Release if I was telling you nonsense?

I have seen 5 pieces! They have seen more, they even issued serial number
::SIGH""
No need to be condescending or get exasperated or upset.

Would you provide a link to the press release? That would benefit everyone here. If not, perhaps you could explain how brand new genuine Rolex movements are finding their way into counterfeit cases en masse. That still seems very implausible to me.
Old 24 January 2019, 05:50 AM   #25
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No need to be condescending or get exasperated or upset.

Would you provide a link to the press release? That would benefit everyone here. If not, perhaps you could explain how brand new genuine Rolex movements are finding their way into counterfeit cases en masse. That still seems very implausible to me.
I get "upset" because you (and others) dont want to listen to the facts - instead of trying to find out you close your mind to the fact that counterfeiters will get better and better.
Especially while Rolex sports models demand such huge prices!

To answer your question
1) There is no link, it was an eMailed press release to CSA members (which our company is one)
2) I can not explain how the counterfeiters are getting hold of these movements.
I can speculate, but thats just my theories.
I can confirm that the movements are running to COSC and Rolex improved spec of +/- 2 seconds/day!

I note you dont want to but a James Cameron with genuine movement? Why is that?
"IMPLAUSABLE" or not - its a fact

A
Old 24 January 2019, 05:58 AM   #26
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I get "upset" because you (and others) dont want to listen to the facts - instead of trying to find out you close your mind to the fact that counterfeiters will get better and better.
Especially while Rolex sports models demand such huge prices!

To answer your question
1) There is no link, it was an eMailed press release to CSA members (which our company is one)
2) I can not explain how the counterfeiters are getting hold of these movements.
I can speculate, but thats just my theories.
I can confirm that the movements are running to COSC and Rolex improved spec of +/- 2 seconds/day!

I note you dont want to but a James Cameron with genuine movement? Why is that?

A
I don't want to buy a James Cameron at all, because I can't afford it.

Maybe you could provide a copy of the email. If it's a press release, then it shouldn't be confidential. That would certainly help me "find out."

I'm not closing my mind to anything, but when someone asserts something as fact, they usually back it up with evidence. That should be pretty easy for you to do, given your expertise. Yet, all you've provided are assertions. Perhaps they are well founded assertions, but they are still only that.

At the very least, has anyone informed Rolex about this situation? I would think they'd be alarmed to know that genuine movements are somehow being stolen from their factory to be used in fake watches. That would be an all hands on deck, red alert situation from their perspective.
Old 24 January 2019, 06:13 AM   #27
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't want to buy a James Cameron at all, because I can't afford it.

Maybe you could provide a copy of the email. If it's a press release, then it shouldn't be confidential. That would certainly help me "find out."

I'm not closing my mind to anything, but when someone asserts something as fact, they usually back it up with evidence. That should be pretty easy for you to do, given your expertise. Yet, all you've provided are assertions. Perhaps they are well founded assertions, but they are still only that.

At the very least, has anyone informed Rolex about this situation? I would think they'd be alarmed to know that genuine movements are somehow being stolen from their factory to be used in fake watches. That would be an all hands on deck, red alert situation from their perspective.
These forums are not to discuss fakes.

If you tell me how to let ROLEX know - I am happy to do it.

Old 24 January 2019, 06:28 AM   #28
JBZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
These forums are not to discuss fakes.

If you tell me how to let ROLEX know - I am happy to do it.

I think I have my answer, thanks.
Old 24 January 2019, 06:30 AM   #29
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:

I have seen 5 pieces.
Which models were they?
Surely you have photo-documented those 5 pieces, right? Let's seem them!
If they are truly "flooding" the market, I'm sure the sources have been identified by now (like all other suppliers of "super fakes" out there), right? So who are they? Where are they coming from? PM me if you don't want to discuss here.

I think the reason that your claim is a bit hard to believe is that genuine Rolex movements just aren't available in the quantities needed to facilitate "flooding the market" with fakes using them.
You can't just pop by your local RSC and say "I'd like to buy a complete 3135 please". Rolex will not sell you a single one, let alone bulk purchases to sustain a massive counterfeiting operation.

The only option then would be to source them on the secondary (used) market...In which case there are still not enough out there to "flood the market" with fake watches using genuine movements. I can maybe see a small-scale/one-man operation putting them together in limited numbers. However, the logistics and expense of sourcing complete genuine movements and retrofitting them into fake cases just doesn't make sense on the scale that the major counterfeiters operate at.
It is MUCH more cost-effective to simply clone a genuine movement, which has been going on for years (and they seem to be getting better with each evolution).

So, there really are only 2 explanations, IMO:

1. The scale of the "fake watches using genuine movements" problem is MUCH smaller than you (or "CSA") are describing.
2. The movements that some think are genuine, are simply really good clones.

Just my take anyway...
Old 24 January 2019, 06:40 AM   #30
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Which models were they?
Surely you have photo-documented those 5 pieces, right? Let's seem them!
If they are truly "flooding" the market, I'm sure the sources have been identified by now (like all other suppliers of "super fakes" out there), right? So who are they? Where are they coming from? PM me if you don't want to discuss here.

I think the reason that your claim is a bit hard to believe is that genuine Rolex movements just aren't available in the quantities needed to facilitate "flooding the market" with fakes using them.
You can't just pop by your local RSC and say "I'd like to buy a complete 3135 please". Rolex will not sell you a single one, let alone bulk purchases to sustain a massive counterfeiting operation.

The only option then would be to source them on the secondary (used) market...In which case there are still not enough out there to "flood the market" with fake watches using genuine movements. I can maybe see a small-scale/one-man operation putting them together in limited numbers. However, the logistics and expense of sourcing complete genuine movements and retrofitting them into fake cases just doesn't make sense on the scale that the major counterfeiters operate at.
It is MUCH more cost-effective to simply clone a genuine movement, which has been going on for years (and they seem to be getting better with each evolution).

So, there really are only 2 explanations, IMO:

1. The scale of the "fake watches using genuine movements" problem is MUCH smaller than you (or "CSA") are describing.
2. The movements that some think are genuine, are simply really good clones.

Just my take anyway...
Eric
You can believe what you want.
You can also try to dispel the facts that these watches exist.

You can also make your claims that these are "just good clones" - its fine to me

Of course I have photos of the pieces we have seen.
Why should I share with you? You already know everything.

In conclusion, I have tried to warn members here, as has CSA.

People can decide as they please
I wont respond further

I already stated one was a DEEPSEA (James Cameron) the others were a HULK, a BATMAN and Submariner.
3135 movement
I also have a ladies datejust (older movement) and its fake too
A
Closed Thread