The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2019, 12:26 AM   #31
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Never hurts to ask.

FWIW, I have purchased a non-Rolex watch via TS and priced 2 Rolex. I made a respectful offer on the non-Rolex watch and the TS accepted. Of the 2 Rolex models, one TS stuck to the price. While I was considering whether to buy grey or not, I found the piece at AD who offered a modest discount that offset the sales tax. On the other Rolex model the TS never even responded to my inquiry on the watch.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:42 PM   #32
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Without knowing when, or what watch (although I have a good guess) it’s hard for us to say what a fair price would have been. What I will say is that just because it was listed at $36.5, it doesn’t mean it sold at that price. The dealer may very well have already had a buyer at $32 before even listing and just did so to “set” the price for future business.

Which just goes to also answer the OP’s question. Yes. You can negotiate. They might say no, but you can always ask. They won’t be offended if you aren’t rude.

Edit: just noticing the OP’s odd choice of username now... Why on Earth would you pick that name?
I hear your point. And in all other instances I would totally agree but I know for a fact it sold close to asking, which is great for the seller.

At any rate, I'm not at all blaming the reseller. My point was simply for one to do their homework first to ensure they know what fair value is. Had I done that I too I would have negotiated a better price for the sale or held out for a fairer offer. I naively took the power seller's word to be true given his feedback. And to be fair the deal was smooth and trouble-free. However, it would have left a better taste in my mouth if he didn't say he would only make a thousand or 1500 bucks and just not said anyhting.

But your point isn't lost on me. So back to the OP - short of it is do your homework and make an informed offer. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:43 PM   #33
kitsgq
"TRF" Member

Delete repost..
kitsgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:59 PM   #34
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I always negotiate. I get at the very least $250 off just for asking. My best was $1000 off. And those are from the top Trusted Sellers on TRF and for SS Rolex. There is on seller I have tried to negotiate with a couple of times on TRF ( not a top seller ) but he didn't bulged, so I didn't buy from him, this was for a Tag Heuer. I don't like sellers that aren't flexible or willing to give a little, even if it's symbolic...
This is exactly how I feel. I will negotiate for almost anything. I just need to get a small discount or freebie. As you said, it can be symbolic.Plus, haggling makes everything more fun.

Watches, jewelry, wine, anything with a motor, things that go bang, furniture, etc
Old 24 April 2019, 11:50 PM   #35
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I've only made one purchase from a seller on TRF. Not a trusted seller, but a brick and mortar. But the same rules apply. I decided on a price ceiling that I thought was fair, made an offer below that, and the counter offer was around the ceiling, below the list price. Picked up the watch shortly thereafter.

Had a similar experience with a more well known TS a couple years ago, and we couldn't meet at a price that was good for both of us, no hard feelings either way. It never hurts to ask, just be prepared to walk away.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote