The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 March 2020, 07:58 AM   #1
flal
"TRF" Member

Finally got the call for a SS RO

Hey all. I posted here some time ago about how I was done with Rolex since it was so hard to get one without paying insane premiums. The community was right about how it was just a matter of time, and I finally have the opportunity to buy a RO stainless with a black dial.

This is the most expensive SS watch I’ve ever purchased, so I’m having some anxiety before pulling the trigger. Would love to get everyone’s take on this. I know a lot is personal preference, but hearing your reasoning would be super helpful.

I’m not one to sell my watches and the plan is to keep this forever especially since I’ve had my eye on it for years. The resale value is still in the back of my head. Do you still anticipate resale value staying at or above retail? I remember when you could get these at a discount, and it’s tough paying retail. But they’ve change their model to boutique only, so I’m guessing this is the new normal?

The Daytona has been a grail for a while, but I can’t get myself to pay the markup. A business partner may be able to get me that or a Pepsi (which I’ve also wanted since release) for retail or close to it. I’d love to hear thoughts on the comparison between the three. I know it’s personal preference, but your reasoning behind it would be super helpful.

Thanks!
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #2
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats. Which model you are getting?
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:05 AM   #3
SPeters79
"TRF" Member

If you get a Rolex, you will like it but still be looking over your shoulder at the AP.

In other words...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
SPeters79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:25 AM   #4
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Was in the same position as you. I bought the RO 15500 and boy I haven’t looked back. It is something else

A friend of mine recently obtained the new Pepsi, no envy at all
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:34 AM   #5
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Honestly, if you have a lot of anxiety over the purchase, it’s hard to recommend a buy.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:59 AM   #6
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

I just sold my black dial APRO 15400 to pursue higher horology. Very difficult decision to make, but a piece came in at a price I cannot refuse. No choice but to divest the AP.

If you are happy with regular, high quality watch making, the AP is probably the finest accessible piece you can get your hands on. VCO also comparable but the bracelet is more stunning on AP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ukbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 09:14 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Honestly, if you have a lot of anxiety over the purchase, it’s hard to recommend a buy.
As to this make sure you separate your anxiety into - is it over the watch or the purchase and resale experience? - if the former then you should pass.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 09:55 AM   #8
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Congrats. Which model you are getting?
Looking at the 15500. A bit bigger than I’d like, but my wrist is flat and 6.75 inches.
Old 15 March 2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Burlington
"TRF" Member

As per above - sound advice.

Don’t end up buying something you regret.

The AP is the most horologically outstanding of the watches you mention. However you must be sure to buy what’s right for you, not considering the second hand value as that may well fluctuate, especially given current economic events.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #10
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
Haha I’d have zero watches in my collection if that was the case! Always hard to pull the trigger, but have always been happy. Probably because of the amount of time I’ve spent obsessing about the details.
Old 15 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #11
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
As per above - sound advice.

Don’t end up buying something you regret.

The AP is the most horologically outstanding of the watches you mention. However you must be sure to buy what’s right for you, not considering the second hand value as that may well fluctuate, especially given current economic events.
That’s very true. Definitely don’t want to buy something I regret. Don’t get me wrong. Love the watch. It’s so beautiful. A bit on the bigger side, but still very much something I can easily wear. If I could have my choice in a perfect world I’d get a 39 mm, but still happy to have the larger on my wrist.
Old 15 March 2020, 10:03 AM   #12
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Rolex View Post
Was in the same position as you. I bought the RO 15500 and boy I haven’t looked back. It is something else

A friend of mine recently obtained the new Pepsi, no envy at all
Congrats! Which color did you get?
Old 15 March 2020, 10:04 AM   #13
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeters79 View Post
If you get a Rolex, you will like it but still be looking over your shoulder at the AP.

In other words...

I feel you. That’s exactly what happened when I thought to get a seamaster diver instead of a sub. Within 6 months I got what I really had my eyes on and kept thinking about post purchase.
Old 15 March 2020, 10:05 AM   #14
SPeters79
"TRF" Member

I had the opportunity to handle a 15500 black dial when I was in search for my Ti44mm. It's a beautiful watch, I cannot image you being unhappy afterwards.

SPeters79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 10:08 AM   #15
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et

The Daytona and the 15500 are very different watches. Both desirable but very different. For your wrist tbh, the Daytona is a better fit but you’ve got to try and see. The Daytona wears small for its size. Maybe try the smaller RO models. Those may work better.
Also the dials - the Daytona is busy, the RO is the opposite. Which one would you like to look at for hopefully a long time?
Have you tried them both and see what the bracelets feel like? Both are very comfortable but give wildly different feels.

Good luck and enjoy your new watch.

Old 15 March 2020, 10:20 AM   #16
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
The Daytona and the 15500 are very different watches. Both desirable but very different. For your wrist tbh, the Daytona is a better fit but you’ve got to try and see. The Daytona wears small for its size. Maybe try the smaller RO models. Those may work better.
Also the dials - the Daytona is busy, the RO is the opposite. Which one would you like to look at for hopefully a long time?
Have you tried them both and see what the bracelets feel like? Both are very comfortable but give wildly different feels.

Good luck and enjoy your new watch.

I have tried the Daytona. You’re spot on. It’s a very small wearing watch. I love the bracelet on the RO. Pictures don’t do it justice. I’m in love with the RO and I think I’ll pull the trigger. Just have to get over not knowing if it’ll be worth a lot less after buying. But I guess it doesn’t matter if I’m not selling :)

I wear my watches carefully but often, and while I’m not scared of picking up scratches just wondering if the bracelet retains that beautiful finish with time.
Old 15 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by flal View Post
I have tried the Daytona. You’re spot on. It’s a very small wearing watch. I love the bracelet on the RO. Pictures don’t do it justice. I’m in love with the RO and I think I’ll pull the trigger. Just have to get over not knowing if it’ll be worth a lot less after buying. But I guess it doesn’t matter if I’m not selling :)

I wear my watches carefully but often, and while I’m not scared of picking up scratches just wondering if the bracelet retains that beautiful finish with time.

Go on ahead and pull the trigger then! Wear it in excellent health.

Cheers

Old 15 March 2020, 10:33 AM   #18
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

I covet only one watch model seriously, and that is an AP15400/500. They truly are stunning in person. Swing for the fence!
Old 15 March 2020, 10:53 AM   #19
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:

nearly two years of wearing mine every day and while the bracelet has picked up plenty of scratches, i can definitely say that the incredible finish is still there. would it be better without scratches on it? sure. but for me the scratches don’t take away anything from it, i barely even notice them most of the time.
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 11:34 AM   #20
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
nearly two years of wearing mine every day and while the bracelet has picked up plenty of scratches, i can definitely say that the incredible finish is still there. would it be better without scratches on it? sure. but for me the scratches don’t take away anything from it, i barely even notice them most of the time.
That’s really good to hear. It’s really the bracelet that made me fall in love with the watch. So unique!
Old 15 March 2020, 11:36 AM   #21
flal
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts on future RO reale values? Thinking it’s going the way of Rolex? It’s just comforting knowing I won’t take a big loss if I decide to sell. I’m guessing based on used prices and the fact that they’re going boutique only will help values.
Old 15 March 2020, 12:21 PM   #22
Cdaddylutz
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
I feel you. That’s exactly what happened when I thought to get a seamaster diver instead of a sub. Within 6 months I got what I really had my eyes on and kept thinking about post purchase.
That made me laugh.
Cdaddylutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 12:44 PM   #23
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
If you meet below conditions

(1) You really like/love the watch
(2) Keep and don't plan on selling it
(3) Won't change your mind on (2)
(4) Financially secured to spend on non-essential luxury, esp given current conditions

Then go for it. Otherwise, skip. That's my recommendation.
Old 15 March 2020, 12:48 PM   #24
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Fully agree with Ben's recommendation above. On the watches themselves, IMHO, I would rate them as follows:

A) paying retail:

1- Daytona
2- 15500
3- Pepsi

B) grey prices

1- 15500 black (as blue has very high premium so in that case no difference vs. Daytona)
2- Daytona
3- Pepsi

Good luck
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 03:14 PM   #25
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
That’s really good to hear. It’s really the bracelet that made me fall in love with the watch. So unique!

it’s hard to get a good photo of what it actually looks like, either the scratches are not visible at all or they’re overly exaggerated…but here’s one photo anyways. most of the time they’re not visible, you gotta shine light in the right angles to be able to see them. (excuse the laptop, my place is pretty dark so i used the screen as a kind of soft box haha)

mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:43 PM   #26
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Hey all. I posted here some time ago about how I was done with Rolex since it was so hard to get one without paying insane premiums. The community was right about how it was just a matter of time, and I finally have the opportunity to buy a RO stainless with a black dial.

This is the most expensive SS watch I’ve ever purchased, so I’m having some anxiety before pulling the trigger. Would love to get everyone’s take on this. I know a lot is personal preference, but hearing your reasoning would be super helpful.

I’m not one to sell my watches and the plan is to keep this forever especially since I’ve had my eye on it for years. The resale value is still in the back of my head. Do you still anticipate resale value staying at or above retail? I remember when you could get these at a discount, and it’s tough paying retail. But they’ve change their model to boutique only, so I’m guessing this is the new normal?

The Daytona has been a grail for a while, but I can’t get myself to pay the markup. A business partner may be able to get me that or a Pepsi (which I’ve also wanted since release) for retail or close to it. I’d love to hear thoughts on the comparison between the three. I know it’s personal preference, but your reasoning behind it would be super helpful.

Thanks!
If you are very concerned about resale value, then go for the Daytona. If there is one watch that will hold up in value even in tough times it is the steel Daytona. I don't think there is another watch that can touch it for value retention over the last two decades or so. Maybe the steel 5711 but I doubt that too. It is also an iconic watch.

None of the AP's will come close. A jumbo possibly? A steel regular RO has zero chance. If this virus thing lasts for another 6 months they will be struggling to sell any of them. Liquidity is king in troubled times.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 08:50 PM   #27
ragsk
Banned

Just to add before anyone gets offended, if retention isn't the key deciding factor then I personally would go with the 15500. It is gorgeous and finished impeccably. I have one!
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 09:52 PM   #28
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
I would never choose a Daytona over RO. I would never even wear a daytona, value retention be damned. But that’s just me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #29
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeters79 View Post

In other words...

Haha, thanks for the laugh!

OP: I agree with what others have said - if you like the RO, and can afford it go for it. Resale price is all speculation.
Old 15 March 2020, 11:12 PM   #30
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Have you physically tried on a 15500? I ask because the dial design makes it wear big and with your wrist size it may look too big, and its certainly visually bigger than a Daytona. I'm not trying to put you off, just making an observation.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote