The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 March 2023, 02:27 AM   #31
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I’ve had this thought as well lately whether to purchase another watch or not. If I weren’t I would invest in S&P index funds but sadly I don’t think it’s the best time to put money into the markets in the short term. So I am looking for another watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 03:01 AM   #32
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

IF you intent to acquire a Daytona or a Zenith Chronomaster, then skip the Tudor. If neither is in the future, then get it. If you
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 03:09 AM   #33
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

If you like it, ask for a discount and buy it. They are trading below retail. If it’s for “investment”, don’t waste time on watches. The market is dead and artificially inflated at the moment due to Watches and Wonders discontinuation speculations.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 03:29 AM   #34
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanCho View Post
Tudors sell below MSRP gray, at least in EU and not that hot regardless of model.

I'd buy it at MSRP only if needed to invest into AD relationship for harder to get Rolexes.

Otherwise, no.
The FXD is commanding a small premium on the Gray Market in North America.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 04:30 AM   #35
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

If you like it on the wrist, then buy. To me the black looks better.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 05:53 AM   #36
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
If you like it on the wrist, then buy. To me the black looks better.
I think the black is certainly easier to read. I personally think the white dial is more aesthetically pleasing, but it's a little hard to read the white hands.

My biggest logistical issue with the watch is the snowflake hand being so large, it (depending on the time) can obfuscate the chrono dial for a longer than hands on something like a Speedmaster.

The watch is an absolute bargain though considering the B01 movement.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 06:23 AM   #37
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I think the black is certainly easier to read. I personally think the white dial is more aesthetically pleasing, but it's a little hard to read the white hands.

My biggest logistical issue with the watch is the snowflake hand being so large, it (depending on the time) can obfuscate the chrono dial for a longer than hands on something like a Speedmaster.

The watch is an absolute bargain though considering the B01 movement.
The snowflake hand and having a 45 min timer makes it tough to use for timing.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 08:09 AM   #38
blada4life
"TRF" Member

criticisms of your decision making process aside, i was under the impression the panda chrono is one of the hardest tudor's to get. not only because of hype/demand, but also limited supply of the movements that apparently Breitling controls distribution of, and currently uses it in their own watches as well. there were times that the watch was backordered.
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 08:31 AM   #39
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post
Perhaps I should’ve given more context. If one has infinite amount of disposable income then the decision making is easy. I like the watch, but I’ve also been saving up for another watch which I really don’t want to push back any longer. With the current situation with some watches like this Tudor, if it was easily available I’d easily pass and buy at a later date. When it’s not, it becomes a difficult choice.
Buy the watch and wear it, an easy decision.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 10:40 AM   #40
00st
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610ln
I think you should let it go if you are not convinced.
00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 10:42 AM   #41
Flipmarine2k
"TRF" Member

I would buy used and save money, If you like the piece. I’d only purchase from an AD to nurture or build a relationship to get a hard to get Rolex.

👑: 16710-GMT Master II, 16622- Yachtmaster, 18038 Day-Date, 216570 Exp II- Black, 116000 OP Red Grape, 16570 Explorer II Polar, 16750 GMT Master, 124060 Submariner, 16610LV Kermit, 116523 White Panda Racing Dial; Omega SMPc Tokyo, speedy 1861 Sapphire 🛡️: BB58 gilt. Cartier: WSSA0037 Santos ADLC Grey
Flipmarine2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 10:43 AM   #42
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
It doesn’t sound like you love the watch. If you did love it, you wouldn’t be asking or care about its level of hype.

Don’t buy the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 10:46 AM   #43
messikens
"TRF" Member

It's not a super desired model (no Tudor is), it just had a lift from the Daytona and all other Rolex models...

It shouldn't be hard to get this MSRP or below. If it speaks to you (and it's a great watch at an attractive price point) buy it. Don't expect to make money on it. Not sure if it counts towards purchase history either but alas...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 11:23 AM   #44
MangoTree1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post
Perhaps I should’ve given more context. If one has infinite amount of disposable income then the decision making is easy. I like the watch, but I’ve also been saving up for another watch which I really don’t want to push back any longer. With the current situation with some watches like this Tudor, if it was easily available I’d easily pass and buy at a later date. When it’s not, it becomes a difficult choice.

Thanks for giving me/us a context. So i understand you ways better. Alll i can say is, buy what your heart tells you and give a sh*ç about hype or availability. Nobody knows the future but all i can tell is, that Tudor is a very fine brand which is doing very, very well in the last 10 years, the Panda is in my eyes one of the nicest white dial chronos!

Flip a coin and listen to your heart!
MangoTree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 12:41 PM   #45
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Was too thick for me.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 12:45 PM   #46
Emery
"TRF" Member

You don’t even know what you want, and you expect people on the internet to know?

If you’re a hype buyer, then just pass on it.
Tudors are going back to being readily available, and Rolex will come after that.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 12:52 PM   #47
tenementhall
"TRF" Member

Aesthetically, I actually prefer this to the Daytona
tenementhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 01:03 PM   #48
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
criticisms of your decision making process aside, i was under the impression the panda chrono is one of the hardest tudor's to get. not only because of hype/demand, but also limited supply of the movements that apparently Breitling controls distribution of, and currently uses it in their own watches as well. there were times that the watch was backordered.
They started suddenly showing up in some quantity in early December which is when I bought a white dial model for my wife at my local AD. A grey dealer I like has three now, with papers dated late '21 and early '22. My guess is people got allocated them and thought they would ride them into the sky $$$ wise and flip them, but ended up selling when the market turned. Hopefully this will start happening to Rolex models too. Economic activity IS slowing. Both Target and Walmart reported in their recent earnings calls that people were buying mostly food and necessities and general merchandise sales were falling. Walmart actually laid off people at several non-grocery fulfillment centers in the last couple weeks. My local Walmart suddenly has PS5s in stock on the sales floor, and these have been online only and instant sell outs since they were released. It remains to be seen if this will translate into the well heeled retrenching and pulling back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenementhall View Post
Aesthetically, I actually prefer this to the Daytona
It's gorgeous, with a real 1960's vibe to it. The opaline white dial is stunning in person and my wife loves it and it looks great on her. Doesn't hurt my relationship with my AD either.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 01:25 PM   #49
Greenwood_
"TRF" Member

Have you tried it in person? I thought it was great aesthetically in photos, but found it very top heavy and thick on the wrist.
Ω Speedy Pro Moon Phase 3575.20
Greenwood_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 01:55 PM   #50
napashark
"TRF" Member

It’s a good watch, I was offered the white gold oyster flex Daytona and the Tudor Panda. I have an almost 8” wrist and the Daytona looked like a 39mm watch on it, ended up passing on the Daytona and going with the Tudor. If you have a smaller wrist pass, else it’s a great watch.
napashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 08:29 PM   #51
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I have had some intrest in this watch myself. But passed on it.
It's a great watch, But didn’t like the 45 minute counter. I prefer a 12 hr counter if I'm buying a chronograph. I get a 1 hr counter with my Submariner.

In the end it comes down to if you really like it. I'm NOT a investor/flipper. So it's your decision to buy or not. Ignore the hype, investment stuff. If you want it, Your heart will tell you.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2023, 09:53 PM   #52
tommm
"TRF" Member

So this watch is not hard to get. About a year ago I walked in off the street into a Tudor boutique in London and bought it with no appointment or anything.

I couldn't get on with it. I have large wrists but it was just too big. 42mm wasn't the sweet spot. If they had it at 39mm you're looking at a great piece.

If I were you, id buy at an AD, purely for the ability to return it without fuss. I had mine for about 48 hours and it just sat in the box. I didnt love it so it went back....

Good luck!
tommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 12:20 AM   #53
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's not a 'dilemma.' It's a choice. I would make that choice with my eyes shut, every day and twice on Sunday, but I can't (and shouldn't) tell you what choice to make.

When you say put your money in the short term, that sounds more like investment strategy than a watch purchase. You should talk to someone who's good with money about that.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 12:29 AM   #54
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Tudors are great. I’m unaware of hype and not influenced by it. I also like Panda watches. This is your chance to own a Panda dial watch which the white dial ceramic bezel Rolex Daytona is technically not…
Old 4 March 2023, 01:25 PM   #55
bestwatch1
"TRF" Member

If you're gonna wear it then go for it.
bestwatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 04:04 PM   #56
rolex_pl85
Banned

These are all under MSRP now.

Buy only IF you really love them. Otherwise big PASS>
rolex_pl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 04:17 PM   #57
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If it doesn’t tug at your heart strings, pass
This 100%. Not long after it was released, it tugged at my heartstrings and I got on the waitlist. I tried on a reverse version and thought it was too thick. But it still tugged. Then I got to try on a panda and it was too thick but I absolutely knew I loved it.

This past June, after a year of waiting, my wife surprised me with a panda Chrono for Father’s Day. I have loved it ever since and while it’s thick, heavy, and I wish it had on-the-fly bracelet adjustment, it’s a watch I will never part with. In fact, just the other day I was thinking that the thickness has actually grown on me a bit.

Your gut typically knows the right answer if you only stop to listen hard.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 05:53 PM   #58
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1982 View Post
If you like it then buy it. Simple concept really
This
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2023, 06:52 PM   #59
SB2600
"TRF" Member

A big yes from my side. Was also worried about the size. But now I love it … it sits just perfect on the wrist.
SB2600 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black bay chrono , panda , panda dial , tudor