The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 January 2024, 03:59 AM   #1
ShamRockNRoll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Considering a 1675

I've been trying to get myself a Pepsi (new) since 2020 to commemorate an important professional accomplishment. I am relatively new to this hobby and don't have a purchase history with an AD (nor do I intend to divert from what I would normally want to buy for my wife in order to start building a small one) so I figure this will probably never happen without going grey... Then I got to thinking that if I'm going to have to pay low 20s for a new Pepsi, why not just pay roughly the same, probably mid-high 20s, to go vintage for something with a little more story, and that would be more likely to retain or increase in value than today's modern versions which probably won't age.

I've always found the old fuschia 1675 to be very attractive and unique, so I've started a search for a quality example of one. Though I'm relatively new to watches, and very new to vintage, so I was wondering if anyone with more experience could offer any guidance for what to look for when seeking one of these. Any key things to look for, or ask to see, to determine the originality of parts? I've seen these with both oyster and jubilee bracelets. Were both period correct, and how would one assess the originality of the bracelet?

Thanks for helping a newbie
ShamRockNRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:57 AM   #2
FauxldMoney
"TRF" Member

Although I’m someone new here in the forums, I have loved Rolexes and specifically the GMT master Pepsi for a very long time! I will say, that the wearing experience of a 1675 versus the new 6 digit Pepsi is night and day. One is oozing with history and character, while the other is an incredibly beautiful piece of functional jewelry.
When you consider the function of a comprable aged Breitling Navitimer or sub compared to a Pepsi, it’s a tool watch versus a thoughtfully designed and executed timepiece for a world traveler… so the soul of the watch just *feels* different.

When you bring that perspective into the modern day, the new Pepsi GMT master is sort of an interesting niche for someone who wants a tool-type watch that can be dressed up and/or doesn’t want to be just another “sub guy.” Add in the facts that our phones have more travel relevant information on the lock screen than the watch can convey with all the twists and turns of the bezel and that the GMTs either come with Jubilee bracelets, or an oyster with a polished links, to me cements its identity/function as elegant wrist presence, rather than tasteful connection to the past. Of course the bezel color harkens back to yesteryear, but realistically it sure seems to be designed/marketed to be noticed, without the all-out flex of a Sky Dweller.

I think you can’t go wrong with either either… They are both so perfect in their own ways, but I think if you drill down to what you want out of this piece, there will probably be one obvious choice. Of course, you can do what most of us do…decide that you’re simply going to need to have both eventually :-)
FauxldMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 05:16 AM   #3
lupus66
"TRF" Member

If you want to pay midtwenties for a nongilt you have lots of choice with reputable dealers. Should be mostly original, in good condition and sexy.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 06:45 AM   #4
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
If you find something you like, post it here and you will have the greatest collection of experts assembled weigh in most likely. Also do a little research first. https://gmtmaster1675.com/ is a good site to start. There is a nice guide on this forum too for vintage in general and what to look for: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=353899
Advanced search on this forum specifying just the classifies for Rolex using "Fuchsia" https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=33805966
As I said post what you find here for opinions. Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 06:49 AM   #5
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Buy the seller - particularly with a vintage piece considering you’re new to the watch world. Lots to look out for. A/M bezel inserts, replacement dial/hands, relumed dial and hands, Frankenstein cases etc.

Best to do your homework and not rush into any purchases otherwise you’re asking for trouble.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 06:57 AM   #6
ShamRockNRoll
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
If you find something you like, post it here and you will have the greatest collection of experts assembled weigh in most likely. Also do a little research first. https://gmtmaster1675.com/ is a good site to start. There is a nice guide on this forum too for vintage in general and what to look for: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=353899
Advanced search on this forum specifying just the classifies for Rolex using "Fuchsia" https://www.rolexforums.com/search.p...rchid=33805966
As I said post what you find here for opinions. Good luck!
Thanks, all – very helpful resources here.
Old 12 January 2024, 07:11 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

For originality, you can either spend a long time studying and practicing and training your eye, or you can pay a premium to buy from someone who is really knowledgeable and trustworthy. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as a short checklist of questions we can give you. Most sellers don't know, and some of them are deceptive. Also, it's not always easy to know who is knowledgable and trustworthy.

With respect to bracelets, oyster, rivet, and jubilee were all used in different eras, with overlap. There are multiple variants of most of these. In general, there's no way to know if a given bracelet is actually original, but you can determine if it's plausibly original (some people say "period-correct") if it has the right reference and endlinks and is in the correct range of date codes. To make matters more confusing, there are now a lot of counterfeit vintage bracelets, so you need to learn how to identify them.
Old 12 January 2024, 10:03 AM   #8
FauxldMoney
"TRF" Member

I reread my post and it seems very biased toward the 1675, so I’ll just add that for my application (weekly travel, non office type), the newer 6 digit references fit the bill. The newer references enable the ability to quick set the date if I haven’t worn the watch in a week, the 24 hour hand can stay on UTC (Zulu time) while I can change it the hour hand independently and the ceramic bezel can really a beating, are all indespensible features for me. However, if this is a daily wear, or something you arent using specifically for travel, then I’d lean toward the older reference.
FauxldMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:54 PM   #9
TimeLord2

If looking for a Fuchsia then it is a 1675. That said, be prepared for turning the watch through 24 hours to change the date. It also does have a GMT hand but is not a "caller" or a "traveler" watch. The GMT had just tracks 24 hours or 12 hours slower than the hour hand. There is no setting the GMT hand or Hour hand to indicate a new time zone like the later model GMT Master II 16710, if I am not mistaken, which does have a jump hour hand. Setting your time zone for the 1675 is a function of adjusting the rotating bezel—that is it! Basically 2 time zones. One read off the bezel the other off the dial.
Old 12 January 2024, 01:03 PM   #10
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
If looking for a Fuchsia then it is a 1675. That said, be prepared for turning the watch through 24 hours to change the date. It also does have a GMT hand but is not a "caller" or a "traveler" watch. The GMT had just tracks 24 hours or 12 hours slower than the hour hand. There is no setting the GMT hand or Hour hand to indicate a new time zone like the later model GMT Master II 16710, if I am not mistaken, which does have a jump hour hand. Setting your time zone for the 1675 is a function of adjusting the rotating bezel—that is it! Basically 2 time zones. One read off the bezel the other off the dial.
Agreed. While I love the 1675 and all it's vintage charm the 16710 is a much better choice if worn on a daily basis, IMHO.

Either way, best of luck & buy the seller!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 04:12 PM   #11
lupus66
"TRF" Member

16710 lacks all vintage charm
then go buy a timex
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 05:21 PM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
If you like the modern ceramic chunky cased 116710/126710 BLRO (bleu/rouge) pieces, then the thicker vintage 16760 GMT2 (modified on the then sea-dweller milled block, I was advised by a factory chap), is the most like it.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:35 PM   #13
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The vintage market is a minefield and ownership can be challenging at the best. As you do your research look at the cost of service and the availability of spare parts and who will work on the watch. I have owned a lot of vintage pieces over the years and have found them to be at best, for me, a disappointment. I did the same thing with vintage cars. The current modern BLRO, Pepsi, is a great watch and is very robust in your ability to go and do most things with it. A vintage piece, not so much. You can get a nice BLRO for around 20k that you can wear and make it into vintage over the years. That is the course I would follow. If you want a vintage looking Pepsi go for a Tudor, save 25k and still have a great watch that is wearable. Just my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200312_093411 (002).jpg (247.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 20200401_135920 (002).jpg (229.8 KB, 142 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 02:00 AM   #14
ShamRockNRoll
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for the many perspectives.

I agree, the modern 126710 is beautiful and functional, and realistically I would like both in my collection down the line.

I'm just very attracted to the fuschia versions of the 1675. I wouldn't get any other. My desire for this specific reference is admittedly very much style over function for me. It just looks beautiful (to me) and I would love wearing it.

Someone suggested getting the 126710 and "making it" vintage over the years – I agree with the sentiment, I do want to get one, but isn't one of the aspects of these modern watches that they're made so well they aren't really going to "age" in the way today's vintage pieces have? I kind of feel the 126710s will depreciate (at least from their current grey prices) over the years where as a 1675 will hold its value at least...

But I'm not looking at either as an investment... I just think I feel better about paying that much for the beautiful vintage piece than essentially admitting defeat to the ADs and overpaying for new.

Either way, I'll probably eventually own both... one this year, and one in a few years. Just haven't quite decided which to pull the trigger on first, but figured I should start the search, and education, on the 1675 now.
Old 13 January 2024, 03:22 AM   #15
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRockNRoll View Post
Thank you for the many perspectives.

I agree, the modern 126710 is beautiful and functional, and realistically I would like both in my collection down the line.

I'm just very attracted to the fuschia versions of the 1675. I wouldn't get any other. My desire for this specific reference is admittedly very much style over function for me. It just looks beautiful (to me) and I would love wearing it.

Someone suggested getting the 126710 and "making it" vintage over the years – I agree with the sentiment, I do want to get one, but isn't one of the aspects of these modern watches that they're made so well they aren't really going to "age" in the way today's vintage pieces have? I kind of feel the 126710s will depreciate (at least from their current grey prices) over the years where as a 1675 will hold its value at least...

But I'm not looking at either as an investment... I just think I feel better about paying that much for the beautiful vintage piece than essentially admitting defeat to the ADs and overpaying for new.

Either way, I'll probably eventually own both... one this year, and one in a few years. Just haven't quite decided which to pull the trigger on first, but figured I should start the search, and education, on the 1675 now.
Both. Solid answer.
I have tried on the newer CHNR and BLNR and found them to be smaller than they looks in pictures. Would love to have one of those too but would like to keep my 1675/3 at the same time. Even though my dad, who gave it to me, keeps telling me to sell it. He thinks I'm too sentimental. Hahahahha! Definitely try both on before you purchase.