The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 30 December 2020, 12:55 AM   #1
sla07
"TRF" Member

Aviator 8 Curtis Warhawk

New to this section of the forum...I came across the green aviator 8 Curtiss Warhawk watch and instantly loved it...I can’t seem to find much info online in terms of reviews (only 3-4 different reviews) but nothing in terms of forums or users with their day to day review/use...does anyone here have thoughts on that watch? The one I saw was this guy - https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watc...=M173152A1L1X2

Another question I have is regarding price. I’m not really familiar with Breitling other than the name...do folks pay retail for these types of watches or do you use a forum approved vendor and buy it through them at a discount? Or ? Any help would be appreciated!
sla07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 01:12 AM   #2
sla07
"TRF" Member

Oh, currently I wear a 42mm expII as my daily the last couple years...
Old 30 December 2020, 03:17 AM   #3
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

I came close to buying one a year ago. I really like the green dial and strap and the black DLC case. If it had an in house movement I would have jumped on it. I didn't really want to spend that much on an ETA movement. That being said, it is still on my radar and I may get it one day.

Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:20 AM   #4
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Doesnt the chrono version have a b01 in house?
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 03:25 AM   #5
sla07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
I came close to buying one a year ago. I really like the green dial and strap and the black DLC case. If it had an in house movement I would have jumped on it. I didn't really want to spend that much on an ETA movement. That being said, it is still on my radar and I may get it one day.

We must come from a similar mold! I really do like the green strap and black DLC case!! I instantly gravitated to it when I was looking at the spread of watches in the case which is odd for me, given it’s green and not normally a color I would go after! That said, it looks like a watch I would use daily in Seattle that maintains a bit of subtleness as compared to the expII...

As for the movement, honestly it doesn’t affect me too much personally...but from what I have read already in addition to your comment, the price for this watch for that movement seems a bit high...

Decisions decisions...i pinged davidsw (forum vendor) to see if he carried this one or had seen it cross his plate...so I’m pending his reply as well to gauge price...
Old 30 December 2020, 03:25 AM   #6
sla07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
I read it does...this one is the only one of the three that is not in house...
Old 30 December 2020, 03:28 AM   #7
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, the chrono B01 has the in house movement (the one on the right). I didn't like the white subdials on it though.

There is also the chronograph with the green subdials, but that is a modified ETA as well.

Old 30 December 2020, 03:31 AM   #8
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla07 View Post
I read it does...this one is the only one of the three that is not in house...
Actually the Aviator 8 Chrono (not the B01) has the Breitling 13 movement which is a modified ETA movement.
The non chrono we are discussing has the Breitling 17 modified ETA, and finally the Aviator 8 B01 with the white subdials is the only one with an in house movement (Breitling B01 movement).
Old 30 December 2020, 03:35 AM   #9
sla07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Actually the Aviator 8 Chrono (not the B01) has the Breitling 13 movement which is a modified ETA movement.
The non chrono we are discussing has the Breitling 17 modified ETA, and finally the Aviator 8 B01 with the white subdials is the only one with an in house movement (Breitling B01 movement).
Ah gotcha! I misread it...
Old 30 December 2020, 03:36 AM   #10
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We must come from a similar mold! I really do like the green strap and black DLC case!! I instantly gravitated to it when I was looking at the spread of watches in the case which is odd for me, given it’s green and not normally a color I would go after! That said, it looks like a watch I would use daily in Seattle that maintains a bit of subtleness as compared to the expII...

As for the movement, honestly it doesn’t affect me too much personally...but from what I have read already in addition to your comment, the price for this watch for that movement seems a bit high...

Decisions decisions...i pinged davidsw (forum vendor) to see if he carried this one or had seen it cross his plate...so I’m pending his reply as well to gauge price...
I was instantly drawn to it as well. If they had given me a nice discount I would have bought it. But for an ETA movement, I felt the price was a little more than I wanted to pay.
Old 1 January 2021, 01:25 PM   #11
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I like that watch a lot and when I first saw it, it was the first Breitling I ever liked. But when I headed over to their website I saw the Breitling Aviator 8 Day & Date 41 in blue and decided that’s probably going to be my first Breitling. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet though and there is definitely something about the Warhawk that makes me reconsider that choice a lot just not sure how versatile it would be compared to the blue.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 10:55 AM   #12
sla07
"TRF" Member

Well, I dove into it!! A big thanks to DAVIDSW and his support!! He is a fantastic forum vendor and the transaction was extremely simple and direct. I have never purchased through a forum vendor (only an AD before for my expII) but this is probably the only path I will take moving forward. If anyone is on the cusp of whether they should go that path or not, absolutely do your research but I have had an extraordinary experience!! Thanks again DAVIDSW!!!

Attached are a couple of pics..one with my expII

Old 8 January 2021, 11:01 AM   #13
sla07
"TRF" Member

and i just realized i cant actually attach pics...i'll figure it out and post later on...
Old 8 January 2021, 11:37 AM   #14
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Congratulations on the new watch. I hope you enjoy it. Please follow up with your thoughts after a few weeks of wearing it. I’m pretty sure my next watch with be from that line. Still debating the model.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 01:26 PM   #15
sla07
"TRF" Member

Old 8 January 2021, 01:27 PM   #16
sla07
"TRF" Member

Ugh I’ve no idea why images are not posting...
Old 8 January 2021, 04:45 PM   #17
sla07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ugh I’ve no idea why images are not posting...
Trying this again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C67F4A52-771E-4F42-B51E-161E54AA40CB.jpeg (91.5 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpeg 02743A4C-44C6-4308-874D-3F2BFD61BEF4.jpeg (96.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 9 January 2021, 03:17 AM   #18
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats! Enjoy it!
Old 4 March 2021, 04:00 AM   #19
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
You can actually get them either way, B13 or B01 Of course the sub dial lay out differs. B13 is 6-9-12 and the B01 is 9-6-3.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 09:56 PM   #20
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I would not be concerned with the ETA modified movement. I have been wearing a Superocean with the Breitling 17 movement and it has consistently run at +1 since I have owned it. Actually as accurate or better than any of my Rolex. Maybe I just got lucky, but I would not discount the purchase based on the movement in this case.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 10:44 AM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
I would not be concerned with the ETA modified movement. I have been wearing a Superocean with the Breitling 17 movement and it has consistently run at +1 since I have owned it. Actually as accurate or better than any of my Rolex. Maybe I just got lucky, but I would not discount the purchase based on the movement in this case.
My 42 SO black dial, the one I wear 24/7 for the last 35 days. It's now 10 seconds fast TOTAL. If my math is correct, that's .277 seconds fast per day.(B17) I wound up 2 others and put them on a winder. Ones averages +1 spd. And the other .5 spd

I have no idea what Breitling does to the Sellita SW200-1, but it works very well. They switched to Sellita about a year and a half ago. Way better time keeping than the ETA ( B17) in my opinion. Don't care as long as it runs this good. Heck, that's better than my Omega or Rolex's. And I thought my AT8900 was accurate!
Old 7 March 2021, 01:04 PM   #22
Camdamonium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot DepecheMode
Congrats, enjoy!!! The green looks awesome.

And will also input like multiple other forum users, don't discount Breitlings for using ETA or Sellita movements! They consistently perform fantastic timekeeping wise if they undergo routine maintenance as expected. And even if you don't do maintenance, Like Rolexes and other brands etc some go 15-20 years keeping close to perfect time... Breitling wouldn't use the ETAs and Sellitas unless they were tried and true.
Camdamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2021, 01:28 PM   #23
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdamonium View Post
Congrats, enjoy!!! The green looks awesome.

And will also input like multiple other forum users, don't discount Breitlings for using ETA or Sellita movements! They consistently perform fantastic timekeeping wise if they undergo routine maintenance as expected. And even if you don't do maintenance, Like Rolexes and other brands etc some go 15-20 years keeping close to perfect time... Breitling wouldn't use the ETAs and Sellitas unless they were tried and true.
I totally agree, I have owned chronometer grade movements all my life. I have never noticed any difference between who's house they came from. In fact I seam to read more about problems with the new "in house " from other brands more so than from sellita or ETA. They are tough movements, always have been. And half the cost to have factory serviced.
Old 8 March 2021, 06:57 AM   #24
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the Warhawk, it’s a great watch!

Regarding Breitling’s use of ETA/Sellita movements - I actually prefer that to in house movements. If you actually keep your watches long enough to service them, like I do, serviceability is a real thing to consider. Any watchmaker can easily service, regulate and get parts for ETA movements. With in-house movements you need to bring them to Breitling and are at their mercy price-wise, and I’ve heard mixed reviews regarding their customer service.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 09:15 AM   #25
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Congrats on the Warhawk, it’s a great watch!

Regarding Breitling’s use of ETA/Sellita movements - I actually prefer that to in house movements. If you actually keep your watches long enough to service them, like I do, serviceability is a real thing to consider. Any watchmaker can easily service, regulate and get parts for ETA movements. With in-house movements you need to bring them to Breitling and are at their mercy price-wise, and I’ve heard mixed reviews regarding their customer service.
Mixed reviews on Breitling service? Please elaborate, on my new watches I was planning on having Breitling perform all the services.. mainly because they will replace my gaskets with factory parts and most places don't have the equipment to pressure test them to the depth a Superocean is rated for.
Old 8 March 2021, 11:54 AM   #26
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
Mixed reviews on Breitling service? Please elaborate, on my new watches I was planning on having Breitling perform all the services.. mainly because they will replace my gaskets with factory parts and most places don't have the equipment to pressure test them to the depth a Superocean is rated for.
I have no first-hand experience, so I can’t elaborate. What I’ve heard is just from forum talk, and everyone will always post both good and bad experiences, so I take it with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, I always know what I’m getting with my local independent guy, so I stick with him when possible. I didn’t intend to bash Breitling service, especially without having any personal experience with it, so I’m sorry if it came across that way.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote