The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2021, 09:34 AM   #1
LA-RealEstateAgent
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk And Gold Sub
Code 1159

So I'm thinking about ordering the code 1159 chronograph in either purple or blue with rose gold case.

My local boutique has it in blue but said the purple is currently unavailable.

I'm wondering what you guys think about the watch? At $47,600 its a big chunk of change.
LA-RealEstateAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:59 AM   #2
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
It’s an absolutely gorgeous watch. The Chrono Code dial is a bit “busy” and that’s my only complaint. I’d get Blue as the purple is really loud. If loud is your thing and you can rock it though, get it as it’s a unique look.

I won’t sugarcoat it though...it’s a big chunk of change and for $50k with tax it’s a bit of a tough pill to swallow. You’ll take a huge bath if you try and get out of it...Like a $20,000 bath.

If you love the watch and you will keep it long term, get it. But I’d parlay this with also getting a commitment from the AD for some sort of Royal Oak.
Old 26 January 2021, 10:10 AM   #3
LA-RealEstateAgent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
It’s an absolutely gorgeous watch. The Chrono Code dial is a bit “busy” and that’s my only complaint. I’d get Blue as the purple is really loud. If loud is your thing and you can rock it though, get it as it’s a unique look.

I won’t sugarcoat it though...it’s a big chunk of change and for $50k with tax it’s a bit of a tough pill to swallow. You’ll take a huge bath if you try and get out of it...Like a $20,000 bath.

If you love the watch and you will keep it long term, get it. But I’d parlay this with also getting a commitment from the AD for some sort of Royal Oak.
I was absolutely going to ask about being promised a 15500 along with the purchase. And yes I agree its very loud, I'd tone it down by replacing the strap with a black one. I generally wouldn't go for a purple dial but I think it being so unique is really impressive.
Old 26 January 2021, 10:24 AM   #4
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Yes. Ask for a blue dial 15500. I wouldn’t settle for anything less unless you really (really) like the Code or you prefer another dial color on the 15500. Getting a Royal Oak allocation is a must if you’re getting the Chrono.
Old 26 January 2021, 10:37 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
man id rather just get a 15500or and not buy the code. just me.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:39 AM   #6
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Yes. Ask for a blue dial 15500. I wouldn’t settle for anything less unless you really (really) like the Code or you prefer another dial color on the 15500. Getting a Royal Oak allocation is a must if you’re getting the Chrono.
I would force them to take my deposit for the 15500 already and conf. something in writing via email. Of course technically they can weasel out of it but at least it's something.

I bought a 42mm ROO on the spot over a year ago at the boutique in vegas because they said 15500 black within 12 months no problem - well it never happened. At least I bought it before 3 price increases in Dec 2019 :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

I’m a little biased, but I’d say go for it! Especially if it means unlocking another piece you’re interested in.

Have you seen the blue and purple in person? I was honestly a little disappointed with how dark the purple was compared to the photos, but I think it’s really dependent on lighting.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:23 PM   #8
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I can't argue, the chrono is beautiful and I do like it. The style, craftsmanship and detail is superb. But as you said, 47k is hefty, hefty. I don't know if you would "lose" 20k. But I think it would be a difficult piece to move without losing a fair amount if you need be it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 04:31 AM   #9
LA-RealEstateAgent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
I can't argue, the chrono is beautiful and I do like it. The style, craftsmanship and detail is superb. But as you said, 47k is hefty, hefty. I don't know if you would "lose" 20k. But I think it would be a difficult piece to move without losing a fair amount if you need be it.

What color is your dial? That's beautiful
Old 27 January 2021, 04:32 AM   #10
LA-RealEstateAgent
"TRF" Member

I haven't seen it in person yet. I could definitely see it being darker in person though/
Old 27 January 2021, 04:48 AM   #11
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-RealEstateAgent View Post
I haven't seen it in person yet. I could definitely see it being darker in person though/

Lighting is everything on these new lacquered dials. Here’s another pic of my smoked grey in direct sunlight

FYI it’s ref 26393CR.OO.A002CR.01.

Old 27 January 2021, 05:09 AM   #12
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-RealEstateAgent View Post
What color is your dial? That's beautiful
Unfortunately not mine, I tried it on the other day when I got the Diver.

Old 27 January 2021, 05:18 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

you know how a lot of people say the daytona is not a 25k watch and not worth the market value?!?!? The chrono code doesn't look like 47k watch at all. cool for about 50% of retail.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:43 AM   #14
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I would rather get 26331OR with full rose gold bracelet.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:50 AM   #15
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
you know how a lot of people say the daytona is not a 25k watch and not worth the market value?!?!? The chrono code doesn't look like 47k watch at all. cool for about 50% of retail.
I sort of agree... A LOT of amazing pieces you can get for 47k.

Others have said to use this purchase to swing a RO and if that is what you want to do, I suggest going for a heavy hitter RO.

The 15500 (excluding blue) is easy enough to get at retail if you are persistent and don't mind waiting 6-18 months without previous buying history.

If the plan is to use this to move into other pieces I wouldn't take anything less than a 15500 Blue dial. If the SA promises you black or silver 15500 to close the deal, they are probably snickering to themselves after you leave.

I personally think the CODE line does a lot of things right and I do like some of the models. I think the big issue is that these just don't look like 50k watches and I primarily blame the dials for this.

There is zero AP DNA in those dials or at least what others think of when they think AP. The fact that they went for lacquered dials when they have the unique "tapisserie" dial that screams AP should honestly be a crime. You see the "tapisserie" pattern and you immediately know it's an AP.

All of the other big boys do the same lacquered dial and I think most do it better.

I do love the case design though.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #16
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

^ Some really good points here all around...
Old 27 January 2021, 06:10 AM   #17
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
I sort of agree... A LOT of amazing pieces you can get for 47k.

Others have said to use this purchase to swing a RO and if that is what you want to do, I suggest going for a heavy hitter RO.

The 15500 (excluding blue) is easy enough to get at retail if you are persistent and don't mind waiting 6-18 months without previous buying history.

If the plan is to use this to move into other pieces I wouldn't take anything less than a 15500 Blue dial. If the SA promises you black or silver 15500 to close the deal, they are probably snickering to themselves after you leave.

I personally think the CODE line does a lot of things right and I do like some of the models. I think the big issue is that these just don't look like 50k watches and I primarily blame the dials for this.

There is zero AP DNA in those dials or at least what others think of when they think AP. The fact that they went for lacquered dials when they have the unique "tapisserie" dial that screams AP should honestly be a crime. You see the "tapisserie" pattern and you immediately know it's an AP.

All of the other big boys do the same lacquered dial and I think most do it better.

I do love the case design though.
Just to politely push back on the logic though, if you think Aqua and Nautilus, the same dial design doesn't necessarily come to mind. So I do think it's in AP's best interest to try to find a second signature style of dial that isn't tapissere. Although the Code still seems to be finding it's final form here IMHO, respectfully to Phow and the brand.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 06:25 AM   #18
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Just to politely push back on the logic though, if you think Aqua and Nautilus, the same dial design doesn't necessarily come to mind. So I do think it's in AP's best interest to try to find a second signature style of dial that isn't tapissere. Although the Code still seems to be finding it's final form here IMHO, respectfully to Phow and the brand.
Fair points.

I would also push back that neither the Aquanaut or Nautilus dials are immediately recognized by nothing more than their dial pattern. If you show the tapisserie pattern to most casual watch collectors, they immediately know it's AP without thinking twice. Not saying the average collector/enthusiast wouldn't see the Aquanaut or Nautilus after studying the pattern for a minute or two but it's just not an instant recognition like RO.

^ Anyone in marketing knows that is nearly impossible to achieve but AP has done it. And instead of embracing those elements that are immediately identifiable with their brand, they seem hell-bent on trying to make lightning strike twice...

I'm also not suggesting the CODE needs a full tapisserie pattern on the dial. But the pattern should be incorporated in some manner even if it's just clearly inspired by it IMHO.

There is a reason the RO OS line is successful and I can almost guarantee if they would have gone with a round case and lacquered dials, the line likely would have tanked.

Everyone gives AP crap for basically being a one watch brand. I personally think they should embrace the hell out of the fact that the RO is one of the most recognized designs in all of modern horology and nobody else dares to try and copy it.

I commend AP on the CODE case design. Truly a piece of art and you will notice it incorporates the octagonal shape of the RO. But the dials are rubbish IMO.
Old 27 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #19
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
+1. A blue 15500 should be a given, although non-Corporate owned boutiques may place the game differently. OP - if Westime in LA says no, try calling around. PM me if you need a contact at APNY.

Quote:
Agreed. Francois-Henry made it clear that the Code is positioned to be distinct from the Royal Oaks... and the tapisserie dials, as much as I love them, are RO DNA and do not define all AP DNA. The ocatagonal mid case is probably the strongest nod we'll see.
Old 27 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #20
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair points.

I would also push back that neither the Aquanaut or Nautilus dials are immediately recognized by nothing more than their dial pattern. If you show the tapisserie pattern to most casual watch collectors, they immediately know it's AP without thinking twice. Not saying the average collector/enthusiast wouldn't see the Aquanaut or Nautilus after studying the pattern for a minute or two but it's just not an instant recognition like RO.

^ Anyone in marketing knows that is nearly impossible to achieve but AP has done it. And instead of embracing those elements that are immediately identifiable with their brand, they seem hell-bent on trying to make lightning strike twice...

I'm also not suggesting the CODE needs a full tapisserie pattern on the dial. But the pattern should be incorporated in some manner even if it's just clearly inspired by it IMHO.

There is a reason the RO OS line is successful and I can almost guarantee if they would have gone with a round case and lacquered dials, the line likely would have tanked.

Everyone gives AP crap for basically being a one watch brand. I personally think they should embrace the hell out of the fact that the RO is one of the most recognized designs in all of modern horology and nobody else dares to try and copy it.

I commend AP on the CODE case design. Truly a piece of art and you will notice it incorporates the octagonal shape of the RO. But the dials are rubbish IMO.
Okay, you've won me over. I concur.

I do recall seeing a round case vintage AP with the tapiseere, and it didn't look very good. I do also think their skeleton attemps here with the code case, especially that LE chrono show a lot of promise.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 08:10 AM   #21
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, you've won me over. I concur.

I do recall seeing a round case vintage AP with the tapiseere, and it didn't look very good. I do also think their skeleton attemps here with the code case, especially that LE chrono show a lot of promise.
I agree and think the openworked CODE's look the best which just signals to me that the dial is 100% the issue.

I don't necessarily think the tapisserie pattern over the entire dial surface would be a good way to go. But I think some sort of new pattern clearly inspired by the tapisserie pattern would be more on-brand than the lacquered dials they are currently producing.

I really don't mean to be negative as I love AP and I want to love the CODE. And I would be a CODE owner if they could sort this out.
Old 27 January 2021, 08:42 AM   #22
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

For what its worth. Gerald Genta's design wasn't loved when his RO first came out. The Code is a new DNA in the AP family. May take some time to really embrace it. But I will definitely agree, the 47k price is hard to swallow, precious metal or not.