The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2021, 05:22 PM   #1
JudithN
"TRF" Member

New member seeking service advise

Hello! I confess I am not a collector, however I have a circa 1975 watch in need of service, and need guidance. I was gifted a14k/stainless Ladies Oyster perpetual date just as a Christmas present. It went missing years ago, I thought stolen. It had been serviced years before then by a Service Center in San Francisco, and was past due for another. The jubilee bracelet was also stretched out a bit. Befote it went missing, I stopped by Shreves which has a service center to inquire about the bracelet and servicing. The man stuck his snobby nose in the air and tried to sell me a new watch. He acted like mine wasn't worth fixing. Not long after, the watch disappeared. It had huge sentimental value to me, but life smacked me down, and I could not afford servicing even if I had the watch.

Fast forward some years, and I came across my watch!!! It was in a closed box of stationery all these years! I would love to get it working again, but I have to budget carefully as now I am fighting a deadly form of cancer.

Do I take it to the snobby service center and expevt to pay 2 months of my social security to have them do all the work so I know it is done right? Can a jeweler tighten the bracelet and have the RSC do the watch repair? Do I bypass the RSC and send it off to an independent repair service that is authorized to have a parts account with Rolex? Or????? I've seen some ads on google for $200 - $395 for servicing, but don't trust those. I want to wear and enjoy the watch for the time I have left. Then, it will go to the granddaughter of the person who gifted it to me. It's been stored away in it's box for years. I do not want to leave it in its present condition. Do I leave the finish as is (no scratched, gently worn) or have it polished?
I am grategul for suggestions, ideas what all this might cost. I live about a 2 hour drive from San Francisco, and dread having to go downtown there. It has become a filthy toilet, literally.

Thank you for reading my post.
JudithN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:20 PM   #2
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

The former SF Rolex Service Center is still in business and Giovanni, the owner and head watchmaker, does amazing and honest work. I would start with them if you SF based.

https://m.yelp.com/biz/giovanni-pass...-san-francisco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:25 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum Judith, I wish you luck in your battle with cancer.

I’d just send it to RSC or as chocopeluche suggests the SF service site (didn’t know there was one to be honest). They’ll give you an honest assessment of what’s needed and a firm estimate before any work is done

Good luck
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:35 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’d never go to a snobby shop again. Even if they are a Rolex AD.

If your watch still runs fine than I would not sent it for a service.
I have some watches running for 20 years without any service and all good.
You are right not believing in offers for a full service for a few hundred.

Perhaps contact Rolliworks and ask what they can do with the bracelet and service.
(They have a good reputation here)

Official Rolex Service Centre will not work on the bracelet but will offer you a new one. That’s going to be really costly.
Last service on my wife 26mm DJ was 1K at a RSC and that was just mechanical and a new crystal.

I wish you strength in your battle
Old 27 January 2021, 12:17 AM   #5
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithN View Post
Hello! I confess I am not a collector, however I have a circa 1975 watch in need of service, and need guidance. I was gifted a14k/stainless Ladies Oyster perpetual date just as a Christmas present. It went missing years ago, I thought stolen. It had been serviced years before then by a Service Center in San Francisco, and was past due for another. The jubilee bracelet was also stretched out a bit. Befote it went missing, I stopped by Shreves which has a service center to inquire about the bracelet and servicing. The man stuck his snobby nose in the air and tried to sell me a new watch. He acted like mine wasn't worth fixing. Not long after, the watch disappeared. It had huge sentimental value to me, but life smacked me down, and I could not afford servicing even if I had the watch.

Fast forward some years, and I came across my watch!!! It was in a closed box of stationery all these years! I would love to get it working again, but I have to budget carefully as now I am fighting a deadly form of cancer.

Do I take it to the snobby service center and expevt to pay 2 months of my social security to have them do all the work so I know it is done right? Can a jeweler tighten the bracelet and have the RSC do the watch repair? Do I bypass the RSC and send it off to an independent repair service that is authorized to have a parts account with Rolex? Or????? I've seen some ads on google for $200 - $395 for servicing, but don't trust those. I want to wear and enjoy the watch for the time I have left. Then, it will go to the granddaughter of the person who gifted it to me. It's been stored away in it's box for years. I do not want to leave it in its present condition. Do I leave the finish as is (no scratched, gently worn) or have it polished?
I am grategul for suggestions, ideas what all this might cost. I live about a 2 hour drive from San Francisco, and dread having to go downtown there. It has become a filthy toilet, literally.

Thank you for reading my post.

Hello Judith. Thank you for sharing and sorry to hear about your illness. I live in San Francisco so I will propose a few options.

1) SF has a fledgling vintage watch scene and most of the dealers take their watches to Giovanni Passalacqua at 210 Post St Suite 705. This is authorized Rolex repair if I am not mistaken, and I believe if you took your watch to Shreve it is ultimately Giovanni who would service your watch. He is the real deal and you have the option to go to him directly.

However, he is busy and for a non-regular non-dealer you may find it a bit expensive so I will present a viable alternative.

2) In the lobby/parking garage of 325 Mason Street you can find Paul Seregin and his wife offering watch services. I believe you will find acceptable service and pricing here for your Rolex. They can be reached at (415) 397-4536. I find them friendly and easy to deal with. They will also validate your parking!
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 03:38 AM   #6
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Call Rolliworks about service getting the bracelet stretch remedied. From past member reviews, they are evidently the best in the biz outside of Michael Young in Hong Kong.

They can service the watch as well. They are in Campbell which is also in the Bay area.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 04:37 AM   #7
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Both Rolliworks and Giovanni are excellent in the Bay Area. Another option is:

https://www.usaworldtime.com/

Great rep, look them up for details.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 07:18 AM   #8
azfishman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Another vote for Rolliworks. Pleasant to deal with and does great work. Glad you found your watch and best of luck.
azfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 07:22 AM   #9
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Rolliworks is close by and the USA expert at rebuilding stretched bracelet. They can also do the service.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 07:46 AM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Yes, Rolliworks is likely the best option.
You will get an estimate for the scope of work.
Some things will be a requirement with other things being optional.
You just need to discuss it with them and work out how it fits your budget

I hope everything works out
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote