The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 January 2021, 09:42 AM   #91
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I just got a 116519LN WG oysterflex from an AD. Seemed like a good value proposition against a gray market 116500LN. Also, I like the rhodium dial better. I like the heft of white gold, as well as the fact that it flies under the radar.
Old 26 January 2021, 09:46 AM   #92
aff1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
1. Yep. I love the way it melts into your wrist. It just seems glued to your arm. I like the lightness of steel, and WG is a nice change.

2. It’s warmer looking. I can tell and that’s all that matters. WG is just for me. Less ostentatious (I have YG, but sometimes I want to wear less flashy pieces).

3. It’s hard enough. I’ve put some big dings in SS. WG is not like butter. It’s plenty durable.

4. Yep. Cost is a factor. Why do people buy a Tesla when a Prius will do the job?

I love the breakdown here...
White gold is simply the better option.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:27 PM   #93
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

I realized with all the posts that there’s definitely a place for WG for those who like precious metals, and that my lack of understanding of WG has been my lack of appreciation for precious metals.

It’s the same reason why I have a $100 tungsten carbide wedding band but have $10k watches. I did eventually change out my tungsten carbide wedding band after a number of years because it had some coating on it that was all scratched off and it looked horrible.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:34 PM   #94
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Corrosion resistance over SS.
Old 26 January 2021, 01:45 PM   #95
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

just to get the configuration of watch. Probably would go for the SS if it came in that configuration.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:09 PM   #96
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
I just got a 116519LN WG oysterflex from an AD. Seemed like a good value proposition against a gray market 116500LN. Also, I like the rhodium dial better. I like the heft of white gold, as well as the fact that it flies under the radar.
I did the same, the value of the WG OF at retail vs steel Daytona at grey made it a no brainier for me. It helped that I prefer the look of the white gold. What surprised me was the way the white shines vs steel. Definitely a hue that has to be seen. The weight thing is a real thing too!
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:18 AM   #97
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I bought a WG Oysterflex Daytona as I gave up waiting for a St St white Daytona after 18 months on waiting lists and getting no closer to obtaining one. I waited about four weeks for the watch and got discount on it as at the time the demand for them had not taken off, certainly not as high as it is now. I don't regret my decision as IMHO the WG Oysterflex Daytona is the best looking Daytona in the current catalogue. There is also a definite difference in appearance between WG and St. St. that I find appealing.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:54 AM   #98
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 66 View Post
...But I might consider to pay £32,000.00 for the WG Meteorite
I agree. And have it on order.
fishingbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 01:08 AM   #99
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdein View Post
I bought a WG Oysterflex Daytona as I gave up waiting for a St St white Daytona after 18 months on waiting lists and getting no closer to obtaining one. I waited about four weeks for the watch and got discount on it as at the time the demand for them had not taken off, certainly not as high as it is now. I don't regret my decision as IMHO the WG Oysterflex Daytona is the best looking Daytona in the current catalogue. There is also a definite difference in appearance between WG and St. St. that I find appealing.

Having owned the 116500 and a 116519 OF at the same time, i can say for sure you made the right choice. I no longer have the 500 but i do have the 519.

Agree re the difference between steel and wg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:25 PM   #100
wgdaytona
2024 Pledge Member

"Intangible"

But, it's real. I had a WG Daytona but sold it to help pay for the new white face SS Daytona. Regret it. Nuff said.
wgdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 04:55 PM   #101
tom2
Banned

Is the feeling of a golden wrist not enough?
tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:54 PM   #102
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
WG for me
But hey, I like em all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 08:34 PM   #103
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calatravato View Post
Exactly. There are times when the price premium for stainless and the discount for WG brings the differential between the two so close that it makes more sense to buy the gold version.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:07 PM   #104
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I have no idea really. Not really thought too much about it. They are just part of the watches I own that happen to be WG.

I have a couple of WG Daytona's and I like them for their dials, that they feel special (mainly the weight) and that they are also very low key. Nobody knows what they are, they don't stand out and that's a positive.

But mainly because of their dials. I'm referring to the blue dial and silver dial OF
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:38 PM   #105
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

White gold has a look and feel that is different from stainless steel. If you experience it and enjoy it then it makes sense to own a watch that gives that to you....especially if it can be had more readily and at a similar price point to the same watch in SS. For example I have a WG Daytona 116509 and a SS version but both have totally different look and character and a place in my collection. The White gold just exudes a different look and feel and I enjoy that. On the other hand it is much more easy to scratch and damage and makes very little practical sense to own white gold but to me it makes more sense than yellow gold because that is not something I prefer to wear at all. Too loud and trying to hard to be impressive IMO. Gold jewelery just doesn't do it for me. I prefer White gold in all my Tux accessories (when I wear which is rarely) buckles, etc. and so does my wife. Neither of us wear any yellow gold since the 90s.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:56 PM   #106
challer
"TRF" Member

These watches are jewelry. Why buy SS jewelry? I only buy WG when PT is not available, i.e. the SkyD.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote