The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Explorer I : AD possible or go Grey?

I've been waffling a lot on my next Rolex, the community here has been very very helpful.

I had initially dismissed the Explorer I, but the more and more I thought about the current lineup and the state of things, I realized among Rolex watches available brand new, the models I want the most are the Explorer I, DJ, and Daytona. DJ I already have, Daytona not happening, so Explorer I is the one I want to pursue.

I went to two ADs the other day asking about the Explorer I. One put me on their "list", the other said there's no list they keep but that I can call in frequently and ask if they got a shipment. If they did, I'd have to run in and get it because they wouldn't be able to hold it. Seems a tad weird/cumbersome considering the AD is 1 hour away, and I don't know if they were being honest with me or trying to placate. But I do intend to call in frequently to check.

I don't have a relationship with either of these ADs. Do you think it's realistic that I get an Explorer I that way from either? How long should I wait before I consider just going grey?

There seems to be some rumors that the Explorer I gets revamped with the 32XX movement this year, and honestly one of the big reasons I want the Explorer is because it still uses the 31XX, so that might raise the urgency for me a tad.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:53 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Explorer I : AD possible or go Grey?

If you can wait, I would just follow up on both ADs once in a while. If you can’t wait, trusted sellers on here is a solid choice. I don’t see the explorer being a long wait, so personally patience would be the virtue I exercise.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:57 AM   #3
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I'd give it another 15 minutes, then go grey.
Old 25 January 2021, 07:03 AM   #4
Hampshirescott
"TRF" Member

Wait for a bit but I would buy soon before the prices go up. I bought one at list price on the grey market but I can’t see that lasting. Especially if the rumours of it being discontinued are true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hampshirescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:05 AM   #5
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

Refused to play the AD games

Got mine from Tony (Justrolexes) great guy and transaction. My favorite watch for two years now. For all I know I’d still be waiting for the call from the AD.

I plan on celebrating the end of the pandemic toward the end of this year with a blue OP41. I can assure you when I’m ready I will NOT be “waiting on bended knee” for a AD call.

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:13 AM   #6
kizerman
Banned

With the popularity of the new OP line, the Explorer should be even easier to get than before. I'd visit a few more AD's, maybe offer a small deposit in exchange for their next available. I doubt there is any wait list for it.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:24 AM   #7
DuckaDiesel
"TRF" Member

In the same boat, just got on the “list” with 3 ADs for the 214270.
I want to get a brand new one at retail for now.
Am not optimistic but I ll give it a few months.
Not to beat a dead horse but am sure someone that does not even want one will get called to get it before me just to flip it to grey dealers and in turn “maintain” relationship with these ADs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DuckaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:31 AM   #8
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

All depends on location but a friend of mine (in California and in a very wealthy area) was able to get an Explorer with about a 3-5 week wait walking in as a brand new customer.

I know some hate on Tourneau but they seem to work more with new customers than some ADs. For the record, this happened in January 2021.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:11 AM   #9
al1786
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
You could get lucky and find one in the display case. I saw one on display at Bhindi Jewellers Artesia LA while on vacation, but that was in July 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
al1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:19 AM   #10
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Hard to get from AD now
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:15 AM   #11
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizerman View Post
With the popularity of the new OP line, the Explorer should be even easier to get than before. I'd visit a few more AD's, maybe offer a small deposit in exchange for their next available. I doubt there is any wait list for it.
Lol. Okay.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 04:59 AM   #12
Cool Hand
"TRF" Member

I've been waiting for an Explorer from 2 ADs since mid-2019. LOL at those that think it "shouldnt be a long wait".
Cool Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I'd give it another 15 minutes, then go grey.
I tend to agree with this.

Personally, if an AD says I'm on the list (even better "next") AND gives me a realistic time frame, I can wait. Even if it's a long time I don't mind IF the AD is reliable.

For almost every watch lately though I can't even get my name down officially. I get a lot of maybes and runaround answers. I don't have the patience to wait for something I don't even know will ever happen.

Life is short!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:07 AM   #14
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
There seems to be some rumors that the Explorer I gets revamped with the 32XX movement this year, and honestly one of the big reasons I want the Explorer is because it still uses the 31XX, so that might raise the urgency for me a tad.
Been pondering the same thing myself. The rumors seem to point at an April release of a new Explorer line. Will this only impact the Explorer 2 or will they change the 1 as well? If they do, I'm guessing the gray price on the previous versions will jump. As well, there are reports of scaled back production due to COVID absences. If Rolex is only a few months away from a new Explorer do we even know there will be any more of the "old" ones being sent to any dealers? Maybe they are already starting to build inventory of the new version. It's all speculation of course, but considering the gray premium seems to only be about $1k at this point it doesn't seem like a terrible way to go (unlike a new Kermit, for example)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:26 AM   #15
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Been pondering the same thing myself. The rumors seem to point at an April release of a new Explorer line. Will this only impact the Explorer 2 or will they change the 1 as well? If they do, I'm guessing the gray price on the previous versions will jump. As well, there are reports of scaled back production due to COVID absences. If Rolex is only a few months away from a new Explorer do we even know there will be any more of the "old" ones being sent to any dealers? Maybe they are already starting to build inventory of the new version. It's all speculation of course, but considering the gray premium seems to only be about $1k at this point it doesn't seem like a terrible way to go (unlike a new Kermit, for example)
Yea, all valid points. I can't see them upgrading the movement on the 2 and not doing it on the 1.

The grey premium does seem more than 1k now though, maybe stock is already drying up?
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:10 AM   #16
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Yeah if you want a full "never worn" specimen it may be more than that. I was figuring new at an AD w/tax you are around $7100. Lots of 2-3 year old versions selling for that price. And when you start getting to $8500 or so you see some NIB models. So maybe a $1500 delta. If you found a excellent (but worn) one for low 7s that could be a good hedge for now. Then ride out the season and if there is some big market change and a price bump you are already in, and if your AD gets you a brand new one you can always turn around and unload the used one for what you paid.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:57 AM   #17
breed
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
The price difference (premium) isn't terrible, I would probably go the trusted seller route. Fortunately, I have a pretty good AD relationship but even in the current state, I'm sure I would be waiting several months if I requested one.
Old 26 January 2021, 06:08 PM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Yea, all valid points. I can't see them upgrading the movement on the 2 and not doing it on the 1.

The grey premium does seem more than 1k now though, maybe stock is already drying up?
1k grey premium is tiny compared to other models.
Go for it
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:34 PM   #19
duncand111
Banned

Watch: Couple of Rolexes
Call them (AD) in few weeks to see if they have any update while still checking out other AD's as well if you have the patience, if you don't go grey!
duncand111 is offline   Reply With Quote