The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2021, 03:00 AM   #1
agent_sumo
"TRF" Member

Rolex Datejust 36 (seiko Sarb035 comparison help?)

Hello to all,

New to the forum and I would need some advice and help from you if possible.

I am considering of getting my first Rolex and I am focusing on the 16200 Datejust 36mm in black.

The issue is that due to unavailability of the watch in retailers, I cannot really try it. I have tried the OP36 , which has a bit larger lugs and I think it suits my 6.75inch wrist fine, of course on the smaller side of watches.

Now regarding the small size, my main worry is the comfort of the watch as I would like it to be a daily all day wear. I have tried and owned several watches and when there is a bracelet on the watch I have found that a watch over 125grams after 10hours starts to bother my wrist. The 16200 seems to be 101grams after a research I have done and this would be a very comfortable weight.

Lately I am wearing a seiko sarb035 which has a very nice wrist presence (though 38mm) and the same lug to lug with the 16200 DJ.(44mm)

However I can easily wear my omega 41mm smp/ Hilton titanium 42mm etc, so I don’t have a very small wrist.

Does anyone have both watches or a more recent dj36 to compare with the sarb side by side??

PS my other option would be the OP39 in dark rhodium but it’s on the limit of 127-131grams. I cannot try it either anymore to see the balance on my wrist and also the prices have risen extremely on this model after the discontinuation.

Thanks for any help and advice!
agent_sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:49 AM   #2
MalcolmSquare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I don't own either of these watches, but I find the 36mm diameter and 44mm lug-to-lug to be perfectly comfortable on my 6.5-inch wrist. Best of luck in deciding.
MalcolmSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:50 PM   #3
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Rolex Datejust 36 (seiko Sarb035 comparison help?)

Hi OP, yes I do own a SARB035 and a 36mm DJ, though mine is on a jubilee band (so lug to lug might be slightly less). My DJ is also the reference 116234 so the model after the 16200. Attached a pic so you can see them side by side.

The SARB definitely wears bigger both in case diameter 38 v 36 and also in case height. It’s bulkier overall in appearance. In terms of weight they feel similar, but I’ve never weighed them properly. They both feel great on the wrist, I’d even say the DJ might be more comfortable though I think the jubilee bracelet has something to do with that. As an everyday wearer, the DJ 36 wins for me but I absolutely LOVE my SARB. Funny I see this post today, I just wore my SARB after a few months of heavy Rolex rotation and it felt great.

Anyways happy to help with any other questions or more photos if you need. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jyhwker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:33 PM   #4
agent_sumo
"TRF" Member

Thank you both for the comments and especially jyhawker with the pic!!
It is really really helpful for me.

I am a bit disappointed as the sarb I feel is the smallest I can go. And Dj36 on jubilee looks smaller indeed.

Even though I would look for a Dj36 with an oyster bracelet which I hope gives an impression of Nigeria lug to lug distance to the watch.
The jubilee is great as you say beaches it’s even lighter but it looks smaller.
Old 26 January 2021, 06:35 PM   #5
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I also have a SARB035 and DJ36. It's the current model with fluted bezel and oyster bracelet. I guess its just stating the obvious that the DJ is a better watch than the SARB in every aspect that makes a watch a watch. For the massive price difference it better be.

The SARB feels a tad more bulky and top heavy than the DJ, making the DJ a noticeably more comfortable daily wearer to me. I find 36mm DJs to be the most comfortable steel watches I've worn. Mine also has the Easylink (not sure if the 16200 does) that helps me dial in a more precise fit. This is my main issue with the SARB, I just can't dial in a perfect fit.

Bottom line, I think if you find the SARB comfortable for daily wearing, then the DJ will be more than comfortable enough and you'll really enjoy it.

EDIT: Here are pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ and SARB.jpg (205.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg DJ and SARB2.jpg (231.4 KB, 144 views)
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:56 PM   #6
agent_sumo
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the pics Dark Knight ��

My main worry is the dilemma between size (watch looking small) and comfort!

16200 has the old oyster bracelet with hollow end links (and of course no ezlink) as it’s from 2000. That’s why the weight is only at 100grams. But as I see it compared in your pics with the sarb , even though the lug to lug is the same (44mm) the watch looks a lot smaller. Even the dial presence, I was hoping to be almost the same but it’s not ..

My next option is the 39 oyster perpetual that has a bigger presence but the weight increases to 130grams apprx.

I am really torn on the choice now ��
Old 27 January 2021, 04:04 AM   #7
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_sumo View Post
Thank you for the pics Dark Knight ��

My main worry is the dilemma between size (watch looking small) and comfort!

16200 has the old oyster bracelet with hollow end links (and of course no ezlink) as it’s from 2000. That’s why the weight is only at 100grams. But as I see it compared in your pics with the sarb , even though the lug to lug is the same (44mm) the watch looks a lot smaller. Even the dial presence, I was hoping to be almost the same but it’s not ..

My next option is the 39 oyster perpetual that has a bigger presence but the weight increases to 130grams apprx.

I am really torn on the choice now ��
So my picture taking technique here isn't the best as you'll notice the SARB is closer to the lens in both pics, exaggerating the size difference. That being said, to me the SARB definitely has more presence (both on wrist "feel" and size). It's been a while since I tried on the OP39, but on my 6.5 inch wrist the proportions felt a tad off (although my wife said it looked great so who knows). But I remember the OP39 having even more wrist presence than the SARB, but I think the flatter profile would make it a more comfortable wearer. I do remember thinking the OP39 would be a very comfortable daily, I just wasn't a huge fan of the proportions at the time.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 04:10 AM   #8
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Happy to help agent! For what it’s worth, I think you would be happy with the DJ as your daily despite it being smaller. Honestly the main difference I feel when wearing the DJ or SARB is that I feel the SARB more whereas the DJ just blends into my wrist if that makes any sense. I think over time you’ll get used to the way it wears and will overlook the size of the case/dial. Just my two cents. Obviously would be great to try it to know for sure but I know that’s a challenge. Good luck!!

Old 27 January 2021, 04:26 AM   #9
Robert Bruce
Banned

I think 36mm is a bit on the small side for a 6-3/4" wrist. I would recommend 38-40mm for all-day, every-day use. Ymmv.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 04:30 AM   #10
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
The DateJust has been a staple in watch collections for decades, probably fits more wrists more comfortably than any watch in the Rolex lineup.
My DJ looks great on my 7.25" wrist, and feels terrific.
Old 27 January 2021, 04:43 AM   #11
jyhwker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
So my picture taking technique here isn't the best as you'll notice the SARB is closer to the lens in both pics, exaggerating the size difference. That being said, to me the SARB definitely has more presence (both on wrist "feel" and size). It's been a while since I tried on the OP39, but on my 6.5 inch wrist the proportions felt a tad off (although my wife said it looked great so who knows). But I remember the OP39 having even more wrist presence than the SARB, but I think the flatter profile would make it a more comfortable wearer. I do remember thinking the OP39 would be a very comfortable daily, I just wasn't a huge fan of the proportions at the time.

Agree with this.

Old 27 January 2021, 04:49 AM   #12
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

DJ at 36mm is a great size for your wrist, and extremely comfortable. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote