The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2021, 04:45 AM   #1
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Grey Daytona price

Hi All

Me and my mate have been looking for a Daytona via ad and grey for him. They are about £20k for last years model. Anyway was looking at Chrono24 and the last time it went up was in Jun 2019. Ok fast forward to now it’s been over a year and in 5 months will be two years and has hardly increased on prices maybe stayed static.

I think with brexit making sales abroad hard for greys and VAT/Tax increases and COVID I think it’s reached it’s max. It won’t go over £20k now it might even go down. I think this could be for a lot of watches on grey unless they get discontinued and the Daytona ceramic won’t it’s hardly been out.

It might now even drop due to the issues. I think we are now going to wait for it to drop now. What you all think. It could happen to a lot of watches I think now.

It won’t go to MSRP but they won’t go up now.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:27 AM   #2
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
I have no idea what you just said, but if you want the watch, then buy it. No one knows what will happen to the price.
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:36 AM   #3
Xeer
"TRF" Member

Good luck waiting on prices to drop.
Xeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:38 AM   #4
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I do not think Daytona "market" prices will drop ... not a penny (or pence).
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #5
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
nope
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:51 AM   #6
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
I think you are going to have a long wait , Good Luck
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:52 AM   #7
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
Comes down to supply and demand. Demand is very high and that is why the watch brokers are asking $25,000 USD to $30,000 for the Daytona. Wait time is several years at an authorized dealer. Retail MSRP is $13,150 USD.

Paying over MSRP $12,000-$17,000 is a huge price to pay to get that watch, but it guarantees you get it! I was lucky to buy the white dial version in 2016 from my authorized dealer at MSRP when it was less than $13,000. I have been waiting 4 years for the black dial Daytona and I refuse to pay double for it...
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:54 AM   #8
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Just bought one in England last week, 2015 Chromalight, I have paid 20500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:59 AM   #9
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
I want some of whatever you’re smoking
1lastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 05:59 AM   #10
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Daytona View Post
Comes down to supply and demand. Demand is very high and that is why the watch brokers are asking $25,000 USD to $30,000 for the Daytona. Wait time is several years at an authorized dealer. Retail MSRP is $13,150 USD.

Paying over MSRP $12,000-$17,000 is a huge price to pay to get that watch, but it guarantees you get it! I was lucky to buy the white dial version in 2016 from my authorized dealer at MSRP when it was less than $13,000. I have been waiting 4 years for the black dial Daytona and I refuse to pay double for it...
Thanks for the reply I think they will drop now. If you look at the graphs, trends they haven’t gone up for 2 years they have been static and now due to the taxes, people not travelling etc I think it’s going to stay static or even go down. Two years ago they went up 5k now I think they will drop. If you look it’s the case with a lot of the watches but most the Daytona.
Old 26 January 2021, 06:03 AM   #11
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
I would love a white dial Daytona, but even if I had all the money in the world, I wouldn’t pay double MSRP for it—just based on principle. You can get a better watch for that money. But everyone has to make up their own mind!
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:34 AM   #12
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

People were laughing at people for paying $18,000 when they first came out. Now we're here.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #13
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Makes the GBP7900 I paid a bargain. Weak currencies for the win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2021, 06:37 AM   #14
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
Thanks for the reply I think they will drop now. If you look at the graphs, trends they haven’t gone up for 2 years they have been static and now due to the taxes, people not travelling etc I think it’s going to stay static or even go down. Two years ago they went up 5k now I think they will drop. If you look it’s the case with a lot of the watches but most the Daytona.

If you look at Patek for example, they are reducing the delivery for steel watches, is not me, is voice from the CEO. This is a Daytona previous model in steel, I have others also in steel but didn’t wanted to loose the opportunity to buy, at the end I have weighed stocks taking an average MRSP and grey. I don’t think will go down, not at least in this decade. But...who knows.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #15
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
People were laughing at people for paying $18,000 when they first came out. Now we're here.
Exactly. Isn’t going to go down unless all of a sudden Rolex changes it’s business model and ups production. If not it will at minimum stay where they are.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:41 AM   #16
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Grey Daytona price

Rolex will cut production before they let the price crater. They are likely watching it closely to maintain exclusivity.

A stock market crash or derivatives fiasco that ruins banks and affects credit issuance could bring it down.

I should add that as much as I love the white Daytona it is approaching a value where I would rather have the fiat for other pursuits. It's great. It's just not worth that much to me. I am in it about $23K.
Old 26 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #17
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lastone View Post
I want some of whatever you’re smoking
If you think it’s going down it’s not......if you don’t want to pay huge money get a 116520, there’s not much difference....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #18
jpjsavage
"TRF" Member

I predict they will be £30k by the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
jpjsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:54 AM   #19
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
I see you are from the UK, if so, is it true that AD's have waiting lists approaching 30 years for a steel Daytona, as I have heard?? If the answer is yes, the price will not be coming down anytime soon. The steel Daytona has been extremely tough to acquire for at least 25 or so years from an AD at MSRP in the US. If the Daytona is something you desire to own now, you have only one option. I wish you luck, hoping you acquire your Daytona sooner rather than later.
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 06:54 AM   #20
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I think hyperinflation is more likely than the watch value dropping.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:02 AM   #21
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
I see you are from the UK, if so, is it true that AD's have waiting lists approaching 30 years for a steel Daytona, as I have heard?? If the answer is yes, the price will not be coming down anytime soon. The steel Daytona has been extremely tough to acquire for at least 25 or so years from an AD at MSRP in the US. If the Daytona is something you desire to own now, you have only one option. I wish you luck, hoping you acquire your Daytona sooner rather than later.
30 years! Wow I haven’t heard that I have read so many people on here say oh I bought this hot steel model because I made a good relationship with the AD etc etc so I am sure that wait time is not true. The prices I have looked it is for the black dial ceramic. It has been holding for nearly two years now on grey in the in the UK sometimes dropping to £19.5k but not going up. This is price sold I think after two years of holding static something is changing I doubt £30k by end of the year. Especially with our new tax rules and the EU brexit issues putting people off from buying from the UK and vicea versa. Check the charts if you don’t believe me.

I we will have to go grey definitely but I think a price drop will be coming. Maybe 1k to 3k next year
Old 26 January 2021, 07:05 AM   #22
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Aussies View Post
No! It's not true!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:22 AM   #23
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Not a clue of what you are asking, but if you like the watch, then get it. I bought a Black Dial from my AD back in early December and it hasn't come off the wrist.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:25 AM   #24
Panader
"TRF" Member

You guys are talking about these watches like they are stocks.

Paying over retail is silly. 20,000 GBP for a SS Rolex is silly. The only reason you can justify it is because it is market value.

You and your "mate" want to spend 20,000 GBP to show you have a cool watch.

There are better watches at that price than a daytona. I live in Toronto so for 30,000 I could get a Lange or an AP Royal Oak or a Patek for that price. I would rather a white gold Calatrava for 30,000 CAD rather than a DAytona.

Oh and I have a Daytona that I paid 20,000 USD for.
Panader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #25
Panader
"TRF" Member

You would not like my Daytona because it has gold and diamonds so it basically worthless.
Panader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:28 AM   #26
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panader View Post

Paying over retail is silly. 20,000 GBP for a SS Rolex is silly. The only reason you can justify it is because it is market value.

There are better watches at that price than a daytona. I live in Toronto so for 30,000 I could get a Lange or an AP Royal Oak or a Patek for that price. I would rather a white gold Calatrava for 30,000 CAD rather than a DAytona.

How do you define better? More in demand, more liquid?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:37 AM   #27
Londonrolex
"TRF" Member

Cheapest white dial 116500LN on C24 in the uk is currently listed at £22k, and there is only one at that price. 12 months ago the cheapest was £19.5k; I paid 18k unworn after negotiating with a grey I know very well. Was told I paid too much at the time. As per other people’s posts, there’s been waiting lists for Daytona’s in the uk since the mid 90’s; and it’s only got harder since then to purchase from an AD. the price shows short term fluctuations but nothing notable or significant enough relative to the price. As the owner of four Daytona’s (16520, 116520, 116500LN & 116508) I can confidently say if you want one, buy one now because price won’t drop on a SS model; stagnate for a period is possible, but it won’t drop, it never has.
Londonrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:43 AM   #28
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panader View Post

Mate your missing the point. I don’t want to spend £20k and even if I did nobody I know is interested in Rolex, apart from this forum everyone I know couldn’t care less about watches unless they were an Apple Watch. I am saying now it will drop because it’s been static so long.

Sorry if I offend anyone but even if I could buy a Patek Nautilus it is one of the most horrible looking watches I have seen it looks like a tv screen is on your wrist. I like the Daytona but I think I may have a chance in a couple years grey wise as the static prices means it will probably drop.
Old 26 January 2021, 07:44 AM   #29
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mate your missing the point. I don’t want to spend £20k and even if I did nobody I know is interested in Rolex, apart from this forum everyone I know couldn’t care less about watches unless they were an Apple Watch. I am saying now it will drop because it’s been static so long.

Sorry if I offend anyone but even if I could buy a Patek Nautilus it is one of the most horrible looking watches I have seen it looks like a tv screen is on your wrist. I like the Daytona but I think I may have a chance in a couple years grey wise as the static prices means it will probably drop.
Mate it’s not static it’s rising lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:47 AM   #30
1lastone
"TRF" Member

Watch: El primero
Quote:
30 years! Wow I haven’t heard that I have read so many people on here say oh I bought this hot steel model because I made a good relationship with the AD etc etc so I am sure that wait time is not true. The prices I have looked it is for the black dial ceramic. It has been holding for nearly two years now on grey in the in the UK sometimes dropping to £19.5k but not going up. This is price sold I think after two years of holding static something is changing I doubt £30k by end of the year. Especially with our new tax rules and the EU brexit issues putting people off from buying from the UK and vicea versa. Check the charts if you don’t believe me.

I we will have to go grey definitely but I think a price drop will be coming. Maybe 1k to 3k next year
The price will only go up in the UK since Brexit means buyers have access to a smaller market. Dealers will hold onto stock and then hike the price equivalent to the +20% vat of buying from eu
1lastone is offline   Reply With Quote