The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 February 2020, 01:54 AM   #31
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanteanflux View Post
Watchbox listed one for 48k couple days ago on chrono24 and looks Like it’s been taken already!?
Yup, no longer there. The only one I see right now is on Chrono 24 listed for $50,000!
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 03:59 AM   #32
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Until now. ( I think this dude is trolling me now )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 06:19 AM   #33
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Until now. ( I think this dude is trolling me now )

Come on ....
This is ridiculous, reaching the 5711 price.
Who is the stupid guy who will buy it?

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 07:35 AM   #34
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
Come on ....

Fishing now. You can get an Optimum for that kind of money.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 07:46 AM   #35
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

I’ve looked around and noticed the CBs from the usual dealers have disappeared. Something’s up. Maybe someone got advanced word of a discontinuation?
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 12:54 PM   #36
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
I’ve looked around and noticed the CBs from the usual dealers have disappeared. Something’s up. Maybe someone got advanced word of a discontinuation?
You got a point there!
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 01:02 PM   #37
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Purely speculation of course, but it would be cool if François-Paul threw everyone a curve at Basel and announced an entirely new entry level piece as a CB replacement. Maybe something equally appealing as the CB, but easier to manufacture so he can produce more than 90 pieces per year.
Old 14 February 2020, 01:37 PM   #38
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I purchased this when It first made avalible they even called Switzerland home office and picked out a case number I liked. Got it for 24k after all said and done. Very happy I made the purchase. I never would of guess these would go up the way they did.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 02:58 PM   #39
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Come on ....

Personally I own 5711.. I certainly will not put 5711 on the same level as CB.. CB is on another level.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 03:46 PM   #40
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Personally I own 5711.. I certainly will not put 5711 on the same level as CB.. CB is on another level.

I agree, I was referring at the hype.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2020, 03:53 PM   #41
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Journe is popping!
Old 14 February 2020, 11:55 PM   #42
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Purely speculation of course, but it would be cool if François-Paul threw everyone a curve at Basel and announced an entirely new entry level piece as a CB replacement. Maybe something equally appealing as the CB, but easier to manufacture so he can produce more than 90 pieces per year.

It already exists, it’s called the Elegante. And even that’s becoming hard to get without a short wait.

I’m joking a little obviously.

A mechanical “entry level” piece to replace the CB would be interesting but I don’t know if both could exist at the same time; for the brand I’m not sure it makes sense.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:33 AM   #43
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
It already exists, it’s called the Elegante. And even that’s becoming hard to get without a short wait.

A mechanical “entry level” piece to replace the CB would be interesting but I don’t know if both could exist at the same time; for the brand I’m not sure it makes sense.

In theory, it could work. It could be FPJ's version of what the Aquanaut is to the Nautilus. They could increase the price of the CB and increase the price a little more to make it work.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:04 AM   #44
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

From the brand's perspective I don't see the point of introducing another entry level watch. They could increase the price of the CB regardless. The brand is currently thriving as is. Increasing production totals to accommodate a lower entry point watch taints the brand image.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:45 AM   #45
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be clear, when I speculated about a replacement for the CB I meant discontinuing the CB entirely and replacing it with a more appropriate entry level watch that is easier and cheaper to manufacture. I think the issue FPJ has with the CB is that it’s not cost effective as an entry level watch.

Perhaps they could produce a new CB with a steel case (instead of tantalum) and a similar style dial, but not a dial that requires such an intensive process that has such a high quality control rejection rate.

But again, it’s all just speculation. Until we find out the reason behind the sudden hike in market prices, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 15 February 2020, 02:11 AM   #46
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be clear, when I speculated about a replacement for the CB I meant discontinuing the CB entirely and replacing it with a more appropriate entry level watch that is easier and cheaper to manufacture. I think the issue FPJ has with the CB is that it’s not cost effective as an entry level watch.

Perhaps they could produce a new CB with a steel case (instead of tantalum) and a similar style dial, but not a dial that requires such an intensive process that has such a high quality control rejection rate.

But again, it’s all just speculation. Until we find out the reason behind the sudden hike in market prices, your guess is as good as mine.

Yeah exactly. If it's hard to make, then it kind of defeats the point of the watch?

Definitely an amazing piece, but I don't get why FPJ doesn't just increase the price of it and introduce something like a Saxonia.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 02:26 AM   #47
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Come on ....

Well it should be a lot more expensive than that mass produced 5711
I have both and the Journe is MUCH more interesting
Old 15 February 2020, 02:32 AM   #48
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have to agree.
The Elegante is something I never considered because it's a quartz but if you give it a second chance and read about it .. you could fall in love.

and to my surprise they are not easy to get. I'm glad to have a Journe AD who's close friends with Journe himself and owns a stake in the Journe manufacture so he can get thins faster ...
I'll have a look at the titanium and the titanium Titalyt and probably buy one.

The fact that chrono24 is not flooded with those quartz watches was a surprise , finding only 2 for sale is a big surprise and seeing they're above list was rather a shock (I thought ... quartz ?? probably list -50% , right ?)
Old 15 February 2020, 05:42 AM   #49
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

FPJ CB .. What’s happening??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
From the brand's perspective I don't see the point of introducing another entry level watch. They could increase the price of the CB regardless. The brand is currently thriving as is. Increasing production totals to accommodate a lower entry point watch taints the brand image.

Agreed.
Also, I’ve always thought of the CS as the entry level Journe since the CB has become a unicorn at retail. Similar movement and design language, no complication other than PR. No need to replace the CB with anything IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 11:50 AM   #50
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The reason? Whatever initial momentum came from the realization of it being way underpriced, the spill over of the Nautilus/Rolex effect and the general increased awareness of FPJ has been supercharged by old school cornering of the market. Not that hard to do when production numbers are low.

Not all dealers are solely focused on just flipping watches and taking a small cut. Some are making very big bets on certain watches and brands.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 01:42 PM   #51
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Crap! Just when I finally started loving FPJ! It took me a couple of years to really get inside these watches. Now, that I am there, this craziness starts to happen. There was a reason I moved on from Rolex! (still love my Rolexes but hating the BS game, years waitlists, VIP thing). FPJ watches and collectors seemed so genuine and passionate- something I want to be a part of. I even came to the conclusion that it was ok to get depreciation if needed from the FPJ watches because I admired them so much.

I guess in some ways it is a good thing for FPJ collectors but I really don’t want the hype to seep over this awesome brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 02:13 PM   #52
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
Crap! Just when I finally started loving FPJ! It took me a couple of years to really get inside these watches. Now, that I am there, this craziness starts to happen. There was a reason I moved on from Rolex! (still love my Rolexes but hating the BS game, years waitlists, VIP thing). FPJ watches and collectors seemed so genuine and passionate- something I want to be a part of. I even came to the conclusion that it was ok to get depreciation if needed from the FPJ watches because I admired them so much.

I guess in some ways it is a good thing for FPJ collectors but I really don’t want the hype to seep over this awesome brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lot of Journe watches available at good prices in preowned market. Except CB and ultra high end Journes, majority are available with decent discount.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 03:16 PM   #53
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyRba View Post
Lot of Journe watches available at good prices in preowned market. Except CB and ultra high end Journes, majority are available with decent discount.

The bleu is amazing, it deserves to be right there with a 5711 and arguably and convincingly above it!

Then again the CS are plentiful and great watches.

Truth be told when you have a power reserve that is ~40 hours, a PR indicator is useful... not available on the Bleu.

However, personally the Holland and holland is more desirable than then either of them.
Old 15 February 2020, 08:58 PM   #54
Swaye
"TRF" Member

I love the CB. Great watch. But as others have said FPJ is so much more than a two trick pony (CB and Resonance). As of now the ship has left the dock on all the brass stuff, ruthenium limiteds, CB's and all Resonance except the parking meter (though even that is going up). That said, CS's in some great configurations still represent good value, Centigraphes are climbing but have not totally blown up, and the Optimum has not exploded yet and represents great value at the "high end" of the line.

There are still many examples of exceptional FPJs that are priced very fairly in the market. Now, with one mega dealer controlling supply and trying to do market setting, that may not always be the case. The recent auction results of early brass stuff has had a major spillover effect on the brand and everything is ticking up, plus supply is dwindling (some is due to brisk sales and some may be dealer manipulation), but it is still a good time to get into FPJ if you find you like things other than CBs and Resonance. Almost every reference they make is exceptional if you can find one that speaks to you.
Old 15 February 2020, 10:23 PM   #55
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
The recent auction results of early brass stuff has had a major spillover effect on the brand and everything is ticking up, p.
You have a link to that auction?
Old 15 February 2020, 11:12 PM   #56
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I do not. A collector I know told me about it. Last November I believe and in Asia (Hong Kong?) I think. I think it was an early brass Resonance and went for 250K if I remember correctly.
Old 15 February 2020, 11:22 PM   #57
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Found it!

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...3-details.aspx

Almost 260K USD. The guy I know said it shattered previous pricing on them and FPJ has been on fire ever since.

I bought my Havana not long ago, and two weeks later the same dealer sold the exact same watch for 2,500 more. And it was a year older. That is a small data sample but it is undeniable that the market on FPJ is trending up across most of the line. Of course brass, ruthenium and CBs seem to be seeing the most movement, but the whole line is moving up a bit. These watches for the most part seem to be great value to me based on comparable quality watches. I'm a fan. I wish I could afford a pre-2010 Resonance but that isn't happening. Very happy with my Havana and Centigraphe though.
Old 16 February 2020, 02:51 AM   #58
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Found it!

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...3-details.aspx

Almost 260K USD. The guy I know said it shattered previous pricing on them and FPJ has been on fire ever since.

thanks and I do remember this one indeed but I thought you were talking about an auction specially for the older models and not just one watch :-)
Old 16 February 2020, 10:44 AM   #59
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

(Upping my post count so I can post links )
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 10:44 AM   #60
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote