The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 September 2010, 12:13 PM   #1
eesmith4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Question about my bubbleback/cali dial....

I've had my great-granddad's SS bubbleback with an original arabic/roman numeral dial for about 15 years now. I've heard this referred to as a "california" dial, especially if it was refinished later(mine was NOT, dial is original)

Before I got it it was sitting in a safety deposit box for 30+ years, since my dad got it in 1963 when my great-granddad died.

SN is 199XXX, this should be around 1941 if I am correct. It has an el cheapo band, but everything else is all original and untouched, dial included. The original band was leather, correct? where might I find a similar replacement? Any recs for a trustworthy servicer? What's the ballpark value? (not interested in selling, just curious)

Thanks

(my 2006 SD, the bubbleback, and my great-great-granddad's Illinois Bunn pocketwatch)

eesmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
adam78
"TRF" Member

That's an awesome watch, the dial makes the watch, and contributes the great majority of its value (for this 2940 -- I think -- likely about 2/3 of the value). I've seen similar watches go for at least 4K from dealers, but it might be hard to realize that much in this collector's market.

A nice vintage style brown pigskin strap would be a great complement. International Watchman has some decent vintage style straps that aren't too costly. Or you could dress it up with a 17mm brown alligator or croco.

The official name of this type of dial is a Roman-Arabic dial. The term "California dial" is a recent construct, probably from a California-based dial refinishing company that made these popular (as redials) a decade or two ago. But a gorgeous original is always preferable! Actually I think they were referred to in the '40s as a highly luminous dial, since the numerals are stamped into the metal of the dial and filled with lume, so necessarily there is about twice the radium in each plot as would be the case otherwise.

Here is my sole Roman-Arabic dial (a manual wind Oyster from about the same time):

Old 12 September 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
achova
"TRF" Member

Watch: it vary.
Neat watches! Especially after the rash of fake co-branded (Rolex & Tudor on same dial) that have been shown lately.

Adam - Interesting hands - I like the way they fit in geometrically with the dial font.
Old 13 September 2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Beautiful warch eesmith!! And coming from your grand dad adds to the appreciation of this fine time piece!!

Adam: No need to say that I love your watch. I enjoy so much looking at your collection and reading your explanations! Thank you so much friend!

Enjoy your watches gentlemen!
Cordial regards, Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote