The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2013, 12:23 AM   #91
emale
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolFF View Post
Serial numbers are on a database with customs. They can pull up your luxury watch and determine exactly where your watch was originally sold and if duties have been paid on it. If it has a serial number it's recorded in a database somewhere.

Buy in Canada or just declare it. Don't give them the opportunity to confiscate it. And sell it at auction for their own gain. Who are the real thieves? You for buying something with your own hard earned money. Or them for taking it away if you don't pay them enormous amounts of taxes and duties. Remember you will get a smuggler mark on your profile when they swipe your passport. And be searched and or detained most if not every time you travel.
I have purchased watches from US based sellers and had it shipped to a Niagara Falls address .

I would then drive across Queenston bridge , pick it up, clear customs and return.

I have never been asked for the serial numbers.

They just ask, how much did you pay for, where did you buy it and if any proof of payment. I bring a printout of the listing and a copy of the wire or paypal receipt.

Just get charged the 13% tax, never the duty. You get hit with the additional 5% duty if using a servcie like fedex/ups or canada post

I always have a copy of the blue and white receipts stored in my phones when I travel.
emale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2013, 05:10 AM   #92
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
Quote:
Originally Posted by emale View Post
I have purchased watches from US based sellers and had it shipped to a Niagara Falls address.

Yup... and good service too. USA Address Service Lots of Canadian license plates in the parking lot.
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2013, 05:18 AM   #93
Watchman2020

Watch: SS Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Where did you hear that? I've never seen anyone compare serial numbers against a dB. Lord knows I've been stopped by Canadian customs plenty of times.
Watchman2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2013, 05:20 AM   #94
c.rod
"TRF" Member

i agree. wear the watch and fed ex the box/papers etc.

or stick the stickers, hang tag's, papers etc in your underwear. whats the worst that could happen....lmao
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 07:14 AM   #95
WolFF
"TRF" Member

Well. I'm not trying to be a d!ck. lord knows I hate paying more for something than I have to. Friend had first hand experience with this bought a $10000 breitling on vacay in the Bahamas 3 years later. And he wore it for 3 years. Coming back from Vegas Canada customs asked him if he got the watch In Vegas. He said no. Custom agent asked to see it. And then took the watch with him for about 25 mins. Came back with the watch and a printout from a database with his serial. Make and model. Showing him it was originally purchased in the Bahamas. And that cdn tax was not paid. The watch got confiscated. 8 weeks later customs had determined the value of the watch tax and penalty and he had to pay 6 grand cdn. When he went to pick it up at the airport and pay. The lady customs agent pulled out a huge container with about 50 watches in small plastic sealed packages. He paid the 6 grand........ I don't know why. And is now questioned and examined in a small room everytime he returns to Canada. And asked to go inside border crossings. Worst move he ever did.
Do I want to pay the gov't more money than I already do. No. But am not going to risk this sh!t

If you think customs are stupid. Think again. If your honest, you might get a nice guy and not hose you on duties.

This is just a story. It doesn't happen to everyone. I personally have never been asked anything about my watches when I have travelled. And it is a lot. But I'm just saying its a pretty big risk.
WolFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 08:30 AM   #96
ispep
"TRF" Member

What if the watch was handed down by a family member. If you wore that on vacation , do you still need to prove taxes were paid on it?
ispep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 08:39 AM   #97
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
This is just a story. It doesn't happen to everyone. I personally have never been asked anything about my watches when I have travelled. And it is a lot. But I'm just saying its a pretty big risk.
I'm Canadian and have never experienced anything like that at Customs. It would also mean that the Canadian government has the serial number of every watch (or any other good for that matter) sold anywhere in the world in a database. Not likely.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 08:54 AM   #98
Israguard
"TRF" Member

I have smuggled one Rolex once and will never do it again. Because now I can't travel with it, as when I return they may ask me for proof of purchase. Risk is higher especially for those who take exceptionally good care of their watches.

I have also become a Nexus member in last 6 months and as a result, I will NEVER EVER lie to Customs anymore. I'm shocked that there are Nexus members here who don't declare. When you sign a document and swear to tell the truth etc... No matter what.. U must. I'm anal that way.
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 09:41 AM   #99
joleel7
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, PAM, BALL
I bought most of my watches outside Canada and never have problem bringing it back and out and back again. No way the custom has list of serial no. Of every single watches around the world BUT they may be able find out where the watch come from based on the serial no. Like I know HK Rolex is 888 etc.
joleel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 10:33 AM   #100
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israguard View Post
I have smuggled one Rolex once and will never do it again. Because now I can't travel with it, as when I return they may ask me for proof of purchase. Risk is higher especially for those who take exceptionally good care of their watches.

I have also become a Nexus member in last 6 months and as a result, I will NEVER EVER lie to Customs anymore. I'm shocked that there are Nexus members here who don't declare. When you sign a document and swear to tell the truth etc... No matter what.. U must. I'm anal that way.
i figured it was because you smuggled it "drug mule style".... lmao.

i dont have the paint the picture do i......lmao
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 12:12 PM   #101
MY-WATCH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
I have also found Canadian AD's to be the snootiest and bad attitude salespeople I have ever encountered. I never buy anything in Canada anymore even if it was cheaper when the exchange rates were US favorable.

I have gone up to AD's and asked to look at Rolexes etc and was met with the same attitude. Like I wasn't able to buy anything. They wouldn't take anything out of the case for me to look at. I just went 'oh brother' to myself, looked at my wife, then rolled up my sleeve to look at the time on my YG MOP yachtmaster and said 'Well, I guess it's time to go'.

Canadian retailers definitely do not know how to treat their customers.
That
MY-WATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2013, 01:05 PM   #102
mike@ec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II,
i got a few watches from HK, and i didnt declare them.. never had a problem
mike@ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2013, 12:33 PM   #103
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
Quote:
Well. I'm not trying to be a d!ck. lord knows I hate paying more for something than I have to. Friend had first hand experience with this bought a $10000 breitling on vacay in the Bahamas 3 years later. And he wore it for 3 years. Coming back from Vegas Canada customs asked him if he got the watch In Vegas. He said no. Custom agent asked to see it. And then took the watch with him for about 25 mins. Came back with the watch and a printout from a database with his serial. Make and model. Showing him it was originally purchased in the Bahamas. And that cdn tax was not paid. The watch got confiscated. 8 weeks later customs had determined the value of the watch tax and penalty and he had to pay 6 grand cdn. When he went to pick it up at the airport and pay. The lady customs agent pulled out a huge container with about 50 watches in small plastic sealed packages. He paid the 6 grand........ I don't know why. And is now questioned and examined in a small room everytime he returns to Canada. And asked to go inside border crossings. Worst move he ever did.
Do I want to pay the gov't more money than I already do. No. But am not going to risk this sh!t

If you think customs are stupid. Think again. If your honest, you might get a nice guy and not hose you on duties.

Yup and then they go to auction if not claimed... Sometimes at Old Mill other times at hotels. Airport Authority holds about 2 public auction a year.

Just waiting for the day I get one from auction cheap but they're so popular watch collectors go nuts come bidding time especially when they don't know the retail prices and over pay when you factor in taxes and auction fees.
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 04:37 PM   #104
gdavi77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I'm Canadian and have never experienced anything like that at Customs. It would also mean that the Canadian government has the serial number of every watch (or any other good for that matter) sold anywhere in the world in a database. Not likely.
I declared my Sub (at Pearson Airport, coming back from Vegas), paid the tax (they even reduced it!) and I don't recall any mention or note of a serial number.

If your going down with one, just get a green slip (can't recall what they are officially called) so they know your going down and coming back with it. No issues.
gdavi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 06:47 AM   #105
33JS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 50th Ann
Quote:
Serial numbers are on a database with customs. They can pull up your luxury watch and determine exactly where your watch was originally sold and if duties have been paid on it. If it has a serial number it's recorded in a database somewhere.
I'm sorry, and I mean no disrespect to you as 'messenger', but this is complete rubbish.

Anyone actually believing that Swiss watch manufacturers would happily give access to their closely guarded records is naive at best.

Companies like Rolex or PP or AP or Breitling or Omega or TAG, who never give out sales figures, who introduce random serial numbers to cause confusion on manufacture dates, just giving Canadian Customs access to any kind of reference system and risk losing closely guarded commercial data is pure fantasy.

I realise you were told this by your 'friend', but I'd suggest he has either fabricated / embellished the story, or has been caught out by a wily Customs officer who sold him a line to get him to confess.

As someone who travels Internationaly on a weekly basis, and has done so for many years, I've never once been asked about the watch I'm wearing whether AP, Rolex, Omega or anything else.
33JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 07:40 AM   #106
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I thought the same was true for google mail and stuff...
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 04:35 PM   #107
WolFF
"TRF" Member

I understand what everyone is saying. I'm only relaying a story as I heard it, as I wasn't there. He said there was a sheet of paper with his watch serial number and origin location was Bahamas. This was something that wasn't brought up until the customs agent showed him the paper. Which is where the watch originated from. So how would he find out this information without actual data. I understand what 33JS is saying and agree. And I would have never have thought myself until I heard this story. Keep in mind Canada customs is only concerned about 2 things stopping drugs. And charging duty/taxes. Who knows

On a side note. What kind of tax/duty percentages are people seeing when declaring ?
WolFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2013, 05:14 PM   #108
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

I'm from Montreal. My ad has told me horror stories of clients calling from the border and having to tell customs that they bought the rolex from them. He even tells the clients to keep the green warranty on them to show that it had a Canadian serial number
tommyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2013, 09:16 AM   #109
karolinec1
"TRF" Member

The duty rate on Swiss watches is 5% + GST/hst. It's nowhere near as horrendous as the duties on everything else when you purchase and import.
karolinec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 08:19 AM   #110
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Just to add, I declared another Rolex last week crossing the border and they only charged me 5%GST.

They can charge you both duty and GST, but, every time I've declared it crossing they've only ever charged me 5%.

I did have an IWC that they charged me both duty and tax when it was shipped to me and the seller sent it as a "warranty repair" without my knowledge.

Do the right thing and I find customs is actually really decent about it.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:33 AM   #111
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
Just to add, I declared another Rolex last week crossing the border and they only charged me 5%GST.

They can charge you both duty and GST, but, every time I've declared it crossing they've only ever charged me 5%.

I did have an IWC that they charged me both duty and tax when it was shipped to me and the seller sent it as a "warranty repair" without my knowledge.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 08:42 AM   #112
dicin
"TRF" Member

Why do we continue to get scammed in Canada and especially the province of Québec.
I pay enough taxes.
Governments should be ashamed of extorting all kinds of taxes from us.

You know my opinion.
GMT Master IIc 116710 LN
Patek Philippe, Panerai, Zenith, Breitling, Oris, Fortis, IWC, Seiko
dicin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 08:43 AM   #113
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
Pst is a funny thing. A company that USUALLY does out o province business is supposed to collect and remit PST for the other province, but If a company does not normally sell out of province then they don't have to, and technically it is then up to the purchaser to declare the purchase and remit the tax to their province of residence. So it all depends on the dealer whether or not you can "save " the pst. The best bet is to purchase it in Alberta where there is no pst.
Now having said all this remember that the entire Greek fiscal crisis is due to Greeks not paying taxes. Our society is expensive to run, and taxation is how it is paid. Perhaps you are better to look for a good discount and not worry about whether or not you are charged tax.
Royal de Versailles in Toronto seems to give good discounts, but you will pay tax.

Any company selling above a certain amount has to remit tax
They can ship to any province but have to collect the appropriate tax
No business owner I know would commit criminal tax evasion for a single sale
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 10:08 AM   #114
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicin View Post
Why do we continue to get scammed in Canada and especially the province of Québec.
I pay enough taxes.
Governments should be ashamed of extorting all kinds of taxes from us.

You know my opinion.
This isn't a Canadian thing, it's an everywhere thing... Products being sold in any country is subject to taxes and import duties.

5% is nothing when you compare some countries that have a crazy luxury tax and reg taxes that can be nearly 50%.

As for Quebec, talk to your provincial government.
Old 28 July 2013, 10:33 AM   #115
Jay Tee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520/PAM/PO2500
Quote:

Paying the tax gives you peace of mind; now you can travel anywhere with that watch and not worry about issues coming back into Canada and whether taxes and duties have been paid on that watch.

116520 - 16570 - 16610LV - 16710pepsi - 116234
Jay Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 10:45 AM   #116
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
This isn't a Canadian thing, it's an everywhere thing... Products being sold in any country is subject to taxes and import duties.

5% is nothing when you compare some countries that have a crazy luxury tax and reg taxes that can be nearly 50%.

As for Quebec, talk to your provincial government.
Here, Here .. It is what it is... Live with it.../get over it../and or move on.!..(Not that Im crazy about the options....but what other options are there...!!)..
Such is life...!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 02:00 PM   #117
Billywiz
Banned

Watch: YG President
Answer..the law is what it is...you are not just taking the risk but breaking the law. I think there is a very low chance of you getting stopped however Im not going to advise you to do something wrong ...good luck.
Billywiz is offline   Reply With Quote